Lt. Commander
# 541
02-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshosaur
Can anyone point me to the correct hotkey/command to take a screenshot with a standard Mac keyboard (you know, without a "Print Screen" key?)

Thanks!
On all Macs since the beginning of time, Command-Shift-3 saves a screenshot to disk. Using freeware TinkerTool, you can set what format these are saved in (default is PNG). If you type Command-Shift-4 then it lets you draw a square around whatever you want to capture, and the cursor shows you the dimension in pixels as you resize the square while dragging. Once you have the box sized right, release the mouse and it snaps a screenshot pre-cropped to the rectangle you specified. It saves the file to the desktop.

I believe you can change the command keys from Command-Shift-3/4 to whatever you want using the Keyboard control panel in System Preferences.

This is infinitely superior to Windows where you have to push Print-Screen, then go into Windows Paint and paste, crop, save. Bleh!
Lt. Commander
# 542
02-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
I don't put up a version with STO in it, because STO isn't mine... I guess I could ask them if I could put the patcher inside of it so it will automatically patch and install unless you manually copy in the files... but I don't want to make it a 10gb download for the .app, and some people don't want to download the entire contents, so I thought a normal Install was better.

If you have a full working Star Trek Online.app made this way, you can zip it, then copy it to any computer you want and it should run fine, as long as your running it on a normal admin user account. Just make sure you right click it and zip it up (compress option) first... just a direct copy could come up with some permission errors.
If they agree, we could setup a torrent for it so that it's not using your bandwidth. Could be a decent solution.
Lt. Commander
# 543
02-22-2010, 03:50 PM
On the 8800 GS iMac, I haven't had any luck using the suggested methods to prevent crashing when entering Earth starbase in ground mode. But it works fine on my Mac Pro with 285 GTX.

Another bug has to do with using mouselook: if you are dragging the mouse in mouselook, your cursor disappears (as it should) but then, if your dragging causes OS X to think that you've dragged the cursor oig of the Wineskin window area, or onto your second monitor, then the game camera angle will frak out, and your dock may un-hide itself. Even if you are on one monitor and you maximize the Wineskin window, then, you can't keep rotating the camera past the point where OS X thinks your cursor has reached the edge of the screen.

This bug makes playing on a Mac in windowed mode with the mouse very frustrating and combat impossible.

Also it would be nice to see, both on the Windows and Mac versions, the ability to drag the chat window, inventory window, character window, map window, etc. onto a seperate monitor, instead of them being forced to act as a HUD that overlies the game graphics window! I am not sure why game developers always make the various windows using their own graphics for buttons, window borders, and other UI elements, instead of just relying on the OS's windowing API's and thusly being able to have windows that could be minimized to the taskbar/dock, or dragged onto secondary monitors, etc. Can anyone tell me why?
Lt. Commander
# 544
02-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeraphAntilles
Another bug has to do with using mouselook
Yep, several of us have pointed this out, several times here. The problem is that the game isn't acquiring the mouse cursor in a way that's compatible with Wine. Not much can be done about this outside of the game itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeraphAntilles
I am not sure why game developers always make the various windows using their own graphics for buttons, window borders, and other UI elements, instead of just relying on the OS's windowing API's and thusly being able to have windows that could be minimized to the taskbar/dock, or dragged onto secondary monitors, etc. Can anyone tell me why?
Mostly, it's down to speed: the system APIs are simply not fast enough to use for real-time 3D games. As well as that, in order to use the system APIs, the app would have to be written so that it used the system canvas-style APIs, and even if the windowing APIs were fast enough, the system calls aren't capable of displaying this kind of content at all.
Lt. Commander
# 545
02-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Wow, I must say, this is wonderful. I set up windows and bootcamp specifically so I could play STO, and now I don't even need that. Extra bit of irony: the game runs better for me on OSX than it did on windows. Hopefully a fix can be found for the mouselook craziness, that makes things very hard for a not-keyboard-turner like myself.

One thing I did notice, the 27" iMac's native resolution (2560x1440) isn't in your setup program. A little editing to the plist file fixed that however.

