Lt. Commander
# 731
03-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Firstly, thanks for doing this. It makes my life much easier not having to bootcamp. (Too many other things use my mac to be interrupted to play a game)

I like it a lot, the one thing that is a sore thumb is the graphics and the graphics settings controls.

Aside from much lower settings across the "Details" and "Effects" spectrum. The entire game is very dark and the "brightness" setting does nothing to adjust this.

I'm using a MacPro with ATI Radeon HD 4870 and when in Windows 7 the graphics are excellent. In this port however the details and effects are worse than on my 3 year old Toshiba A100 LapTop.

Is there anything more I can do to increase the graphics settings? Or at least change the brightness in game rather than messing with my systems settings?
Lt. Commander
# 732
03-17-2010, 10:57 AM
The latest Tribble patch cleared up the Cryptic error I was getting.

Except for the initial weirdness the first day I used 40b, it's been fine since.
Lt. Commander
# 733
03-17-2010, 11:11 AM
40B is running fine for me, just signed up for Tribble and will let you know how i performs on my MBP Doh123.
Lt. Commander
# 734 NSIS Error
03-17-2010, 05:10 PM
i keep getting an error writing temporary file. Make sure your temp folder is valid. and tried resetting the build (leading to my earlier error) I think rebuilding reset everything. is there a way of fixing this problem without resetting the program.
Lt. Commander
# 735
03-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Guess I don't know about the "signing up for tribble" bit. Anyone wanna explain it to me so I don't have to scour? Or should I go a lookin?
Lt. Commander
# 736
03-17-2010, 09:07 PM
How are you mac guys getting this? Do I need a updated OS X? I click the Star Trek Online icon and it tells me to use Wineskins, so I download it but it gives me the exe error also! WHAT IS GOING ON! I just want to play Star Trek, why make it so hard!
Lt. Commander
# 737
03-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Not that hard if you can read and follow instructions. Actually VERY easy to do. I suggest you go back to post #1.
Lt. Commander
# 738
03-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Trying again. I am dumb I guess:
From the retail disc, or a downloaded version...
Double click to run Star Trek Online.app
click OK on the error message the pops up that the game is missing
(my error says Error set ext not found. Running winsekinsetting.app instead)

in Wineskin Settings menu that appears, select "Install Star Trek Online"
Nothing comes up after I hit OK on the error message.
Does this work on OS X 10.4?
yes i have wineskin also
Lt. Commander
# 739
03-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Quote:

yes i have wineskin also
Ok, try this instead, right click on the main app, show package contents. When you are in there, run the "WineskinSettings" app you see in there. Then choose "Install Windows Sofware" that way and see if it works.

Or, you could do something just a tiny bit smarter........

I take it you don't have a windows machine you can install it on first, THEN copy that folder into the star trek online app? If you don't, get a trial version of one of the virtual PC apps (like Fusion or the Sun VirtualBox one) and install it on there first. It will install there because it isn't needing to actually run the program. Once its installed, then copy the Cryptic Studios folder over to the inside of the app. That way would be MUCH MUCH easier.
Lt. Commander
# 740
03-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyGold View Post

yes i have wineskin also
You do not need Wineskin... this is basically a "WineskinSC" wrapper, which is totally self contained... so it has everything it needs.

when you click OK on the error message, a menu never appears? Its supposed to open WineskinSettings.app automatically, but like GalacticZero said, you can manually open the wrapper and run WineskinSettings.app ... it should work fine on 10.4 as long as you have a x86 (Intel) processor. If you have an older G4 or G5 PPC processor, it will not work at all.

When you try to manually run WineskinSettings.app it should give an error message of why its not running.... if not you can run Console.app in your Applications/Utility folder and look at console messages to see if there were any error messages pertaining to it that didn't pop up.

On that note.. I'm close to getting Wineskin 1.0 out the door, which... 40b is a wrapper from Wineskin 1.0 test version, so I'll wait til i have it 100% done and out before I use it to release a replacement for beta4, but it should be 99.9% just like test 40b ... unless Wine 1.1.41 comes out first and I'll test that out.
Closed Thread