Lt. Commander
I'm seriously considering up grading to a new desktop just so I can play STO. The new specs are

CPU: Intel Dual Core E5300 2.60ghz
Memory: 2GB RAM
Video: Nvidia 9500GT 1024mb

I know these meet the recommended system specifications, but the thing that I'm concerned about is the graphics card as I know the 9500 isn't the 9 series equivalent of the 8800.

So anyone got any's idea's how well STO will play on this setup?

Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-22-2010, 11:40 AM
It should run fine, your specs are very close to mines (I have 9800gt..) and I get good performance on high settings, that is when I can log in :/ Prolly no need to upgrade les your rich and bored If ya do, I'd check out PCs such as Alienware (made specificly for gaming..)
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-22-2010, 11:58 AM
The graphics card isn't great but it really depends on what resolution you play at, the higher the native resolution of your monitor (which you should keep to for the best picture assuming it is a LCD) the more grunt the graphics card will need.

Is this something you are upgrading and building yourself or a pre-build system? If it is the former then consider getting a decent 2nd hand card. Depending on where you live there are some bargains around, in the UK a 8800GTX can be had for 50ish 2nd hand and it is hard to beat it for value for money. There are plenty of good cards around, but make sure to pay more attention to the cards core and chipset than the amount of memory it has. It is a common selling device to stick huge amounts of memory on a low end card to make it seem better than it is.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Thank you very much guys!!!

@ MarkLJLewis.

It's a prebuild I'm looking at. I currently have a laptop and although it has an MXM 2 slot the cards are impossible to find, expensive and not as good as the one's for desktops. I do have a very old destop but it would be more economical to buy a new one than try and upgrade the old machine. But thanks to your advice I think I'm going to have another look around

Again thanks for your great advice
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nh5316 View Post
Thank you very much guys!!!

@ MarkLJLewis.

It's a prebuild I'm looking at. I currently have a laptop and although it has an MXM 2 slot the cards are impossible to find, expensive and not as good as the one's for desktops. I do have a very old destop but it would be more economical to buy a new one than try and upgrade the old machine. But thanks to your advice I think I'm going to have another look around

Again thanks for your great advice
Yeah that is true. You get better value by building your own but it is not for everyone. Often what you find with pre-built stuff is as the main market is just internet access, word processing, light gaming that they skimp on the graphics card.

Anyways, good luck and let us know how you get on.