Lt. Commander
# 51
01-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Ok, having switched screens, it's clear that Wine is treating my setup as being a desktop of 5120x1600. If my second screen is on the left, STO is drawn off the top of that screen. If I move it to the right however, it draws on my larger monitor correctly.

With this dual setup, moving the camera is a bit awkward; it's as though the cursor goes off the right of the large screen and then the co-ordinates go a bit screwy.

I also cannot get the Alt key to work at all (on the Mac side, I have Command and Option switched around as I use an MS keyboard).

Other than that, it runs absolutely perfectly...

Ooh, I just had one crash when docking at Deepspace K-7 -- I couldn't see the dialog box though so don't know what the problem is.

@OP: great job configuring and pulling all this together!

@coderanger: the JS error is in launcher_login, line 42 character 7 error 80040154 code 0. The dialog doesn't give any friendly information like an error message.
Lt. Commander
# 52
01-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarTrekUnited
Everythings working ok except sometimes things top refreshing and it gets washed out. I saw your solution but how do you type it in the command line? Do you mean terminal?

Nope bottom left, where the messages pop up from other players, type in there. Im having a lot of luck with a hi res setup of 1920 / 1200 and running /renderscale 0.5. No graphical glitches (except suns look a little funny) and no crashes. It looks ok and runs sweet. Having a lot of fun.
Lt. Commander
# 53
01-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Multimonitors will be a problem. This is due to problems in Xquartz fullscreen mode, not Wine directly. Some day if we can get the wine quartz driver good we won't need X11 on OSX for Wine. That, or if Xquartz ever becomes fully featured... or Codeweavers releases their custom X server they use in Crossover

as for the renderscale fix, I'll try to make the post more clear about it. You have to type it in in the chat box inside of the game. If it was anywhere else, I'd have the wrapper do it automatically for you, but I can't hack the game itself.
Lt. Commander
# 54
01-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongle View Post
Desperate to get the game patched but it won't download more than about 11 meg at a time. On a half meg connection this is painful!

Any possible fixes for this?
if the patcher times out for whatever reason, for some reason its closing... I don't know if its a bug in Wine, or the patcher when using in Wine.. but I have ran into it as well.. it'll stall then time out then just closes... it may be crashing the IE rendering engine and Wine shuts down.... I'm working on using IE7 instead of IE6 in there.. which works a bit better, but has some other bugs I'm seeing if I can work around.

I also know that hitting "options" on the patcher screen can take 30 seconds to a minute to appear with IE6... it doesn't happen in IE7, and IE7 has no script errors... it just has an annoying pop up blank window you have to close every time, and the "engage" button text always stays "patch" no matter what stage it is in...

working on that and the in-game font issues some before releasing a new version... but I've tried about everything I can think of in the way of Xquartz and Wine fonts, even using font packages that I cannot redistribute.. just for testing... but the font is always the same ugly one in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 55
01-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Has anyone tried using Winetricks' IE7 install? It seems to work under Linux at least and should work better with the launcher. Given what you describe, I'm guessing the JS error is related to pngfix.js (which is what re-enabled PNG transparency on IE6), granted I have no idea why it wouldn't work.
Lt. Commander
# 56
01-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the reply on the window crashing, I managed to get at least 50 meg done earlier this evening, then had to use the machine for something and the app subsequently crashed. Hope you manage to get IE7 working. Keep up the good work.
Lt. Commander
# 57
01-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Has anyone tried using Winetricks' IE7 install? It seems to work under Linux at least and should work better with the launcher. Given what you describe, I'm guessing the JS error is related to pngfix.js (which is what re-enabled PNG transparency on IE6), granted I have no idea why it wouldn't work.
I've been testing IE7 and it works better, but it has 2 main issues...

1.. when it first starts it pops up and empty white box you have to X to close before you can log in....
2.. the "patch"/"engange" button never changes... it always says patch no matter what.

other than that its better.. no errors, and the png transparency looks right... and the Options window opens right away, not a minute later.

do you know of anyway to make it always do a /renderscale 1.001 and have it stick? I tried with the log in patcher that shows -renderScale as an option, but it only works if its set to 0.5

and the /renderscale option in game doesn't always stick, very often when zoning to other locations it sets itself back to 100%... even if I had it on 200%... only 50% set by the Options menu seems to stick. Maybe they can upgrade the "half resolution" options to instead be like City of Heroes, which lets you choose an actual res, not just halve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongle View Post
Thanks for the reply on the window crashing, I managed to get at least 50 meg done earlier this evening, then had to use the machine for something and the app subsequently crashed. Hope you manage to get IE7 working. Keep up the good work.
I'm going to put up an Alpha 3 that will use IE7 for the log in window soon... hopefully it'll work better for initial patching as well.
Lt. Commander
# 58
01-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
I've been testing IE7 and it works better, but it has 2 main issues...

1.. when it first starts it pops up and empty white box you have to X to close before you can log in....
2.. the "patch"/"engange" button never changes... it always says patch no matter what...

I'm going to put up an Alpha 3 that will use IE7 for the log in window soon... hopefully it'll work better for initial patching as well.
Well, as long as people are made aware of the issues and they are workable then it should be fine! Really looking forward to the next version, will be refreshing for most of this evening now.
Lt. Commander
# 59
01-24-2010, 12:44 PM
I've started testing this on the following system:

System Info: Model: MacBook Pro, Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa CPU: 2 @ 2.4 GHz L2: 4 MB RAM: 4 GB OS X: Version 10.6.2 (Build 10C540)

Are you planning on releasing a version that will work with the retail versions of the game once they ship?
Lt. Commander
# 60
01-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatewayy View Post
I've started testing this on the following system:

System Info: Model: MacBook Pro, Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa CPU: 2 @ 2.4 GHz L2: 4 MB RAM: 4 GB OS X: Version 10.6.2 (Build 10C540)

Are you planning on releasing a version that will work with the retail versions of the game once they ship?
I plan on always having a working version until they release an official version... so it might be months.. or years.. who knows. Got to at least have a version for myself to use.. just I like to share it with others instead of hoarding it all to myself.

on many macbook (Pro) i suggest using SMCfancontrol... and manually psinning your fans up faser to help keep cool. I know on my Macbook it waits til its in the 90 C range before spinning up.. wich is crazy.. I like ot keep it at 80 or lower...

this is even more needed for a Santa Rosa model that has the 8600s that die easy.
Closed Thread