Lt. Commander
# 681
03-06-2010, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Orig_Jean_Luc_Picard
He did try to download and install the client installer in wineskin from his account menu on STO website, and it gave him all kinds of errors. He uninstalled and reinstalled, but I think that it still might have messed something up that doesn't get removed with an uninstall. Is there anything that would be left behind after an un-install that would have to be manually removed???
did he do it just like in the youtube video?
Lt. Commander
# 682
03-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwane View Post
What's that?
its in the main post... about crashes or ATI GPUs... how to change a UseGLSL thing in the Wine registry
Lt. Commander
# 683
03-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
I'm not a big fan of dmg files for most things.... and this is just a simple .zip

not that I know of....

if he copied the install multiple times it could have gotten corrupted. which can give errors, including ones about space.

If you take an installed version that works just fine in Windows, you can copy it over to a Mac as long as their is enough hard drive space. Any errors copying means either there is drive or filesystem problems on the Mac, or the files your copying has corruption.

You should try just doing a new install in the wrapper if you can... the installer doesn't like Wine a lot, or visa versa, so it might take a couple of hours to finish the install, but it should install to the right spot.

That or do a clean install in Windows and make sure its working... then copy it directly over.
Yeah that is what we are going to try next is full install from Wineskin wrapper from the second part on the youtube video. Unfortunately he live 1500 miles away and doesn't have a PC (hes a mac guy but wants to play) so I am trying to figure out how to get him the program to see if it will even work for him the way he wants it too before he buys it and wasts the $50. I gave him my 5 day buddy card. Would creating a disc image and sending that to him to put on a disc work?
Lt. Commander
# 684
03-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Yeah that is what we are going to try next is full install from Wineskin wrapper from the second part on the youtube video. Unfortunately he live 1500 miles away and doesn't have a PC (hes a mac guy but wants to play) so I am trying to figure out how to get him the program to see if it will even work for him the way he wants it too before he buys it and wasts the $50. I gave him my 5 day buddy card. Would creating a disc image and sending that to him to put on a disc work?
don't know the speed of his connection, might be easier to just do a normal download of the client on his own?... or you could give him a stripped down version that can run the patcher and download the rest. But he might eat up most of the 5 days doing that if he has a slow connection....

do you know the actual full specs of his computer?
Lt. Commander
# 685
03-06-2010, 10:37 AM
I updated the first post near the download link.. with a download link to a test version i stuck together I called Test 40a. I'd appreciate anyone who wants to try this out... If you just want to play and not worry about testing, just stick with beta4 for now.

It most likely will not run fully right on Mac OS X 10.4

There are no major major changes to how the game will play...

Its using a fully stock build of Wine 1.1.40

It has a full WineskinSettings.app so anything that needs to be done can be done.

It has a newer devel version of Xquartz, but I do not think it is going to help anything.... need the 2.5.0 RC to get the keyboard bugs worked out.

I added directions on how to get it to run in a STO Window, no virtual desktop, which fixes the mouse cursor going wild problem.... just know its a pain that way...

The entire wrapper structure has changed... this is using a development version of a Wineskin wrapper I'm still working on... the main difference you'll see (besides not having it working right in 10.4 yet) is that it no longer has a launcher and running Icon, it all runs under a single icon.

EDIT: ok forget this for now. i'll get it back up later... apparently on my new system of Wineskin I have some "export to full wrapper" problems and the wrapper isn't running right if shared... so I'll get a test up later.
Lt. Commander
# 686
03-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote:
don't know the speed of his connection, might be easier to just do a normal download of the client on his own?... or you could give him a stripped down version that can run the patcher and download the rest. But he might eat up most of the 5 days doing that if he has a slow connection....

do you know the actual full specs of his computer?
Well thats what we tried first. He downloaded the client downloader from STO and seconds after he clicked install from within the wrapper it gave errors. Then I uploaded my folder to his FTP server to try the first way in the video. Now we are going to try the actual disc this time by an image.

But explain what you mean by stripped down version that can run the patcher? I am not fully following you on that one. Where would I find it?

As far as I know his connection is fast, mine other the other hand uploading is slow. Only 1mb up. But it only runs at 117kbs. Took about 14 hours the first time, but it didn't affect me at all though...lol. I didn't even notice any lag in the game while I was playing at the same time I was on my teamspeak server...

