Lt. Commander
# 631
02-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkub View Post
Odd anomaly... from time to time when I'm typing letters get dropped. More specifically, I think it's only been the letter H. Might this have something to do with the cmd-H shortcut?
yeah... I've been noticing that, just the H key really.... some multi mapping and fighting problems.

I'm not too worried about keyboard problems just now... soon when the new version of Xquartz is out it should be a lot better.

lately also, after multitasking some, occasionally Xquartz fullscreen hides itself for a second... it stays as the active app but just disappears and flashes the desktop for a second... and if you are hitting the keys just right when it happens it sticks on the desktop and you gotta click back in game....
Lt. Commander
# 632
02-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
OSX is VERY different than Windows or Linux...
Close relative of Linux, actually; any old unix hand can find their way around it. No relation to the VMS family that Windows is from.

Quote:
It was never done, and there are still people working in Wine that want it, just no one willing to take the time to do it that knows how. The one they had that was "working" before Wine 1.0 barely worked and only worked for a few things... it was no where near fully usable implementation.
More or less complete, but was buggy. Nobody seems to be interested in working on it; mac users just use parallels or bootcamp anyway.

Quote:
It doesn't need to be written in ObjC to work.... C can interface with everything needed as far as i can tell.
The macosx library you need to interface with is Cocoa, which only provides an objc interface. The legacy Carbon interface is deprecated, and not even available for long mode applications. Apple are trying to kill off C interfaces.
Lt. Commander
# 633
02-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Quote:
switching the main download over to a dropbox link made it where I cannot track downloads of the STO download. Wineskin isn't STO specific, so its downloads wont help
Since you established that people did not really like downloading from mediafire perhaps sourceforge, is a good place to put the downloads, since you have control of the sourceforge project for Wineskin anyways. Since the game specific wrappers are really more forks in the main Wineskin tree anyways, so I dont think there is anything that goes against the term of service. Ff upload to sourceforge is a problem, then PM me, and we can work something out.
Lt. Commander
# 634
02-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Dear doh123. I appear to be having the same problem other windows users are having with the luancher. It begins to patch but always cuts out at about 4% and doesn't keep the parts it downloads just starts from scratch. Cryptic have created a test luancher to try to resolve this issue but my attempts to incorperate it into the wrapper have failed. Is there any way of adding in the luancher so the wrapper uses the new one instead of the old?
Here is the link to the post with the new luancher.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...122001&page=18
Thanks for your time,
Lt. Commander
# 635
02-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
Close relative of Linux, actually; any old unix hand can find their way around it. No relation to the VMS family that Windows is from.
I was referring to something specific, not overall general OS details.

Quote:
More or less complete, but was buggy. Nobody seems to be interested in working on it; mac users just use parallels or bootcamp anyway.
hard for people to care about using something they have no idea that exists. I'm surprised that Codeweavers doesn't have someone working on it so they can quit using their old x.org build for Crossover.

Quote:
The macosx library you need to interface with is Cocoa, which only provides an objc interface. The legacy Carbon interface is deprecated, and not even available for long mode applications. Apple are trying to kill off C interfaces.
Apple wants everyone to do cocoa with ObjC... I'm far from an cocoa expert, but from what I've read its technically possible still to use C to do everything needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket-Pidgeon
Dear doh123. I appear to be having the same problem other windows users are having with the luancher. It begins to patch but always cuts out at about 4% and doesn't keep the parts it downloads just starts from scratch. Cryptic have created a test luancher to try to resolve this issue but my attempts to incorperate it into the wrapper have failed. Is there any way of adding in the luancher so the wrapper uses the new one instead of the old?
Here is the link to the post with the new luancher.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...122001&page=18
Thanks for your time,
what exactly happens? what kind of cut out? it just stops downloading? errors? How Wine works is uniform between all Macs, it is extremely unlikely its anything related to that thread, from what I saw.
Lt. Commander
# 636
02-28-2010, 04:30 AM
Quote:
what exactly happens? what kind of cut out? it just stops downloading? errors? How Wine works is uniform between all Macs, it is extremely unlikely its anything related to that thread, from what I saw.
Bassically it just kills the modem connection, seems quite a few other people are having the problem. Your right the problem is nothing to do with your wine skin more with cryptics luancher. I'm asking if theres anyway I can download the test luancher from the link I gave and insert it into the wrapper so that it uses the new luancher rather than the original?
Lt. Commander
# 637
02-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket-Pidgeon
Bassically it just kills the modem connection, seems quite a few other people are having the problem. Your right the problem is nothing to do with your wine skin more with cryptics luancher. I'm asking if theres anyway I can download the test luancher from the link I gave and insert it into the wrapper so that it uses the new luancher rather than the original?
I didn't look at it that close... it should be doable.

if its just replacement files, replace the files just like you'd do on Windows. If it has to load a different .exe file ... then either edit the Info.plist to point to the right .exe, or download Wineskin RC7 and get the WineskinSettings.app out, replace the only in the STO app, and set the right .exe to run through that.
Lt. Commander
# 638
02-28-2010, 04:45 PM
I've tried the fix for the cryptic Oops error but it doesn't seem to work. Any other ideas???
Thanks

Quote:
Update: Beta 4 is up...

