Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Reputation System
Login

Career Officer
# 81
07-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post
I have to say, I've reached my limit on the rep system. I started a couple Roms, even decided to final level my KDF... I got through the leveling ... then looked at the rep system, sighed, signed out, and signed in on one of my two main toons that is already done with the systems.

Honestly, I don't think it should be account wide unlocks... but i do think that for each toon that levels you should get X% discount (cost and time) on rep projects (same chain i.e. Omega, Nukara, Romulan) for all other toons. I like 10%... knowing that the toons currently languishing would get a 20% bump because I have already ground out the rep twice before.. this seems fair. You level 10 toons in a rep, gratz... you unlocked it for the entire account. You've put your time in, and should get a break
I like your idea on % based discounts per number of characters in the system.

I would also add the following:

An ability to distribute/share marks and expertise account wide.

Just as I have the ability to send/store consumables for use in the rep system (hypos, commodities) using mail/account bank, I would like to be able to send the marks & expertise to toons that need them.

This would free me up to play what I want, when I want, as opposed to having to run X content on Y character.

Particularly this would alleviate the massive amount of expertise required.

I have old characters with 4 to 8 million expertise, and I have new characters with under 500k.

Allowing me to take that resource I've earned playing the game from an older toon, and distribute it to a new toon, would be a humongous boon.

Lieutenant
# 82
07-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
So how about you? How are you taking the grind in stride?

How many characters will you maintain if they add another 1, 2, 3 or even 4 new Rep systems?

If in 1 year from now, there are a total of 6 Rep systems - would you even dare create a new character?

What happens when a new faction is launched and you have to start all of it over again?
I'm not going to create any more new characters, unless something changes.

I have a Tac and Sci with maxed out reputations in all three current ones, and an Engi I leisurely click along whenever I happen to log her on. My Romulan is in level limbo around ten and unlikely to ever progress from there.

There's just too much annoying busywork involved in the reputation grind. Click-click-clicking the seemingly endless consumable purchases, avoiding AFK leeches in rep mark missions and doing the Mirror Invasion over and over to afford the expertise all combine into a powerful deterrent to bothering with any more alts.

The reputation system and its bonuses are nice things to have and do add to the game, but they've made the system excessively grindy. Taking one character through a new reputation is tolerable, second starts to feel bleh and third... well, that's where I called it.

So, to answer the question posed in the subject, I'm already at that point.
Career Officer
# 83
07-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:

Just as I have the ability to send/store consumables for use in the rep system (hypos, commodities) using mail/account bank, I would like to be able to send the marks & expertise to toons that need them.

This would free me up to play what I want, when I want, as opposed to having to run X content on Y character.

{snip}
I definitely see your point. But IIRC, there is a post out there somewhere by a dev stating that reputations are meantto be character based. I want to make it easier, while maintaining the need for the individual captain to work at his own reputation. But I definitely see your point that I (the player) am going to perform the missions anyway.. so why not allow me divy up the points and experience amongst my account as I see fit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Career Officer
# 84
07-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
Omega rep is easy, just do a couple of STFs every few days and you will have more than enough marks to feed the dialog boxes. Clicking the dialogs isnt hard. Whats the problem?

Romulan rep is much more annoying since you have to either do a lot more space combats (azura every day sometimes twice) or you have to chase epohhs every day. Most people can stop Romulan rep at level 4 though, so at least it doesnt take as long.

Nukera... do you need it for something? Its a pain in the butt, most people dont need anything from it.

I dont understand why people complain about it being hard, its not hard at all, its just time-consuming. That is what I dislike about it, the fact that it takes a couple of months of "hurry up and wait" time-gate BS before somebody can get a level footing
Nukkara sucks. They simply copypasta'd the old missions into 5-man missions which are HARD without a A) crack team or B) Engineers with barrier shields. Total BS.

