Captain
# 141
07-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshuffle View Post
Hey Brandon, do us a favor and read Dev Blog #25 and I quote :

"During the special Lohlunat festival event, captains of all kinds can visit Risa ? to celebrate their culture?s welcoming diversity, the Risians have even negotiated special access for members of the Klingon Defense Force. The Risians will open their event on a new resort island starting at around 10AM PDT on Thursday, June 27, and the festivities will last until server maintenance on Thursday, August 15. To enjoy this event, head to Risa in the Sirius Sector Block, or transwarp there by selecting the event in your Mission Journal?s calendar. KDF captains can head to the borders of the Sirius Sector Block from any adjoining sector and receive special permission to warp directly to the Risa system. Once you arrive, beam down to the planet and join the party!"

What do we read in bold : 15th Of August. With other words, don't dare to stop the event sooner as mentioned date.
The Summer event as a whole ends August the 15th, that's been said since the beginning and hasn't changed, afaik.

However, the Risian Corvette pearl dailies were stated to be available from the beginning of the event to August the 2nd, now extended to August the 4th.

The availability of the Risian Corvette has always been (and stays) more limited than the event itself.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Lieutenant
# 142
07-22-2013, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiva View Post
The Summer event as a whole ends August the 15th, that's been said since the beginning and hasn't changed, afaik.

However, the Risian Corvette pearl dailies were stated to be available from the beginning of the event to August the 2nd, now extended to August the 4th.

The availability of the Risian Corvette has always been (and stays) more limited than the event itself.
This is a distinction that, I for one did not realise or appreciate, and I very much doubt that I am alone.

When you see that an event is arranged for between two dates, you are quite likely to assume that things going on at the event are going to be there for the full duration of it.

I predict a backlash come August 5th with people going to Risa to try and finish getting their Corvette and finding out that the event is on but the Corvette is no longer part of it.

After all, does everyone using STO read the forums? Don't you think they'll be confused?
Captain
# 143
07-22-2013, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm1067 View Post
This is a distinction that, I for one did not realise or appreciate, and I very much doubt that I am alone.

When you see that an event is arranged for between two dates, you are quite likely to assume that things going on at the event are going to be there for the full duration of it.

I predict a backlash come August 5th with people going to Risa to try and finish getting their Corvette and finding out that the event is on but the Corvette is no longer part of it.

After all, does everyone using STO read the forums? Don't you think they'll be confused?
Yes. It was an unfortunate choice and probably a very bad decision.

On the other hand, I think they just made some 'wiggling room' for other possible extensions of the Pearl daily availability.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Rihannsu
# 144
07-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshuffle View Post
Hey Brandon, do us a favor and read Dev Blog #25... What do we read in bold : 15th Of August. With other words, don't dare to stop the event sooner as mentioned date.
The trick with reading things, is that you need to read (and comprehend) the whole thing. Further down in the very same DB#25 it reads:

Collect a thousand pearls and you can exchange them for the Risian corvette! More details... will be posted in a Dev Blog tomorrow.

The "tomorrow" blog referred to is DB#26, which very specifically spells out:

Although the Risian Lohlunat Summer Festival will continue to be available well into August, Lohlunat Pearls will only be offered as a reward from "Flying High!" for a total of 35 days, starting June 27th and running until August 2nd. During this time, players will need to participate 25 times in order to earn their FREE Starship.

Additional Risian Lohlunat Pearls can also be acquired from the Lobi Store... Although this is a large investment in Lobi Crystals...

The "more details blog" clearly states that you have 35 days to run the daily mission 25 times to get the free ship. It also advises of a convenient (albeit expensive) method to get additional Pearls if a player decides they don't want to grind/wait or otherwise don't get enough from the daily.

And before you complain about unfair practices, consider this is a Free-to-Play game. It doesn't cost you anything to enjoy the product. You do not have to spend a dime. There are many ships in-game a player can get for free with no effort other than leveling-up. That being said, it does cost money to keep the severs running and pay for developers, so they do provide many ways for their players to spend money. They even encourage you to do so, of course.

It is very common practice in sales to release info a little at a time to generate anticipation and to keep your attention - the marketing idea being that this "buzz" increases the likelihood that a customer will spend their cash.

Is there room for confusion? Yes. If you failed to read/comprehend all available information.

