Rihannsu
# 11
06-27-2013, 01:50 PM
OP -

Instead of trying to pick your brain for ideas on what to suggest to you, how about you visit "The Academy" forum here on the STO forums(if you go up a level in the forums there are more "areas" available to look into) and then up at the top is a link to "Player Guides."

You won't leave the STO site and the stickied guides are available to refer to as you want/need. They are created by players for players with some of them being extremely well written in explaining everything about STO that any starting player might want to look over.

p.s. here's a link the Player Guides subforum
Commander
# 12
06-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Special Consoles - These tend to be filled with things like the Borg Assimilated Module, Tachyokinetic Converter, or Zero-Point Energy Conduit which all boost your critical hits.
This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Is there no list of these kinds of things? How do I compare them to sets to see if it's worth it to get a set with a console, buy a ship with a special console, or get one of those from wherever you get those.

For example, the wiki DOES have a nice list of 'sets' showing all available sets (I think rep and quest). It's a little cumbersome to navigate and compare, but it's doable. How is there no similar like for "mark XII weapons" or "consoles" or "devices"? How do I know a red matter converter exists to look it up to read about to find out how to go get one?

I'm trying to do a broad search for specific things that are relevant, and then slowly narrow it down.

ie -
1) Computer, show me all mark XII ship weapons.
2) OK well based on procs, it looks like I want plasma or anti-proton
3) Computer show me all plasma and anti-proton mark XII ship weapons.
4) Hmm, ok I don't need to see mines, torps or beams, I like cannons.
5) Computer show me all plasma and anti-proton mark XII cannons.
6) Well I'm focusing on fore weapons, and I don't like the damage of single cannons.
7) Computer show me all plasma and anti-proton mark XII dual cannons and dual heavy cannons.
8) OK, well +dmg seems good, but I like acc/crit better
9) Computer show me all plasma and anti-proton mark XII dual cannons and dual heavy cannons with Acc and/or CritH.
10 Hmm those mark XII acc/critH/critD anti-proton dual heavy cannons look like they're the best for me.
11) Computer show me how much those cannons cost and where to get them.
.... repeat for aft weapons, sheilds, consoles, deflectors, etc.....

::WARNING:: This game is not intended for use as a source of self-esteem.
Commander
# 13
06-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Instead of trying to pick your brain for ideas on what to suggest to you, how about you visit "The Academy" forum here on the STO forums(if you go up a level in the forums there are more "areas" available to look into) and then up at the top is a link to "Player Guides."
OK I really appreciate everyone's well-intentioned efforts to help by pointing me to the wiki and the Academy. But I think something is being misinterpreted, lost in translation, or I'm just failing to make myself clear.

I've been to the academy and the wiki. I am a voracious reader, and I'm the guy who will read the whole manual that comes with a new game, before even installing it.

I cannot find, and maybe I am missing something buried somewhere, what I am looking for. To be clear, I am not looking for general advice, or asking generic 'what do I do' or 'tell me the best gear'.

I am looking for a way to see what gear is available, where and compare it to other gear, on my own to make my own decisions.

I am sorry if I am not communicating this effectively, and I do greatly appreciate everyone's attempts to help me.

::WARNING:: This game is not intended for use as a source of self-esteem.

Last edited by o1derfull1; 06-27-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Lieutenant
# 14
06-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Run DHCs all of same type (Phaser etc) and a torp if you wish, use specific tactical consoles (Phaser relay) in your tactical slots, Neutronium alloy in your eng slots, and some shield emitters in your sci slots.

Stick to this whilst levelling and you wont go far wrong

Once your at end game join a fleet and start the reputation system,

You should now have a clearer picture of what gear you want, its a learning process made more difficult because of the tooltips being USLESS sorry to say.

Have fun
Lieutenant
# 15
06-27-2013, 02:12 PM
If something along the lines of what you're asking for exists, I'm not aware of it. Again, most of what I know is from two years accumulated reading and experimenting.

