Captain
So in yout mind, what are somethings we can do in space now?

If we wait on the government to do antthing, we will never see the moon again from it's surface. I am in the camp of private everything going into space from this point forward. The new industral movement soon to start.

The way I see it, someone shhould be setting up a colony in space or even on the moon. Why? Well for one it would be a great place to vacation, so you would make money and a lot of money if you made a colony/ resort in space or on the moon.

What are a few ideas in yout mind on the topic of......

What are the things we can do in space right now?
Captain
# 2
09-05-2013, 05:19 AM
My opinon is this we cannot wait for the governments to get off their hands stop procrastinating and do it ourselves.

I think it will be the private sect that will go forward all its going to take is a few break throughs and ease of access to the public and we will be on our way to god knows where.

I think we the human race is destined to travel the stars we are planet bound now only due to short comings and the beleif that governments know what they are doing...they dont.

If they did the USA would be tripling NASAS funding they would be trying to get the private sect into a space race but they are not.

In the US everyone complains about the job market etc etc my solution stop thinking conventional start thinking the final frontier the things needed built we had an industrial revolution now we need a space travel revolution.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k161/wraith_011/Youracistbastard.jpg
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
09-05-2013, 07:14 AM
If private space travel is going to take the forefront, the industry involved will have to fundamentally change. Right now, nearly every company involved is only a LEO launch contractor. Which for all the hype is not a new thing. When Virgin Galactic gets off the ground, that'll add a suborbital airline, but also remove a launch contractor with strong academic sector ties if they stick to the plan they published a few years back.

Planetary Resources has... some promise, if they can keep from flirting with bankruptcy again. Their space telescope is behind schedule - it was supposed to be finished by now for a launch early next year, but the test cubesat still isn't finished, so the launch goal was pushed back to 2016, and the purpose was changed - it'll be leased to academic institutions instead of searching for accessible asteroids, meaning their 100 year timetable won't even be starting yet at that point.

And of course, Planetary Resources' plan depends on NASA leading the way - they're the only private sector space program that even entertains the suggestion of going beyond low earth orbit, and they're counting on the public sector to pave the road for them before they start building cars for it. The plan for everything past the Akryd-200 Interceptor was based on the results of NASA's asteroid capture mission, which was never actually a thing.

Last edited by hevach; 09-05-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Captain
# 4
09-05-2013, 07:59 AM
I think the virus (cancer?) that is humanity should wait on this earth until we grow up.....

...'if' we grow up.

the population has more than doubled in my lifetime...and the stability of our relations has yet to show any improvement at all, we hate and fear everything ..... and we as a species consume, consume, consume to the detriment to all other lifeforms and resources around us.

I'm with the Vulcans....... Humans need to grow up before letting them outside.

# 5
09-05-2013, 08:00 AM
there is a project to send settlers to mars by 2023... it's actually underway with people being selected.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
09-05-2013, 08:05 AM
I covered the dirtier details on Mars One a few months back, but suffice to say: It's also a reality show.
Captain
# 7
09-05-2013, 08:11 AM
they need funding
Captain
# 8
09-05-2013, 10:27 AM
I was listening to an interview with a guy on the Mars One topic, and mainly the reality show angle is meant to bring in advertising money. So it can help offset the money to get people to Mars. The plan is to send teams of 4, thats two women and two men to Mars every 2.5 years. Why the delay in sending people? Simple Mars is at it's closest in that time frame, so the trip is only 6 months to get there.

No my thinking is closer to home. I want some to put a colony on the moon! Why?

#1 You need a support system in place if your going to have a lot of people in one place. So a Moon colony would be a great place to start in my mind. Why not have one in Earths orbit? Until we figure out the gravity issue, no colony will last long in orbit. That's why the 1st colony should be on the moon. Great testing ground to see how long people can really last away from Earth.

#2 Once you have a working colony on the Moon, that will open the door to things you can do. Setting up a hotel on the moon, theme park, even setup factories to make things you can't on Earth.

In my mind this is something we should be doing now anyway. Again nevermind the government guys, they are to busy wastiing money. If companies want to start pushing out into space, then everyone pick something to do, and run with it.

From Space Suits, Satellites and rockets, to rovers, robots and whatever else you to think of. We can make it all work. We already have a station in Earth Orbit, so lets return to the moon and setup shop. It can work and be done sooner. After all it only takes about 3 days or less to get to the moon. I mean it's right there!

http://www.space.com/21588-how-moon-...fographic.html

Last edited by hawkwing43; 09-05-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Captain
# 9
09-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Honestly, I think we should be building something that'll make space seem less inhospitable; to make the whole 'space tourism' thing seem less like an uncomfortable adventure holiday for thrill seekers.

I'd start with a space station with simulated gravity, like a Stanford Torus. It'd get people thinking of space as somewhere to live and work; a change in perspective that is essential if space is to see real development by the private sector.

Of course, there would need to be some practical reason for that station to exist before anyone would build it. I'm not sure what that would be. A home base for future space industries I suppose.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Captain
# 10
09-05-2013, 01:08 PM
the biggest problem with the moon is protection from our lovely sun. Mars offers some