Welcome to capitalism.

Besides, some people like the Lobi shortcut (I saw people showing off their Corvette on the first day of the Event ). And Cryptic is happy to cater to these folk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdias5500 View Post
...Are we safe to expect this kind if nonsense in December...
It's not actually nonsense at all, see above, but yes, you can expect exactly this in December, too. Assuming past-events dictate the future.

During the 2012 Winter Wonderland, the "free" Breen Ship cost 1,000 Autographed 8x10 Glossy Picture of Q. You could get 40/day via the Fastest Game on Ice mission. There was a similar deal where you had ~35 days to run the daily 25 times, or purchase additional Pictures via the Lobi Store.

You'll find in life that "Free" rarely actually is without cost.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Rihannsu
# 145
07-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Accidental double-post, please delete.
Ensign
# 146 One *radical* solution!
07-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Greetings (again...), dear 'STO-ers'!

Allow me to start it kind of abruptly, please. I, for one, am a dedicated player here.
I mean, I already have 2 accounts, where my 1st has all of the 3 characters well customized, and the 2nd account... it's only for Feds; 1 character there.
Now, as my 1st account KDF character is concerned, I am at 40% with my Risian Corvette; the STF, and the RRF are, each, at...28%, I think. As for my 2nd account, my Sci Fed there is 'pretty new' (4 days old!) and I'm at 0% (zero!) with him on the Risian 'matter'.
My issue here? Please, STO 'devs', *please* allow us to run the "Flying High" competition every 5 (five) hours! It would give us, 'the Delayed Ones', the necessary time to actually *complete* our own... petty competitions and *enjoy* our 'summery' prizes, and feel that... our weeks and/or months of (sometimes, severe) sleep deprivation - because of this Event - have NOT been in vain!...

P.S. I would very much like for my fellow 'STO-ers' here to support me. It would be in *your* direct advantage, people! Please, support this! Make more noise! Do... something!

Thank you, in advance!
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 147
07-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiva View Post

Just to confirm, this ----^

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Career Officer
# 148
07-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Just to confirm, this ----^

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Uhm... Brandon... that's really dumb. Why make the limit shorter on the one thing people WANT, instead of having it go all the way? Who on the dev team thought that was a good idea, and why did everyone let them decide this on the day they'd CLEARLY come in missing most of their brain?
CHARACTER GRID (@Lord-Ice):
___ |___ _ Fed ____| ____ _KDF __ ____| Rom
Tac_|_Thomas Hale_| __ __Illusion _____| Silence (K)
Eng | ___Antilles _ _| _ Mirror Rygobeth__| N'Vek (F)
Sci _| __ Rygobeth _| _Lukor Son of Q'Tar | Devala (F)
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 149
07-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegavel View Post
Uhm... Brandon... that's really dumb. Why make the limit shorter on the one thing people WANT, instead of having it go all the way? Who on the dev team thought that was a good idea, and why did everyone let them decide this on the day they'd CLEARLY come in missing most of their brain?
Like the Winter Event to get the Breen ship, players have 35 days to earn the ship for free as long as they earn their 40 pearls for at least 25 of those days. Rather than have the summer event end at the end of those 35 days, we decided to have the actual event last longer so players could enjoy it and continue to earn the other rewards.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Career Officer
# 150
07-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Like the Winter Event to get the Breen ship, players have 35 days to earn the ship for free as long as they earn their 40 pearls for at least 25 of those days. Rather than have the summer event end at the end of those 35 days, we decided to have the actual event last longer so players could enjoy it and continue to earn the other rewards.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
I've earned all of those rewards a hundred times over already. The event doesn't need to go longer without the grand prize. That's like staying at a football stadium for 12 hours after the game ends. How about you extend the grand prize until the 15th, and be kind to the people with LIVES that couldn't get the ship before the 4th. I've got it, but there are a lot of people that might not. No matter the reasoning, the decision smacks of being arbitrary.
CHARACTER GRID (@Lord-Ice):
___ |___ _ Fed ____| ____ _KDF __ ____| Rom
Tac_|_Thomas Hale_| __ __Illusion _____| Silence (K)
Eng | ___Antilles _ _| _ Mirror Rygobeth__| N'Vek (F)
Sci _| __ Rygobeth _| _Lukor Son of Q'Tar | Devala (F)
Closed Thread