Changes in beta 4
  • AA is back to being grayed out, it never worked right and only cuased problems.
  • WineskinSettings.app is customized for STO so it should be simpler to use.
  • Tried to make a better looking Icon than the horrid 48x48 official one.
  • Using a full release version of Wineskin RC7 which has many bug fixes.
  • Thanks to the STO patch, /renderscale workaround is no longer needed.

What the heck is the Unofficial Mac version?
Its a mac .app you can put the Windows version inside of, and run it on Mac OS X without having to install or use Windows! The final product looks and works like a normal Mac .app (for the most part). This download is a "wrapper" not the full game. You will have to either copy your installed version from Windows inside of it (fastest), or reinstall the game into it and do full patching and everything...

just a big note...

this is not made by or supported in any way by Cryptic Studios, or anyone associated with Cryptic Studios.. this is entirely fan made, by me (@doh123)... with the use of my own project called Wineskin, which uses Wine, and Xquartz to run Windows software.

The download I'm providing is fine for playing... It's still "beta" but works very well. If no major errors are found in this, and I can't seem to get anything else fixed easily, beta4 might turn into version 1.0 with no changes.

System Requirements are the same as Windows version, since it uses the Windows version, but it runs on Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5, or 10.6. Only Nvidia and ATI GPUs will work right. Intel GMA950 and X3100 will not work, sorry... PowerPC Macs will also not work, this is Intel Mac only.
***Download link is at the bottom***

List of known issues
  • Fonts have historically been messed up looking, they seem to be better lately after some Cryptic patches, and can actually be read at small UI scaling now, but still not quite as clear as Windows, but tons better than they used to be.
  • antialiasing is not functional
  • sun/stars nearby in the background of space missions might have texture drawing errors and get flashy when moving the camera around
  • alt key is usually not functional on most machines... this is an Xquartz keymapping problem... newer xquartz testing versions work better, but are still unstable. For now, going to have to live without alt.
  • due to limitations in Xquartz, Multimonitor set ups can be a hassle. The game will want to play only on the left-most monitor, wether its the primary or not. Turn on video mirroring if your going to play fullscreen. If you play in a window, it should be ok.
  • running in the normal VIrtual Desktop window mode can have the mouse reactions go super fast while turning yourself or the camera... the farther you move the mouse... can be a bit annoying.
  • Software Mouse turns on by itself... Sometimes it turns on, and you get a ghosty mouse. Just go in STO video options under Troubleshooting, and turn software mouse cursor off, and it'll work fine.

Crashing on startup, after log in, with a cryptic Oops error??
or using an ATI card with bad graphics?
this should fix it, until I make a new wrapper that has an easier way...

inside the wrapper at Contents/Resources there is a file called user.reg
you can open this in TextEdit.app.
use search and find (without the quotes) "Software\\Wine\\Direct3D"

when you find that you should see a line under it that says...
"UseGLSL"="disabled"
change the word from disabled, to enabled.... save and exit... and try again. If it still crashes, go back and change it to disabled and try again.
this is known to fix some graphics problems on some ATI cards as well.

How do I multitask in fullscreen?
You can hide STO with the normal Hide shortcut while its running... CMD+H and get back to your desktop.
Be warned though that if you had STO running at a different resolution than the one you normally run, you'll still be in that resolution.

Click here to download Star Trek Online Unofficial Mac version Beta4
The download comes with directions on how to use this wrapper

double click the .zip file to unzip it, it will give you a folder with the wrapper, and directions.

Backup Download Link at Mediafire-->click me

Please give feedback how this works for you.
Your System type, processor, ram, graphics card, and OS version would be nice.

NOTE:
I have no idea how to get this to work with a Steam version. I designed it for use with the normal version of STO that works on its own... people have said you can get the steam version working, but I do not know the exact steps myself. If someone wants to test it out and get it working and let me know the exact steps, I can list them here.

THANKS!
we all need to give thanks to some people....

Cryptic Studios for making the great game.... they've even been very helpful in running it under Wine for Mac and Linux users. They even helped fix our graphics smearing issue....

Codeweavers for Wine development. They made a couple of patches which fixed issues so that STO could run right under Wine. They also help run the Wine project and develop Wine, which they use in their Crossover Product for Mac and Linux.

and a big thanks to all my early testers, who helped out finding bugs and testing fixes, in game or reporting back here... as well as anyone else who still assists. I want to keep making this better over time if at all possible.
Lt. Commander
# 639
02-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash82 View Post
I've tried the fix for the cryptic Oops error but it doesn't seem to work. Any other ideas???
Thanks
Whats your machine specs? CPU, GPU, Ram, OS version...
Lt. Commander
# 640
03-01-2010, 08:36 AM
The beta runs great! thanks for the port.

The only issue that I am having is that I am missing textures. All the parts that have windows on ships are just thick blue bars and black windows and the lights on the necelle's and deflector are black. Any idea's on how to fix this or is it a known issue with no work-around?

Thanks!
Closed Thread