Starfleet Veteran
Does anyone remember Starfleet Academy? When I get it to work ... properly ... it is one of the best games I have ever played.

Here are a few things I liked about it, and COULD be included in STO with a damage system Re-do:

(Like on TV/film) It had not just fore, aft, starboard and port, but ventral and dorsal shields, something missing from STO. (Actually, something not form ST:SFA, but in-fact from Nemesis, when the shield "boundary" is really close to the ship, I personally found that to look really cool)

There were different systems which were either : Green for not to damage or fixed, yellow, damaged, and red, severely damaged; all displayed on a LCARS style (small) display. When a system was damaged, it's efficiency went down, so lets say ... weapons were not as powerful until it got fixed. You would have to set a repair priority , so something on 100% meant that it would get repaired (and the tractor beam , for me was always on 10% ) sooner.

The other thing, is that Life-support and Comms were included in the possible damaged area list, and one had to juggle and allocate power to those systems.

Here are some extras that could be included. Have injuries, but the very, very, severe injury is that the system would be totally non-functional. (Fixed with a repair thing-io)

Along with lasting, and dare-I-say improved battle damage, that would make the STO have an amazing damage system to it. To increase Star Trek emersion even more, why not have a disable setting for space?
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...

Last edited by jumpingjs; 06-27-2013 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Extra info ...
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
07-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Continued:

We should also have the ability to manually select red alert and , if we choose to, stay at green.
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

Survivor of Romulus
# 3
07-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Well, i have played starfleet academy multiple times (oh the memories, and the massive amount of cd's!) and the klingon academy demo as well.

The damage and repair system (also the visuals) where nothing more than awesome!!

But to be honest, i don't know if they can recreate this kind of visuals or redo the whole UI system to accomodate this... Let every game have it's gem and get remembered by it.

Nonetheless, i second your posts.
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Captain
# 4
07-06-2013, 04:26 PM
I miss live action sequences too. That was my first experience commanding a Trek ship. I still think Bridge Commander did it best. Loved the modding too. No need to spend $20 per ship ... Just download a mod, no need to restart.

I was flying a Scimitar half a decade before STO was even planned.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
07-17-2013, 03:42 PM
I still think this idea would make the game good fun. Other players are seeing the damage system being un-trek like already ...

Lt. Commander
# 6
07-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Never played Academy, but I liked Bridge Commander. I still have it. Havent played it in a while, but its installed on my PC.

Few of the things BC had that I wish was in STO:

1) 360 degree axis for flight.

2) Six shield facings instead of 4. Added with #1 you could rotate your ship to benefit from Ventral and Dorsal shields as well. This made the game feel much more Trek canon for space combat.

3) Broader array of mission objectives.

4) Required more micromanaging of power allocation. Power wasnt endless. If you wasnt too careful, you would sap all main battery and auxiliary power. Even more so when your warp core was taking damage.

5) Very broad spectrum of subsystem targeting.

6) Modding. Greater customization of ones ships.
Commander
# 7
07-17-2013, 05:17 PM
wish ground maps were as big as oblivion, with combat battlefield 1942 style. wish space was an updated version of Academy, screw Bridge Commander... well... some aspects of it anyway.. like the extremely long phaser burst. hours of that sound i'm still trying to get out of the back of my mind.
Lyndon Brewer: 20% chance to capture enemy ship for 60 seconds on successful use of boarding party.

cause sometimes its party time!
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
07-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lykum View Post
wish space was an updated version of Academy, screw Bridge Commander... well... some aspects of it anyway.. like the extremely long phaser burst. hours of that sound i'm still trying to get out of the back of my mind.

This. People are hitting the nail on proverbial spot!

Captain
# 9
07-17-2013, 09:21 PM
What I've suggested (repeatedly) is that the existing damage system be used DURING combat. That is, your ship will suffer actual damage effects on a critical hit, or on an unshielded hit.

These effects wouldn't be repairable in combat (ie by magic/engineering team), you would need to use the appropriate parts AFTER the battle.

I'd do the same in ground combat. Of course, this would mean melee weapons would be especially dangerous because they ignore shields.

Of course, every suggestion I've ever made has been ignored.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Crafting, Exploration and Interaction as it should be:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1108521
Lieutenant
# 10
07-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Colonel Marik, I am happy to find someone that share my opinion on damage (you can see the complete proposal here : http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=794891

The Starfleet acadamy model would be an improvement. We need the damage to be done during the battle. I think to Starfleet command/battle/commander too.

Most things say that are good for SFA, I agree with; they can be good for startrek. Actually I think SFA should be the first episode...