Lt. Commander
# 721
03-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi19d View Post
...and it's back to normal today. I logged on this morning intending to record exactly which options 40b misbehaves with, but it won't do it now. Movement is normal and when I select options they stick now. Yesterday the problem persisted through 3 restarts, but today I can't repeat it.

The camera issue I was having does sound like something which might be a normal option (though I can't figure out what does that; "free camera" doesn't). I tried to duplicate the turning behavior, but if I set "Always Face Forward" to "Off" then instead of the character rotating independently of the camera (as it was doing yesterday), the camera rotates independently of the character.

I can't find any option which causes the character to turn on a left-click and drag.

Basically I can't find any options in the STO in-game UI which might cause the odd behavior, and can't repeat the behavior even though the only thing I did differently was wait overnight. I haven't looked to see if there might have been something enabled through text. The only oddity today is that my graphics settings were reverted to the game's default when I first logged in today, but my changes have been sticking since then.

Also, I'm not sure if I was unclear, but I wasn't referring to differences between 40b and running STO on Windows -- I meant that 40b was behaving differently than Beta4. But now it's not >.<

It could be that you had clicked on an NPC. There is an option in-game to focus camera on your target. It comes in handy during space combat, but it will rotate your camera as you walk away from your focus in ground mode.

I hope that made sense. LOL!
Lt. Commander
# 722
03-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeswind View Post
Ok maybe I'm going crazy but the only entries I see are (default), UseGLSL, and Vertexshadermode
That entry about Multisamping was about Beta3... is not there in later versions... its disabled by default so doesn't need an entry unless you want to enable it.

You can manually add it in if you want to... add a new line under the useglsl line

"Multisamping"="enabled"

This will allow Wine to try to do AA which works ok in many games... but isn't working at all in STO. STo sees it available and you can turn it on, but it does nothing but lower your frame rate.... it doesn't actually work, even at 16x still jagged lines on everything.
Lt. Commander
# 723
03-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by telemundo
It could be that you had clicked on an NPC. There is an option in-game to focus camera on your target. It comes in handy during space combat, but it will rotate your camera as you walk away from your focus in ground mode.

I hope that made sense. LOL!
I thought about that, but it was doing the same thing no matter what I was or was not targeting. I normally have the camera follow my target, but moving usually over-rides it, and that wasn't happening.

Been trying to log onto Tribble in both Beta 4 and 40b, and in both I get a "Cryptic Error" immediately when pressing "Engage". That was working fine yesterday, so I can only guess that something changed on Cryptic's end.
Lt. Commander
# 724 No go
03-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Ive installed completely on my mac book pro only to find the launcher is white with no buttons or graphics.
Lt. Commander
# 725
03-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Sorry, that probably wasn't very helpful (was in a hurry to test it more ).

I've got a Macbook Air Rev C running Snow Leopard. I initially tried running STO on VMWare 3 but it seemed really laggy and slow. Eventually it wouldn't boot at all and would BSOD each time I started the game. I next tried to install 40B from the retail disc. After selecting the exe I'd get an NSIS error and that the installer couldn't access the temp directory (a little snooping on the boards revealed this a known issue related to corrupt downloads, but not in related context to Mac implementations or retail discs). I then tried to install Beta 4, also from the retail disc. During the install it would hang on trying to install Direct X. Finally, I then tried to install off the stand alone exe downloaded directly from Cryptic. After patching the 10gb it appears to work awesome (at least to the point where I can login and start the character creation process)

Thanks so much for making this work on the Mac. I was about one step from giving up since it wouldn't play on VMWare. I'll let you know how in game perf is on a Macbook Air shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
thats not enough info to go on... how did you install, what were you trying to install... there are multiple ways to get and install STO... beta4? test40b? machine specs your using? never heard of that error.

The Wineskin Development team could really use a big bowl of ice cream, but I'll take care of that.... could really use an X.org expert that could code some RANDR functionality into an X server for OSX... so fullscreen and window and resolution switching would all work really good. Feedback on what you think about it, what suggestions you have, or bugs found is also great. Only other thing, if you feel lead to, to donate a little bit... in the process of getting and setting up a website, where I want the main Wineskin info to be, an online manual, wiki, support forums... and host all the downloads needed for Wineskin.app that has auto updating, and Wineskin Engine downloads and such all built into the app... might need to add some people to help take care of all that stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 726
03-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi19d View Post
Been trying to log onto Tribble in both Beta 4 and 40b, and in both I get a "Cryptic Error" immediately when pressing "Engage". That was working fine yesterday, so I can only guess that something changed on Cryptic's end.
I'm patching for tribble right now.. to check it out... and see if there is any problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardym21 View Post
Ive installed completely on my mac book pro only to find the launcher is white with no buttons or graphics.
Did oyu use the STO download, or did you just get WIneskin RC7... a standard Wineskin wrapper will just have the white screen because it has nothing installed by default to handle all the html stuff. Make sure you have the actual Star Trek Online.app customized wrapper from the rainbow part of the download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_chaney
I next tried to install 40B from the retail disc. After selecting the exe I'd get an NSIS error and that the installer couldn't access the temp directory (a little snooping on the boards revealed this a known issue related to corrupt downloads, but not in related context to Mac implementations or retail discs). I then tried to install Beta 4, also from the retail disc. During the install it would hang on trying to install Direct X. Finally, I then tried to install off the stand alone exe downloaded directly from Cryptic. After patching the 10gb it appears to work awesome (at least to the point where I can login and start the character creation process)

Thanks so much for making this work on the Mac. I was about one step from giving up since it wouldn't play on VMWare. I'll let you know how in game perf is on a Macbook Air shortly.
it could have been corrupted.. I dunno, i did and install with 40b and it seems to hang with directX but it doesn't really... it just takes like 90 minutes to install.... never have figured out why the install is so slow. But just running the normal exe without the full install will work, the patcher will just download everything needed, as you saw.

It wont run super fantastic on the air, mainly cuz of the 9400M, but I've ran it on my 9400, and as long as the settings are lower, its decently playable. Some ground maps can get really laggy though, and best at that point to turn on half resolution, until your back in space. Uglier, but much faster.
Lt. Commander
# 727
03-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Tribble test server seems to be running just fine in Test 40b for me... no issues...
Lt. Commander
# 728
03-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
Tribble test server seems to be running just fine in Test 40b for me... no issues...
I'm still getting the Cryptic error in both beta 4 and 40b. I use "GLSL=enabled", so I tried switching that back to "disabled" in both versions and still get the Cryptic error. Holodeck is still fine, and Tribble worked for the the first few days.
Lt. Commander
# 729
03-16-2010, 03:12 PM
TY for taking the time to help us Mac users. I downloaded the link in your thread, its the one with no sound, can you link the version with sound?
Lt. Commander
# 730
03-17-2010, 05:55 AM
I've just tried Test 40b on my 27" iMac i7 with the Radeon HD 4850 and it works just as well as the other versions.

I tried all the different screen combinations, with and without a second monitor attached, and encountered no problems that we weren't expecting (mouse look, etc).

I'd vote for release.
Closed Thread