Lt. Commander
# 701
03-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Updated main post for download of Test 40b

I think Test 40b is running really well, if a few people can test it out and let me know... its possible it can replace beta4 as is.... I only had 2 people even say anything to me about test 40a... so would appreciate if more people felt like trying it out.

Changes since 40a
  • Several Wineskin fixes, upgraded to a good working Wineskin 1.0 beta1 wrapper
  • unlike 40a, this version *should* run fine in OSX 10.4
  • Updated 'Manual' a bit, with a table of contents, so its slightly easier to find info in.

Test 40b Download Link
Lt. Commander
# 702 Thanks
03-11-2010, 05:48 PM
doh123

I want to thank you for doing this. This is so wonderful and it work really well. Now officially I have no major issues running the games in Bootcamp on Win 7 but I have to halt most my productivity work at the same time.

Now there are only 3 games i ever play and are my only reason for having a windows partition. STO of course, LOTRO and Sometimes Eve.

I can't find a wrapper for LOTRO and I would like some starting advice for making my own. I Already picked up a copy of Wineskin, so to get the setup stated should i just run a clean install of lotro into the wineskin should that satisfy all the registry needs basically?

Please feel free to respond in PM I don't want to hijack the main point of the thread. At any rate you have my thanks.

BTW would also not mind a link to an EVE wrapper already done.
Lt. Commander
# 703
03-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by livemic
doh123

I want to thank you for doing this. This is so wonderful and it work really well. Now officially I have no major issues running the games in Bootcamp on Win 7 but I have to halt most my productivity work at the same time.

Now there are only 3 games i ever play and are my only reason for having a windows partition. STO of course, LOTRO and Sometimes Eve.

I can't find a wrapper for LOTRO and I would like some starting advice for making my own. I Already picked up a copy of Wineskin, so to get the setup stated should i just run a clean install of lotro into the wineskin should that satisfy all the registry needs basically?

Please feel free to respond in PM I don't want to hijack the main point of the thread. At any rate you have my thanks.

Eve has an official Cider port ... (and has for as long as I can remember)
Lt. Commander
# 704
03-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Hello, I was very interested in this project and have watched it for a long time. I tested it a very long time ago but it didn't work, it installed correctly and such and even made it past the engage screen but a problem occurred. It would always freeze about halfway through the cryptic/atari loadbar and then display an error, I thought that, since it was very early in its development, it could be a bug, so I waited (I tried it back in early/mid Feb).

I decided to try it again today, exact same thing happened. Exact same thing. Froze about halfway through the cryptic/atari loadbar, same error as well, here's a picture of the error, if that helps. It says 1.42 gb ram avalible while my istat shows I obviously have... quite a bit more (around 6 gb free even)
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1268363140

am I doing something wrong to produce this? I'd really love to get rid of that burden machine on my bootcamp, while the solid state drive makes it no problem to restart and such, it really halts everything else I want to do. So in other words, if I want to play STO, it goes like this.

I say "hm, I'm really feeling in the mood for STO, let me restart real quick."

Devil shoulder says "do you reeeeeeally want to play STO? you won't be able to do ANYTHING while you're playing it."

Angel Shoulder says "uh, yeah, STO sounds fun!"

Devil Shoulder says "...what about those admiral pvp load times...hm... watcha gonna do during those?"

Both of them say "ffffffffffffff, no thanks! no STO!"

The abomination on my bootcamp is Windows 7, so I wasn't able to follow the directions to the "Q" since the Cryptic Studios folder is in users>public>games instead of c_drive>program files. (7 hated me moving stuff from there, but I tricked it with a long story about parallels and dmg's and finally got it to move) Would this make a difference though? It's still the same folder and has all of my STO stuff in it (I confirmed it is the ONLY Cryptic Studios folder on my computer)

Any help would be so greatly appreciated, as Windows 7 is there for nothing but STO and I'd love to get rid of it (7 that is love STO!).

Specs are

Macbook Pro 13-inch
2.53 Ghz
8 GB Ram
Nvidia Geforce 9400
Solid State Hardrive

I was using version Beta4
Lt. Commander
# 705
03-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Annnnnnnnd it just worked, without me doing anything different.
All I did was relaunch it after it crashed for the fourth time in a row.

Oh well, no matter how strange it is, suits me!
Lt. Commander
# 706
03-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Eve has an official Cider port ... (and has for as long as I can remember)
I got an email from them months ago that they where suspending it? also always had terrible graphics glitches
Lt. Commander
# 707
03-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizonar
Annnnnnnnd it just worked, without me doing anything different.
All I did was relaunch it after it crashed for the fourth time in a row.

Oh well, no matter how strange it is, suits me!
thats odd... does it continue to work? did you try enabling GLSL? Are you using Test40b or Beta4? For me Test40b has been running very well and may become Beta5... or maybe I'll just call it 1.0 and drop the beta thing.

Quote:

I've never seen or tried doing LOTRO, however its listed as playable in Wine, so it is probably possible to get it working with Wineskin to make a wrapper. I think it needs some 3rd party launcher program that was made though... not sure... which might be linux specific? It would probably take a few days or weeks of modification to get it running right. no idea really, you'd have to research getting it to run in Wine, and just try it. If you make a working wrapper, you could share it with others :-)

You may want to wait until i get Wineskin 1.0 released, which is hopefully soon. i have some people testing it as of today.... its a full app designed to help you make and manage wrappers, instead of the current way that is just a wrapper you modify how you want it.... its much more user friendly.

Eve runs great in Wine and its possible to make a Wineskin wrapper for it very easy... but they have an official Cider port version of it which you should use instead.... the version they dumped was the Linux version, I don't think they have announced any plans to stop the Mac version.
Lt. Commander
# 708
03-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Tried it out. Won't install. Gives a NSIS temp directory error.
Lt. Commander
# 709
03-11-2010, 10:46 PM
thanks doh123 your advice is deeply appreciated, I will do what you say and keep an aye on wineskin development. Does the wineskin development team need anything in particular? Is there anything specific we can do to help?

P.S. Dropbox is awesome! I have used it for a year. Nice choice for hosting the files
Lt. Commander
# 710
03-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_chaney
Tried it out. Won't install. Gives a NSIS temp directory error.
thats not enough info to go on... how did you install, what were you trying to install... there are multiple ways to get and install STO... beta4? test40b? machine specs your using? never heard of that error.

Quote:
thanks doh123 your advice is deeply appriciated, I will do what you say and keep an aye on wineskin development. Does the wineskin development team need anything in particular? Is there anything specific we can do to help?
The Wineskin Development team could really use a big bowl of ice cream, but I'll take care of that.... could really use an X.org expert that could code some RANDR functionality into an X server for OSX... so fullscreen and window and resolution switching would all work really good. Feedback on what you think about it, what suggestions you have, or bugs found is also great. Only other thing, if you feel lead to, to donate a little bit... in the process of getting and setting up a website, where I want the main Wineskin info to be, an online manual, wiki, support forums... and host all the downloads needed for Wineskin.app that has auto updating, and Wineskin Engine downloads and such all built into the app... might need to add some people to help take care of all that stuff.
Closed Thread