Lt. Commander
# 691
03-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
if you take out almost all the main game files of STO and run it, the log in/patcher will download everything you need.
This helps Tremendously. I played around with it on another computer of mine to see how it works, and this might just be the ticket we need.

Quote:
but what do you mean by "Latest Wineskin"

If you just mean the beta4 STO wrapper that is a Wineskin wrapper, thats fine... if your trying to use a normal Wineskin RC7 download... it wont run STO. Wineskin is a tool used to make wrappers, a default download one will not run many things, it has to be customized for the app its running, which is why I have a STO customized one to use in the main download link in the first post. It is fully self contained, you don't need anything else installed, just the STO wrapper, from the rainbow marked download link, and he must be running under a User account that has admin access, not a limited account.

with an X1600, he will probably have to try the GLSL thing, but thats just editing a text file.

Yeah it was just the wrapper from your site. That's what I meaning anyways...
I will be helping him tonight when he gets off but hopefully this is the ticket I needed.... Thanks again for the help!
Lt. Commander
# 692
03-06-2010, 06:15 PM
I just got a new iMac and this .app works great. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 693
03-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Speaking of the GLSL thing...

I did it, and the game launched great after I did, but when I try to change the resolution to my desktop resolution, I get a crash. Any ideas?

(Apologies if the answer is elsewhere in this monster of a thread, heh.)
Lt. Commander
# 694
03-08-2010, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivanagoya
Speaking of the GLSL thing...

I did it, and the game launched great after I did, but when I try to change the resolution to my desktop resolution, I get a crash. Any ideas?

(Apologies if the answer is elsewhere in this monster of a thread, heh.)
it crashes and doesn't keep the resolution?

try changing it manually before launching STO... you can edit the preferences file for STO, its located inside the wrapper... inside the Cryptic Studios folder, at "drive_c/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/localdate/gameprefs.pref" You can open that file in TextEdit.app and edit where the resolution entry is...

it'll have an entry kind of like this....
Quote:
PrefEntry GfxSettings.ScreenHeight 900

PrefEntry GfxSettings.ScreenWidth 1440
just change the numbers to what you need and see if it works. Just be careful to not change around any of the formatting in the file.
Lt. Commander
# 695
03-08-2010, 03:01 AM
Quote:
it crashes and doesn't keep the resolution?

try changing it manually before launching STO... you can edit the preferences file for STO, its located inside the wrapper... inside the Cryptic Studios folder, at "drive_c/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/localdate/gameprefs.pref" You can open that file in TextEdit.app and edit where the resolution entry is...

it'll have an entry kind of like this....

just change the numbers to what you need and see if it works. Just be careful to not change around any of the formatting in the file.
Hmm. That made it work OK (thanks!), but I crash on "Recommended" graphics settings (which work fine under Boot Camp) but not under "Low". Which of the settings is the likely culprit? "Low" is pretty fugly... (My machine's a 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo, about a year old, if that's important.)
Lt. Commander
# 696
03-08-2010, 04:53 PM
I'd suggest just keep changing things and trying until you figure it out...

have you tried Test 40a at all, or just beta4?
Lt. Commander
# 697
03-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Quote:
I'd suggest just keep changing things and trying until you figure it out...

have you tried Test 40a at all, or just beta4?
Just beta4. Might the test version work better?

I'll start fiddling when I get home! Thanks for the help.
Lt. Commander
# 698
03-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivanagoya
Just beta4. Might the test version work better?

I'll start fiddling when I get home! Thanks for the help.
its a little different, but it has newer Wine and newer Xquartz... but only slightly newer... worth a shot though.
Lt. Commander
# 699
03-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Ay chance the STO mac client opens compressed zip file into the wineskin?

I downloaded my version from d2d, tried to download again in mac OSX but comes in .zip file I know stuffit expander or file juicer might pull it off and give me the expanded files, but any chance for the client to unzip and install automatically literally would save 5-7 hours of unpacking
Lt. Commander
# 700
03-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.kukulcan View Post
Ay chance the STO mac client opens compressed zip file into the wineskin?

I downloaded my version from d2d, tried to download again in mac OSX but comes in .zip file I know stuffit expander or file juicer might pull it off and give me the expanded files, but any chance for the client to unzip and install automatically literally would save 5-7 hours of unpacking
.zip is handled by default in OSX, no extra software needed... should just be able to double click and unzip it.... even if Wineskin handled the unzipping for you, it would still unzip it and take just as long as you unzipping it yourself. Theres no way it would take hours to unzip it unless its corrupted.
Closed Thread