I know he has a MAC Book Pro with a ATI Rad X1600 which I see might give problems, but I figured it was worth a shot anyways just to see if he could even attempt to play it. He is a die hard MAC fan. At this point I am almost temped to buy him a PC that I know would work from a friend for a couple bucks... But I will attempt to get his full specs. Maybe the problem all along is his computer isn't compatible...lol That would be funny... All this work to find out his computer isn't even able to run it...

Thanks for all the help you are providing...
Lt. Commander
# 687
03-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Quote:
But I will attempt to get his full specs. Maybe the problem all along is his computer isn't compatible...lol That would be funny... All this work to find out his computer isn't even able to run it...
Here are the full specs...

Mac-book Pro 15"
Intel Core Duo 2.16 GHz Processor
2 GB ram
OS X 10.58
ATI Radeon X1600 256MB VRam
26GB space left on HD (111 GB Capacity)
Latest Wineskin (From website at the top of post)
Lt. Commander
# 688
03-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Quote:
But explain what you mean by stripped down version that can run the patcher? I am not fully following you on that one. Where would I find it?
if you take out almost all the main game files of STO and run it, the log in/patcher will download everything you need.

Quote:
I know he has a MAC Book Pro with a ATI Rad X1600 which I see might give problems, but I figured it was worth a shot anyways just to see if he could even attempt to play it. He is a die hard MAC fan. At this point I am almost temped to buy him a PC that I know would work from a friend for a couple bucks... But I will attempt to get his full specs. Maybe the problem all along is his computer isn't compatible...lol That would be funny... All this work to find out his computer isn't even able to run it...

Thanks for all the help you are providing...
If this doesn't work or work good enough... it would be a lot cheaper than buying a computer if he simply used Bootcamp to set his computer up as a dual boot... but with that tiny hard drive, might need a lot of cleaning up, and wasted space just for 1 game.... so still would be cheaper to upgrade the hard drive.

Quote:
Here are the full specs...

Mac-book Pro 15"
Intel Core Duo 2.16 GHz Processor
2 GB ram
OS X 10.58
ATI Radeon X1600 256MB VRam
26GB space left on HD (111 GB Capacity)
Latest Wineskin (From website at the top of post)
that should be able to run it decently enough at lower settings....

but what do you mean by "Latest Wineskin"

If you just mean the beta4 STO wrapper that is a Wineskin wrapper, thats fine... if your trying to use a normal Wineskin RC7 download... it wont run STO. Wineskin is a tool used to make wrappers, a default download one will not run many things, it has to be customized for the app its running, which is why I have a STO customized one to use in the main download link in the first post. It is fully self contained, you don't need anything else installed, just the STO wrapper, from the rainbow marked download link, and he must be running under a User account that has admin access, not a limited account.

with an X1600, he will probably have to try the GLSL thing, but thats just editing a text file.
Lt. Commander
# 689
03-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Quote:
I updated the first post near the download link.. with a download link to a test version i stuck together I called Test 40a. I'd appreciate anyone who wants to try this out... If you just want to play and not worry about testing, just stick with beta4 for now.

It most likely will not run fully right on Mac OS X 10.4

There are no major major changes to how the game will play...

Its using a fully stock build of Wine 1.1.40

It has a full WineskinSettings.app so anything that needs to be done can be done.

It has a newer devel version of Xquartz, but I do not think it is going to help anything.... need the 2.5.0 RC to get the keyboard bugs worked out.

I added directions on how to get it to run in a STO Window, no virtual desktop, which fixes the mouse cursor going wild problem.... just know its a pain that way...

The entire wrapper structure has changed... this is using a development version of a Wineskin wrapper I'm still working on... the main difference you'll see (besides not having it working right in 10.4 yet) is that it no longer has a launcher and running Icon, it all runs under a single icon.

EDIT: ok forget this for now. i'll get it back up later... apparently on my new system of Wineskin I have some "export to full wrapper" problems and the wrapper isn't running right if shared... so I'll get a test up later.
ok.. found where my bugs were and I stuck Test 40a back up....
Lt. Commander
# 690
03-06-2010, 04:01 PM
it's working form now but it have to be on full screen low res. and it's slow
but I'm happy to finaly play and until i get My new computer I'm fine thank you to you all
Closed Thread