Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Reputation System
Login

Rihannsu
# 41
07-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post

[SNIP]

The system was never designed to allow everyone to max out everything, so I don't sweat it. I'd rather play my alts the way I want to because I like playing different characters.

That said, I think the Rep system is too much of a grind and it's too expensive to collect the project requirements. I wish it was more time/achievement based and less about time/currency. If it were about completing mission arcs, or DOFF chains, it would be less tedious and I'd be a lot more interested in trying to complete it.
I rather question the idea that the rep system not being designed to allow everyone to max out everything, or if it was, I think it was done poorly. A well designed system that was designed to not allow everyone to max out in everything would make it so that each rep chain would have competing advantages, and not complimentary ones. Parts of the rep systems have this, like the Nakura aux passive, since not everyone uses high aux, but most of it doesn't, like the Omega damage boosts, or the Romulan sensor disablement.

The problem with that, from Cryptic's point of view, is that if you don't make each rep system usable, then no one will buy it. Its the same reason why they set it up as a grind for items and not a grind for time, its easier to charge for items in a F2P game. Cryptic have made the game so that there is the maximum amount of oppertunity for money to make your grind easier. Unfortunately that also means that the game isn't much fun if you don't pay.

All the aboove IMHO of course.
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member
Captain
# 42
07-01-2013, 11:19 AM
I have one Fed with Tier 5 Omega and Romulus and Tier III Nukara
I have one KDF with Tier 5 Omega and Romulus and Tier III Nukara
And one Romulan Lvl 7 I think and really can't seem levelling him anymore for main reasons

Can't be allied to Tal Shiar (This is the whole reason i wanted a romulan in the first place)

However back on topic
I doubt very much that I will continue grinding if my romulan will ever get to the level that would require me to grind the romulus and omega and *sigh* nukara marks as it has got awfully tedious and keeps me away from doing other things in game like the new story missions or doing my dilithium mining

Also especially for Nukara marks there isn't much to do and there is only so much you can Azure nebula etc before you are just bored.

My Pc has broken and is in for repair so like another poster i'm taking a small sabbatical for the game and only time will tell if I return or make the sabbatical longer when my laptop is fixed.
NO TO ARC
Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
Commander
# 43
07-01-2013, 11:31 AM
on the original question posed:

It already has.

I made a reman when all this came out.. once he hit 50.. BOOM.. Mothballed..

I will not rep grind a new toon on all these damn reps. Its a pain enough just to grind away at the new ones they add, with all my current characters.
Career Officer
# 44
07-01-2013, 11:42 AM
The rep grind actually reduced my time on STO when it came out. Once I got to the point I had far too much to do to be competitive (read vaguely useful in an STF with fleeties) I just gave up and went back to LOTRO. I will still make alts but pretty much none of them will rep grind at all now, but on the plus side since they will not have much effort put into them I can recycle toon slots now and not have to buy any more in future
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neriz --- Eleven --- S'alesh --- Nizalay and maybe the odd Fed char too.
Defecting from the Federation to the Romulans from May 21st
Career Officer
# 45
07-01-2013, 12:08 PM
I just finished getting my 3 Federation and 3 KDF characters to Tier 5 Nukara Reputation just a week ago. Beginning the new grind to unlock all the Nukara store.

My Romulans, my Rom Sci is now halfway through Tier 5 on all rep, my other two are around Tier 3 all reps.

I will tell you, this grind on top of the Summer Event is just massively taxing. I have to stay up late at night and gotten 4-hours sleep since LoR. (I know, its massively pathetic and stupid).

So I won't be making no more characters. In fact, I regret even starting a Romulan due to this insatiable grind. Because it's literally killing me.
Captain
# 46
07-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Personally, I tend to ignore all the new reps they bring.

As I like to play STFs here and there, I intend to max Omega reputation on all new toons I'll make. (Also, Omega seems to me like the only one being done easily enough.)

New Rom reputation is maxed on my FED and KDF toons, but I'm still undecided on when or whether even do it on my ROM toons (or any other new toons in the future for that matter).

Tholian reputation: Haven't started it on any of old or new toons...

So to answer the question in the title: Never, since I don't give a damn about other than Omega reputation.