The closest I've seen is a tool that lets your compare ships, but it will not tell you how the gear stacks or compares or that a Biofunction Monitor is currently a pretty worthless console despite how great it's description sounds.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Your best choice is to use the Dilithium store to pick up some MKXI gear, for your consoles the exchange, ships sets doing the featured series. R&D currently is a Dilithium sink with zero use, except for the Agies which is only good for cruisers. As for ground weapons and armor any new player is going to be at a disadvantage. Previously you could do dailies for marks, as well as exploration missions for marks, and use those to get starter gear for the ground. You no longer can. Your best bet would be the Rep system for ground gear, or the Dilithium store. Given the quality of R&D compared to the Dilithium store. Its best you sink your Dilithium into the store and not R&D. Once your doing stfs or Romulan dailies you need to unlock which ever one your going for. Whatever you do, do not grab any of the gear, the Dilithium costs for stuff is through the roof. Wait until you unlock the last tier, and use all the Dilithium you saved up to start picking up MKXII gear.

As for weapons what stats you should go for is entirely your choice. I wish I had a better answer for you but they took away our last free in game option for gear a long time ago, and that was R&D. It was not great and it was a grind fest, but it was at least usable and Dilithium free. One final note do not be conned by people saying getting Dilithium is easy. Its not, it has a refined limit, and to get it in large quantities is most difficult. By difficult I mean you grind, instead of enjoying the game. A strange concept these days to enjoy the game. Anyways I hope this info helps.
Captain
# 17
06-27-2013, 02:23 PM
I see. Nothing like that really exists, stowiki is close tho. Energy weapons are almost identical damagewise at each level, it's only the energy type special powers that differentiate them. Torpedos are the same as above. You may need to also look at the patch notes for the past 6 months, MANY changes to plasma weapons have been done to make them more effective as they've been weak compared to other weapons because STF set gear (now called omega rep gear) was designed to counter plasma type weapons.

I chose antiplasma only to find Phasers and Disruptors better against certain enemies. I used an AEGIS set until I earned mk12 KHG and Omega sets. Save you're money, learn from playing the game what works for your playstyle. White or green mk 10 or 11 gear off the exchange works fine in STF's, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I ran mk11 white gear on a T4 raptor in elites for months with no problem.

The wiki site is layed out kinda funny, but console info can be found in the main page menu 'ship items', as well as the boosting consoles on each energy weapons page.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf
Captain
# 18
06-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1derfull1 View Post
This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Is there no list of these kinds of things? How do I compare them to sets to see if it's worth it to get a set with a console, buy a ship with a special console, or get one of those from wherever you get those.
I would recommend copying your account over to tribble. There you can instantly gain a number of the best equipment pieces. Such as MACO shield etc and play with it without worrying about steep costs. Though you might find it difficult to run something such as an STF.

Ships that come with special consoles, by and large come from the C Store and this is the only way to get those consoles. Depending on your faction certain consoles are available from lockboxes but these are detailed on the wiki.

Quote:
How is there no similar like for "mark XII weapons" or "consoles" or "devices"? How do I know a red matter converter exists to look it up to read about to find out how to go get one?
Because quite frankly, asking for Mk XII weapons is asking a very broad question. By and large the only way to gain them is either through random drops, a price gouged exchange or the fleet market.

A mark XII weapon is almost entirely identical to a Mk XI weapon of the same rarity and modifiers with only a minor increase in DPS. This is detailed on the wiki by using the very broad search terms. (i.e. Photon Torpedo Laucher ) You will then see a page where you can compare and contrast the consoles that boost the damage as well as damage values.

Quote:
I'm trying to do a broad search for specific things that are relevant, and then slowly narrow it down.
See above. Red Matter converters and such items are only available to preorders. You can type these into google or the wiki and it will tell you what they are, what they do and how to get them.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by tc10b; 06-27-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Captain
# 19
06-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Quote:
I am looking for a way to see what gear is available, where and compare it to other gear, on my own to make my own decisions.
There is no cross reference table (if that is your ultimate desire) , but if I were you I'd listen to what some players are trying to tell you and not dismiss them just because it's not what you want to hear .

Anyway , to start things off slowly , here are a two lists .

Weapons , and their difference by damage type :

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Damage_type

Tactical Consoles and what they boost :

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Tactical_Consoles

A few tips :

- for your ship , decide on one type of energy weapon and boost that single type with multiple weapon consoles that match that energy weapon .

- on ground you'll do well if you equip 1 pulswave (midrange) and one High Density Beam Rifle (long range) -- use the Z key to switch between them .

- finish the Omega Reputation ASAP . you will need the gear that it offers .

- do not use plasma weapons in PVP as most players use gear (shields) that have a 20% innate defense against plasma weapons (which the Borg use) .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .

Last edited by aelfwin1; 06-27-2013 at 04:07 PM.