As for Romulans, I'd suggest Mine Trap over Azure Neb ANY day - Azure NEb is both HARD CAPPED at 18 (23 during the event) AND time capped, so its a total POS - just do Mine trap for a smidge longer with at least 2x the rep.
Ensign
# 85
07-20-2013, 07:19 AM
HUmm unless its from an outstanding idea I wont be rolling new characters. The ones Iv got (6) is a big enough logistical problem to keep grinding rep. Now if they did something like having an account wide flag that lowered the costs for alts if you maxed out a rep on a character, yes account wide rep would be nicer but Im trying to stay realistic here.
Pugio In Averso Belli
Captain
# 86
07-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badname834854 View Post
Nukkara sucks. They simply copypasta'd the old missions into 5-man missions which are HARD without a A) crack team or B) Engineers with barrier shields. Total BS.

As for Romulans, I'd suggest Mine Trap over Azure Neb ANY day - Azure NEb is both HARD CAPPED at 18 (23 during the event) AND time capped, so its a total POS - just do Mine trap for a smidge longer with at least 2x the rep.
If you run Crystalline Entity you get 60 marks on normal + sometimes 80 on elite.
Commander
# 87
07-20-2013, 10:02 AM
The sad fact here is, i was planning to gear up more of my toons, i had plans for them, buy new ships, lockboxes or cstore ships.

But now... i cant do it anymore knowing i will ever have the motivation to rep up all of those toons, i just dont think buyimg new ships is worth it on toons i know never will be geared/repped up to the max.

So in all honesty i think that this will eventually hit cryptic/pwe's wallet as well big time.
Ive known tons of players who left this game because of the horrible grind.

Cryptic better reads this. You cant enforce chinese farming methods on mostly US/EU players it will kill them.
Captain
# 88
07-20-2013, 02:01 PM
It already stopped me!

At the moment I have five alts I consider "played" - three Starfleet, one KDF, one Romulan. I have the rep system completed only on my main, who is a tac in Starfleet. My first character (a Starfleet engineer) and KDF have the Omega rep completed but are glacial on the other two, and my Starfleet scientist isn't even fully leveled yet.

I think the only way I'd start a new alt at this point would be to either a) add a science or engineer alt as KDF or Romulan-KDF, or b) restart my main. Ironically in the case of the latter I might be interested in buying a re-race token to make them a human or buy Joined Trill for them, but this is not currently available and since I'm not going to make another character at this point, I won't be buying new slots, so this has actually cost Cryptic a few bucks.
Captain
# 89
07-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Quote:

Particularly this would alleviate the massive amount of expertise required.

I have old characters with 4 to 8 million expertise, and I have new characters with under 500k.

Allowing me to take that resource I've earned playing the game from an older toon, and distribute it to a new toon, would be a humongous boon.
I like these ideas a lot. I also would propose a cooldown reduction for having multiple toons (not sure how that would work - I know why it's THERE, it's needed for the system to work so they actually have time to make new content, but a reduction would help matters). One thing that stunts my interest in it is the fact that I know that even if I go at maximum speed it'll be about two months before I actually hit paydirt and can start grinding for the gear I want on a new toon. This is especially true in the Omega system, which has most of the stuff I actually want.

An alternative might be if some of the gear becomes more available early in the rep system for new toons, although that might be a bit difficult to wrangle, and possibly too confusing to manage.
Ensign
# 90
07-22-2013, 03:57 PM
I have 5 Federation and 3 Klingon characters. Will start a romulan in the near future (i have just returned to STO).

So i started my grind for the reputation system (all 3 trees T4 now) and realizing how much work it is to farm all the marks (also get some good Doffs and so on), i decided that i will only continue to play one main character.

I think it wouldn't be fun for me getting to T5 on all my toons, ...getting good doffs, ...also getting "hard to get"-ships (maybe LockBox or Lobi Ships). I think that would feel like "hard work". No, thx...

But you know what? - Somehow i like it that i now had to decide for only 1 character... I tended to keep all my toons "on top", that's now all gone... of course i will play the romulan content, just for fun, but i think that's all. No plans to get (and keep) my romulan on top (Reputation T5, doffs, and so on...)

Like i said, i somehow like it now to focus on just 1 toon... makes things easier for me, even if i will miss all my other toons.