Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 88
# 11
06-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Bio Molecular Warhead makes a good substitute for a 'Green Torpedo' granted its capped at Rare XI but it works.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,027
# 12
06-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Let me try again, in STO that is were the deflector is as I cannot see were the Klingon ships have their deflectors, this is not exactly new as several ships lack a visible deflector (notable:Miranda).

But this is inconsequential as we can see the rear launcher but that does not mean much, just because something is "bigger" does not mean its better and we cannot compare a K'tinga with a Galaxy class without the K'tinga falling short as its a much older design.
It's also the place where the torpedoes come in from in STO and the reason I used a Pic of the Galaxy was because it was the easiest to find.
If you like I can use a screenshot of the Constitution refit instead, it also has a one-deck large torpedo launcher.
http://www.starfleetmodeler.com/Star...n_refit_01.jpg
Better?
There is however the question of caliber and the simple fact that there's no rule that every species uses torpedoes of the same size...or all ships of the same species.

And the Hayne's Owner's Workshop Manual can answer the question about the deflecto for you: the deflector on Klingon ships like the Bird or Prey and the K't'inga is not a dish, it's a a set of emitters around the torpedo launcher.
So the...for lack of a better term "beardlike" colouring around the K't'inga's launcher is actually the deflector.
*EDIT: the pic should help:
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4481/y8rd.png
end EDIT*

In case of the Bird of Prey it's the illuminated red "red ring" around the launcher:
http://gndn.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/k6.jpg

Last edited by misterde3; 06-29-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,524
# 13
06-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
It's also the place where the torpedoes come in from in STO and the reason I used a Pic of the Galaxy was because it was the easiest to find.
If you like I can use a screenshot of the Constitution refit instead, it also has a one-deck large torpedo launcher.
http://www.starfleetmodeler.com/Star...n_refit_01.jpg
Better?
There is however the question of caliber and the simple fact that there's no rule that every species uses torpedoes of the same size...or all ships of the same species.

And the Hayne's Owner's Workshop Manual can answer the question about the deflecto for you: the deflector on Klingon ships like the Bird or Prey and the K't'inga is not a dish, it's a a set of emitters around the torpedo launcher.
So the...for lack of a better term "beardlike" colouring around the K't'inga's launcher is actually the deflector.
*EDIT: the pic should help:
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4481/y8rd.png
end EDIT*

In case of the Bird of Prey it's the illuminated red "red ring" around the launcher:
http://gndn.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/k6.jpg
It's the Headlight in the nose! lol... no, seriously, it is-I've got the same book misterde3 is referencing. (also, if you get the right 3p sets, you can SEE it-because it 'shines' in a circular cone...)
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,027
# 14
06-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
It's the Headlight in the nose! lol... no, seriously, it is-I've got the same book misterde3 is referencing. (also, if you get the right 3p sets, you can SEE it-because it 'shines' in a circular cone...)
I was actually worried someone would make an X-Box 360 red ring of death joke.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,367
# 15
06-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
I was actually worried someone would make an X-Box 360 red ring of death joke.
Your B'rel just bricked.
Romulans ...
You start your career off as a simple farmer... then you launch yourself into a galaxy filled with intrigue, power plays, and high stakes games of interstellar conflict, as your career careens upwards onto your final destination ... a level capped Dilithium and Fleet Mark Farmer!
Ensign
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 16
# 16
06-29-2013, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
they would have to make a klingon only torpedo launcher to get said uniqueness.
Not necessarily. Photon and quantum torpedoes can be used by anyone but it's presented as a Starfleet version and canonically does not fit with the Klingon faction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Hello, and welcome to the forums.
Hi, and thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Your sentence about Star Trek 3, does not show Star Trek but the Klingon Bird of Prey from "Enterprise".
I realize that. The image was linked to from Memory Alpha and was meant to represent a type of a torpedo that was introduced in ST3. I wasn't trying to be pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
The Bird of Prey in Star Trek 3 (and 5) actually fired what looks like a Plasma Torpedo so I'm not actually sure it counts.
There is no evidence that it was a plasma torpedo, so that's just speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Presumably this was due to changes in the scrip that appeared later.
Originally the enemies of that movie were supposed to be Romulans, later the script was changed to include something about Kruge stealing the ship from them...al of which was later dropped so the ship became a Klingon design.
They dropped the idea of it being a Romulan ship, so that canonically it's a Klingon invention with the Klingon equipment. They also continued to use the green torpedo up until ST6 and returned to it again in ST7 and the TV shows, so that any last minute script changes would not have influenced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
To be fair the colour difference between the Photon torpedoes on the K't'inga might just have been a matter of somewhat changes special effects, those can drastically change from one movie to the next.
It's possible but it's still a speculation. The evidence is that it looks different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
"Pu'DaH dak cha", simply means "Photon Torpedo", this is not the name of a specific type of torpedo. That request makes little sense given you want a Photon Torpedo that is called..."Photon Torpedo", only in Klingon.
Photon is a type of a torpedo. It's a specific name. Considering that Klingons used photon torpedoes before Starfleet, it's the best name for the lack of a better term. In fact, it would be more correct to state that "Photon Torpedo" is simply "Pu'Dah dak cha" in English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
On the subject of green torpedoes ... please drop it, STO is color coded for your convenience and if you want green torpedoes, use plasma ...
As I said before, it's not just about the color but the unique properties too. Plasma is primarily a Romulan torpedo, which also benefits from Romulan equipment, so it's not unique to the Klingon faction. You end up with the same problem as using a Starfleet copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
in fact considering those green torpedoes come from DS9, a series that is very inconsistent when it comes to technical terms (Definat size, DS9 size) I am not giving it that much credit (and Enterprise is a HOLODECK SIMULATION, a BAD ONE), weapons have a color when in use no matter what ship
No, it came from ST3, fired by the Bird of Prey. DS9 simply introduced a more powerful version of it. While there are inconsistencies in Star Trek, you didn't offer a better source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
its like saying a bullet made in the USA will have a blue trail and one made in Russia will have a red trail.
It's not exclusively about the color but the unique properties too. Ironically, your argument can be applied to the faction color themes in this game: blue (Starfleet), red (Klingons) and green (Romulans).