Thanks for this wrapper app, it's wonderful!
Lt. Commander
# 546
02-23-2010, 12:27 AM
I put all the STO files into Program files in the Star Trek Wineskin package, i then double click on the star trek online app and it just tells me to install, set screen options or quit.

my STO folder is not called Star Trek Online or Cryptic Studios, its called, Live. It appears to have all the data in it.

whats wrooooong
Lt. Commander
# 547
02-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Quote:
thats true for standard Wine. The Wineskin wrapper used here automatically recreates/fix the correct mapping to the current user on every run... and "My Documents" goes to ~/Documents, which all OSX users have by default. Without having it do this, Wine maps things wrong on OSX... the desktop will get mapped right, but everything else just maps to the home folder.

using "mapping" is the wrong term really, which throws some confusion. Really it stores everything in its own directory structure, and the "mapping" is nothing more than symlinks in the right spots. Even drive Z that Wine sees is a symlink to /

Uninstall and reinstall what?

I don't put up a version with STO in it, because STO isn't mine... I guess I could ask them if I could put the patcher inside of it so it will automatically patch and install unless you manually copy in the files... but I don't want to make it a 10gb download for the .app, and some people don't want to download the entire contents, so I thought a normal Install was better.

If you have a full working Star Trek Online.app made this way, you can zip it, then copy it to any computer you want and it should run fine, as long as your running it on a normal admin user account. Just make sure you right click it and zip it up (compress option) first... just a direct copy could come up with some permission errors.

Multisampling will not change that error at all. The UseGLSL option might, and worth a try, which I have listed in the first post. What GPU do you have though? usually that error comes about from incompatibility problems though. If its Intel GMA graphics, like in some older Macbooks and Mac Minis (and a few older iMacs), you cannot use this.
Sorry, I might have sounded new, and I thought where there is an install there is an uninstall. Anyways, I currently own the game, but I have the Star Trek Online DDE series. For some reason I can't unarchive it. It keeps popping up error messages. Doesn't unzip the file. What the heck?
Please help doh123. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 548
02-23-2010, 12:48 AM
So does anybody have an idea on how to fix my lighting issues?
Lt. Commander
# 549
02-23-2010, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkub View Post
One thing I did notice, the 27" iMac's native resolution (2560x1440) isn't in your setup program. A little editing to the plist file fixed that however.
Apple always uses such weird resolutions... I'll have to add that one in, wasn't in my list of standard resolutions. I need to add in a way it can poll the machine and get available resolutions... but I haven't gotten around to figuring that one out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleri_arrakis
I put all the STO files into Program files in the Star Trek Wineskin package, i then double click on the star trek online app and it just tells me to install, set screen options or quit.

my STO folder is not called Star Trek Online or Cryptic Studios, its called, Live. It appears to have all the data in it.

whats wrooooong
It has to be named exactly right or it will not work. If it has a different folder name the launcher will not be able to find it.

rename things or whatever you have to do, to make the inside of it look like this picture, and it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurt.locker
Sorry, I might have sounded new, and I thought where there is an install there is an uninstall. Anyways, I currently own the game, but I have the Star Trek Online DDE series. For some reason I can't unarchive it. It keeps popping up error messages. Doesn't unzip the file. What the heck?
Please help doh123. Thanks.
what doesn't unzip? the download from here? make sure you use the standard unarchiver that comes with OSX, and not some 3rd party unzipper program, as people have had problems with a few of them. If its a problem with the DDE edition of STO, I don't know... maybe try different program as well. Either way your download might be corrupted, which means you have to download over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjb0812 View Post
So does anybody have an idea on how to fix my lighting issues?
no idea.

I know most of my lights do not glow right if under video options, down under the Effects section, I have "Visual fx quality" set to anything but high.... other than that, just not sure.

Radeon X1600s have some serious driver issues in OSX. There are many actual native games that have rendering problems on those cards, and some games that even say they do not support X1600s. I find they have run a lot better, but still not perfect, under OSX 10.6 ...
Lt. Commander
# 550
02-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Quote:
It has to be named exactly right or it will not work. If it has a different folder name the launcher will not be able to find it.

rename things or whatever you have to do, to make the inside of it look like this picture, and it will work.
I seeeeee, you know its strange i only have or can only find the 'live folder' does this mean i gotta reinstall to get thecrptic folder
Closed Thread