Captain
# 1 Rep gear X - XII values
11-05-2013, 07:50 AM
I'm thinking this is the right forum ...

So, I consider myself a patient person. I'm also just playing a game. Regardless of my feeling on the reputation grind, I actually do look forward to owning some of the Rep Gear as a mark of prestige or even status. Let's face it, when you see someone with a full set of MACO gear (space or ground), that player has put in time and effort to have it.

But then it occurred to me ... is that gear Mk X or XII?

Then I looked at my own status and wondered: what is the difference between Mk X, XI and XII gear? The Wiki only shows the MK XII values.

Obviously, cost and the actual power and ability values differ, but is there a huge difference?

Frankly, I'm more than willing to get Mk X gear from the Rep system. But is the Mk XII gear really worth the effort?
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 2
11-05-2013, 08:14 AM
For PVE, statwise you can absolutely stop at mk X (unless you're going for an adapted set, then you'll need to get the mk xii version). The uptick between x and xii is appreciable, but not significant enough to make any kind of difference to a competent player (PvE content is just that trivial). Additionally, set bonuses are the same across all three tiers.

For outfits, you'll need to do the full mk xi and xii ground sets. That will then unlock a project to unlock the accompanying parts in the tailor.
Rihannsu
# 3
11-05-2013, 08:31 AM
Unless you are hardcore into PvP or doing the very few hard PvE missions (like the No Win), you don't need anything from the rep stores. I consider myself middle of the road in terms of ability, and I've managed to carry my weight using nothing but vendor trash and stuff from the exchange. Boffs and doffs that are free have more impact that MK XII weapons on how well you do, I think.

That said, I get the rep stuff because it looks cool and by this point in the game, looking cool is about all I have left to do, since most of my time I spend farming EC and dil from my fleet mine and throwing what I can back into it.
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member
Captain
# 4
11-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Thank you for the replies! I have to remind myself that I'm stressing about pretty graphics on a screen So, the idea that, in PvE, Rep stuff is not really needed, then I can certainly relax and just go for the "rule of Cool".

I'm not into PvP so no problem there. Last night it occurred to me to actually compare the stats from Mk X to Mk XII MACO armor (as a single example). The difference was about 17 points per major stat. Without going into details for other stat lines, this does seem ... negligible to me. So really the questions will be:

1) Do I want to work for 375 OM or just 250 OM,
2) Do I really want the MACO armor graphic?
3) If 2 = yes, then do I want Adapted MACO (ground or space)?

Clearly, these are a matter of personal taste.

It turns out I was on Nukara last night, blasting Tholians to bits. In one particular scene, me and another player shot at the same target. I was using a Mk X Sonic AP Split Beam Rifle, he had the Rep Elite Cryo FA Rifle ... and it appeared I out-shot him! I /telled him for some conversation about weapons and he was using the Mk XII rifle. So, we go about blasting more Tholians and I could not shake that I was out-gunning this guy. My desire for his Rep weapon dropped. All I am left with is the idea that "it looks cool" ... but is not really any better (maybe worse!) than an Exchange-bought weapon.

I dunno. It was just weird to me. By this morning I am starting to feel that Mk X Rep gear is really "good enough for government work" and therefore *not* worth the effort to go full Mk XII ... unless I really want Adapted MACO

Rihannsu
# 5
11-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Just as a reminder, the MACO and KDF ground set visuals do change between the marks. If you want the full MACO armor with helmet, you have to get the Mark XII. Same with the KDF side, the cape only comes with Mark XII. Pretty sure that The Omega armor (neutral set) also only comes with the helmet at Mark XII. Plus if you want to customize them, the costume unlocks are all at tier 5 anyway.
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member
Captain
# 6
11-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Yes, that is something else to consider (the visuals). I have yet to determine if I really Really REALLY want to the armor graphic on the Ground Sets. My current internal debate is for Space Gear but it certainly can apply to ground items as well.

Honestly, I always assumed the armor was available from X+ and that some people were choosing not to show the helmet. Well, that's not the case.

Frankly, for peeps with Adapted gear ... they really put in the time and effort for them.

Since STO doesn't seem to be going the way of the Dodo, then I just need to test the limits of my patience My Fleet just got the ability to sell ground armor/shield/weapons and those are pretty stout. I've been using the Fleet Adv Pulsewave Tetryon Rifle of Defera and having a blast (literally). Are the Anti-Borg Rep weapons or even the Carbine worth it? Based on my Nukara experience, I'm betting not.

Captain
# 7
11-08-2013, 10:38 AM
The autocarbine is a solid full auto rifle choice. It may not have the same level of flash or quite the high end DPS capability of pulsewaves, but it's one of the few ground weapons in STO not ridiculously overscaled.

Plus it's necessary for the Omega ground set bonuses and the costume unlock. It's a reliable weapon to give to a boff after you've used it to unlock things, or even to keep in your second weapon slot to use at longer ranges. Not over the top amazing, but reliable, and fun to swap out to your Captain on occasion when you want to switch things up a bit.
Commander
# 8
11-10-2013, 01:05 PM
It seems to me that the Cryo weapons aren't really dealing extra damage to tholians, and the Sonic damage against them is much more effective than pure cold damage, which is why you were probably seeing higher numbers. That, and Beam rifles are pretty freakin' awesome in STO, to the point where Split Beam Rifles outdo full-auto rifles, and High Density Beam Rifles outperform Sniper Rifles. In fact, the only decent Full-auto rifle is the Omega Autocarbine, which is pretty freakin' amazing and shreds Borg to bits in seconds.