Quote:
Originally Posted by auric2000 View Post
Bio Molecular Warhead makes a good substitute for a 'Green Torpedo' granted its capped at Rare XI but it works.
I'd rather use the real thing instead of a substitute.

Last edited by krulltek; 06-30-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,027
# 17
06-30-2013, 01:13 AM
Okay, before anyone comes up with the idea of dumping some kind of "You want something overpowered" on us, here's what I'd propose.
I bet nobody will like it but what the heck:

For a baseline comparison I'm going to use the Mk X Photon and Quantum:

Photon
DPV 2704
DPS 416
Cooldown 6.5s

Photon Torpedoes are very common and very average but also quite flexible.

Quantum
DPV 3006
DPS 354
Cooldown 8.5s

Quantums provide a high amount of damage per volley but have a lower RoF.
In STO they fly faster than Photons.

Rapid Fire Photon (the green version)
DPV 2288
DPS 416
Cooldown 5.5s

The modern incarnation of a weapon first seen in the 22nd century.
It's best used on agile ships that can keep their enemiey in arc and is a favourite of Bird or Prey captains. Proposal: make them a little bit faster than standard Photons.
The obvious disadvantage is that Spread and High Yield attacks will be weaker than those of other weapons.

Heavy Photon Torpedo (the big version the K't'inga has)
DPV 2737
DPS 365
Cooldown 7.5

The Heavy Photon is a somewhat larger model that is overcharged with more antimatter.
As a consequence it flies a bit slower than the average Photon Torpedo but packs a bigger punch, even though not as much as a Quantum Torpedo.
Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 375
# 18
06-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Kronos One was gearing up to fire photon torpedoes at the Enterprise-AA after the prototype B'rel fired on the Klingon cruiser. So using multiple weapons types is plausible ST reality.

Introducing a green torpedo would be a welcome addition of course. Actually used them in Klingon Academy as well I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srAtXjhH9YQ
Lyndon Brewer: 20% chance to capture enemy ship for 60 seconds on successful use of boarding party.

cause sometimes its party time!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,027
# 19
06-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lykum View Post
Introducing a green torpedo would be a welcome addition of course. Actually used them in Klingon Academy as well I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srAtXjhH9YQ
ERRMMMM...nope.
Those were heavy disruptors.
Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 375
# 20
06-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Those were heavy disruptors.
Really? If that's true then I've been mistaken this entire time or forgot.. can't remember which? lol long time ago, but still!
Lyndon Brewer: 20% chance to capture enemy ship for 60 seconds on successful use of boarding party.

cause sometimes its party time!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM.