Lt. Commander
# 811
04-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Fantastic news!
Lt. Commander
# 812
04-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Awesome doh123. Keep up the great work And I stand corrected on your macbook, its a nice machine no matter what way you look at it ( If only my wife allowed me to get a new one hehe )

Cheers

Ruval
Lt. Commander
# 813
04-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Simply wanted to add my thanks as I've been using this since beta4 and it has been virtually flawless on my late 2008 MacBook Pro.
Lt. Commander
# 814
04-30-2010, 03:15 PM
doh123,

First, thanks for this. I use it for Champions, not Star Trek, and it works very well. The only issue is that Champions looks really substandard with glsl turned off, so I turned it on. This leads to the second thing.

I've had a lot of crashing, usually at launch, after the launcher goes away but before or right after the main game window opens. I observed that the crash was a lot more likely if I got impatient and started browsing waiting for CO to proceed. The I read an article on the Safari blog which mentioned that Safari caches web pages in video memory. This lead to me trying launching with Safari not running.

So far, no crashes. What browser do you use? I'm curious if an interaction with Safari really is the culprit, or if it's just coincidence (or observer bias) on my part.

Anyway, thanks again for a great tool.
Lt. Commander
# 815
04-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by descriptivist.net
doh123,

First, thanks for this. I use it for Champions, not Star Trek, and it works very well. The only issue is that Champions looks really substandard with glsl turned off, so I turned it on. This leads to the second thing.

I've had a lot of crashing, usually at launch, after the launcher goes away but before or right after the main game window opens. I observed that the crash was a lot more likely if I got impatient and started browsing waiting for CO to proceed. The I read an article on the Safari blog which mentioned that Safari caches web pages in video memory. This lead to me trying launching with Safari not running.

So far, no crashes. What browser do you use? I'm curious if an interaction with Safari really is the culprit, or if it's just coincidence (or observer bias) on my part.

Anyway, thanks again for a great tool.
thats worth looking into.... thanks. i usually always have safari going.

That said, with my latest alpha build (which will be beta tonight or tomorrow for everyone) I'm not crashing at all with GLSL on anymore, even with safari running... but I'll need more people to run the beta to see if thats true for all machines, or just mine.
Lt. Commander
# 816
04-30-2010, 10:03 PM
updated main post with the following info...

New version beta testing!
please help test new versions!
I'm putting up STO UMV 1.2beta1, I need as many people to help test this as possible.
List of improvements
  • newer Wine version with improvements for DirectX
  • newer Xquartz version for slightly improved performance
  • GLSL enabled by default for better graphics. (need reports ASAP if this is causing a crash for any machines)
  • Alt button now works in game!
  • sun/stars shouldn't have the blocky black shapes appearing all over them
  • web links in the login/patcher should now open the link in your default Mac web browser.
download link -> STO UMV 1.2beta1 download
Lt. Commander
# 817
04-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Copying my package contents from the previous version to the beta as I type this. I will let you know how it goes!
Lt. Commander
# 818
05-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Had a chance to play around with this. Everything works, but the alt keys for me. I am playing on 10.6.3 on a MacBook Pro (late 2009) running in rootless window mode.
Lt. Commander
# 819
05-01-2010, 02:24 AM
Everything is working great!
Lt. Commander
# 820
05-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagaciouszzzz View Post
Had a chance to play around with this. Everything works, but the alt keys for me. I am playing on 10.6.3 on a MacBook Pro (late 2009) running in rootless window mode.
on 1.2beta1 the alt keys aren't working?

anyone else?
Closed Thread