(Btw., it's similar with other character unlocks: While I have access to some nice Fleet ships, I haven't yet gotten any. While I've been offered Fleet items, I didn't want them. Overall, I very much dislike to pay dilithium for stuff, which is often the case for character unlocks.)
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Commander
# 47
07-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Mostly I don't bother trying to level rep on all of my characters, not even my main. Highest I have in anything is T4 Romulan rep.

As it is, I don't have enough Zen/Dil/EC to get all of the things I'd like to have and I don't have the luxury of time or money to do it for one character let alone all of them.

My main will probably eventually be at least Tier 1-2 in all of them. I'm not in a big hurry. On my alts, I will pick and choose but probably not get much past T2-T3 in one or two reps.

The system was never designed to allow everyone to max out everything, so I don't sweat it. I'd rather play my alts the way I want to because I like playing different characters.

That said, I think the Rep system is too much of a grind and it's too expensive to collect the project requirements. I wish it was more time/achievement based and less about time/currency. If it were about completing mission arcs, or DOFF chains, it would be less tedious and I'd be a lot more interested in trying to complete it.
So what you're basically saying is that not everyone should be equal? This hurts PvP more then anything. Even if only 1% of the community does that aparently.

On the other hand, if it was not designed for 'everyone' to get to max, why is it theoretically possible? I got a few toons to max tier 5 all.

In my eyes its simply 'Grind your *ss off for a month day in day out to get an advantage over others.

Cryptics view is 'to keep people logging in everyday and keep playing'

Powercreep, thats all.

Make content, dont add grind.

btw I know your view isnt per se Cryptics view, so it wasnt specifically at you

Last edited by masterkeychnk5; 07-01-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Community Moderator
# 48
07-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Quote:
The system was never designed to allow everyone to max out everything, so I don't sweat it.
Since this statement has been called into question, I will merely say that back when the Reputation system was first announced the Devs discussed this point and stated that they didn't expect people to grind up to T-5 in every Reputation on every toon. They said they envisioned the Rep system as a way for characters to distinguish themselves. By implication, some toons will specialize in some Reps and some in others. People who "gotta get 'em all" will advance far more slowly than those who specialize.

Of course there will be exceptions, but my guess is that my experience of the game is fairly typical and that that expectation is probably right on the money.

I'd go find where it was said, but I don't want to. So feel free to take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Yes, potentially, given enough time and/or money, you can max out every toon in every Reputation. I fail to see why anybody would WANT to grind that out, but if they do I have no problem with them having exceptional in-game rewards for doing it.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 49
07-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Since this statement has been called into question, I will merely say that back when the Reputation system was first announced the Devs discussed this point and stated that they didn't expect people to grind up to T-5 in every Reputation on every toon. They said they envisioned the Rep system as a way for characters to distinguish themselves. By implication, some toons will specialize in some Reps and some in others. People who "gotta get 'em all" will advance far more slowly than those who specialize.

Of course there will be exceptions, but my guess is that my experience of the game is fairly typical and that that expectation is probably right on the money.
My experience matches this too. I play what I want to play. Rewards pile up. I spend them where they get me "stuff that's handy". Some of my characters have finished the rep, some have not. Some I play and never even bother to claim earned rewards or set new rep projects for days at a time.

I'm having fun. I'm not grinding. It's not even a "gotta have it all" it's "I want is NOWNOWNOW". Without any grind, I'll have all my characters at t5 in all three reps sometime next year.

It's only the people who need it right away that experience it as a grind.

For them, yup, it's gotta be brutal.
Commander
# 50
07-01-2013, 02:10 PM
So if the main consensus by the majority of the community is they dont care about it or they only care until a certain point (tier 3~)

why not ditch 4 and 5? or simply reduce this rediculous amount of time investement to get it all the way to tier 5.

If nobody cares why does it exist in the first place. Again a system like this doesnt give anything interesting for people, and on the other hand can only hurt stuff that is already miserable in this game. I can hardly say the word which begins with P and ends with P,

Every time they add new reputation the gap widens for this particular group for newcomers and oldies.

Just sayin. If cryptic even cares a single bit about that particular and pretty neglected part of this game for 3 years now they should act.

Last edited by masterkeychnk5; 07-01-2013 at 02:14 PM.