Lt. Commander
# 81 Mega Sad Face!!!!
01-24-2010, 09:27 PM
When trying to run the most recent version on my late 2009 Macbook, OS X 10.6.2, 2 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. It CRASHED. My computer just froze then went black. Gladly nothing important was on it. It also messed up my STO Beta File. Later I will redownload the stuff and try again.

Edit: i think i found out my problem. My dad saw that my antivirus was out of date so he thought he would do me a favor and update it. Little did he kmow my anti virus is a little touchy and if you press the wrong button at the wrong time it brings your mac crashing down, and messes with any program currently open. Sorry for the scare.
Lt. Commander
# 82
01-24-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm running it on a MBP, OS X 10.5.8, Core Duo (NOT Core 2 Duo!), 2GB Memory, and a 256MB X1600. I was experiencing the screen smear, but I forgot to type in the command. I was running full screen 1440x900, too. Also, every so often, the screen would pause, but maybe that was because of the smear.

So Cool! Thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 83
01-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert_Boberson
When trying to run the most recent version on my late 2009 Macbook, OS X 10.6.2, 2 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. It CRASHED. My computer just froze then went black. Gladly nothing important was on it. It also messed up my STO Beta File. Later I will redownload the stuff and try again.

Edit: i think i found out my problem. My dad saw that my antivirus was out of date so he thought he would do me a favor and update it. Little did he kmow my anti virus is a little touchy and if you press the wrong button at the wrong time it brings your mac crashing down, and messes with any program currently open. Sorry for the scare.
Dude Macs don't need antivirus...
Lt. Commander
# 84
01-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterAdventure View Post
I'm running it on a MBP, OS X 10.5.8, Core Duo (NOT Core 2 Duo!), 2GB Memory, and a 256MB X1600. I was experiencing the screen smear, but I forgot to type in the command. I was running full screen 1440x900, too. Also, every so often, the screen would pause, but maybe that was because of the smear.

So Cool! Thank you!
the pause could just be low FPS... kinda pushing it hard with that machine. Might try turning a lot of graphics options down, and use the uglier Half Resolution thing, and get it running smoother.
Lt. Commander
# 85 The new version is running fine
01-24-2010, 11:09 PM
I was able to run the new version for about 15 minutes before the servers went down and everything is running really good right now. I'm on a 20" 2.4ghz imac with a radeon 2600 256Mb and 4 gigs of ram. The screen options I'm running are fullscreen, normal windows with 24 bit color depth at 1680x1050 resolution. I tried running it rootless with the virtual desktop option but I could not resize the windows.

The only problems I'm running into is having to enter the renderscale command fairly often and occasionally the video gets blurry for a few seconds. But other than that the game looks better than it does when I run it in windows.

On another note does anyone know what temperature I should be running at. I have SMC fan control but I have no Idea what I should set my fan speeds at.
Lt. Commander
# 86
01-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apinator View Post
I tried running it rootless with the virtual desktop option but I could not resize the windows.
virtual desktop can resize itself. It will auto resize itself to what you set the game to... so you should be able to set the game to something a lot larger since I left the default launch in it like 1024x768.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apinator View Post
On another note does anyone know what temperature I should be running at. I have SMC fan control but I have no Idea what I should set my fan speeds at.
depends on the exact machine to what temp is good... but the iMacs and macbooks that have mobile processors and GPUs run much hotter than desktop parts.

Running this on my Macbook Pro with my geforce 9600GT enabled, with my fans spinning at 6000rpm, it stays around 80 C. basically you don't want the mobile Core 2 Duos to get over 90, and cooler is better... their max operating temperature is set by Intel as 105, but that can seriously shorten their lives running them that hot for long periods.
Lt. Commander
# 87
01-24-2010, 11:21 PM
My fans are sitting at around 6000 PRM and its running fine.
Lt. Commander
# 88
01-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
on the exact machine to what temp is good... but the iMacs and macbooks that have mobile processors and GPUs run much hotter than desktop parts.

Running this on my Macbook Pro with my geforce 9600GT enabled, with my fans spinning at 6000rpm, it stays around 80 C. basically you don't want the mobile Core 2 Duos to get over 90, and cooler is better... their max operating temperature is set by Intel as 105, but that can seriously shorten their lives running them that hot for long periods.
That's good to hear, my CPU stays well below 80 C. But I'll keep my eyes on it.
Thanks for the help.
Lt. Commander
# 89
01-25-2010, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
Multimonitors will be a problem. This is due to problems in Xquartz fullscreen mode, not Wine directly. Some day if we can get the wine quartz driver good we won't need X11 on OSX for Wine. That, or if Xquartz ever becomes fully featured... or Codeweavers releases their custom X server they use in Crossover
Have you tried using Cryptic's CoH Mac app, and either plugging STO into that, or pulling bits from it?
I had a quick look inside it, and I think there may be too many hard-coded names in there to just drop STO into it easily, but since that has solved the resolution and the multimonitor problems, it might be worth picking apart...
Lt. Commander
# 90
01-25-2010, 06:22 AM
Hi,

I re read the first page again, and the renderscale command stopped the smearing(should have read it properly first time).

Also realised that it was just the last weekend, not the last day.

One thing though, I have 2 monitors and it always plays on the left one, Is it possible to make it play on the other monitor ?

Thanks.

Toadguy
Closed Thread