Career Officer
# 1 What is that sound ????
07-10-2013, 08:04 AM
OK I'm hoping someone can answer this as just lately its driving me nuts .

Every now and again, when in any of the social areas, I hear a sound that I can only equate to an "error" sound as if a wrong option has been chosen in LCARS or the KDF equivalent. It seems to happen at random and sometimes multiple times.

I've heard it for ages but just lately its begun to bug me as to what the hell it is. No messages pop up or appear in chat (at least from what I've seen).

I realize that its going to be difficult to answer without actually "hearing" it but I don't know how to get a sample of it (or indeed where the sound files are stored).

Am I going mad? Should I book an emergency session with the ships Councillor? Anyone got an idea of what it is?
Admiral Rednall
* Server Hamster attitude upgrade - Installed *
Career Officer
# 2
07-10-2013, 08:09 AM
It's certainly a bug. I've heard it myself on ground missions as if there was an error scanning when no scanning was performed. They really need to spend a month reviewing all of the errors some of which have been in since launch and just clean house with them on their next update and only do major ui enhancements like making reputation account wide and making the items bought from the fleet and the dilithium store account bound and making dilithium and EC account wide to improve the gameplay overall.
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.
Career Officer
# 3
07-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Actually the fact of it being a possible bug hadn't occurred to me. Because I only seem to hear it in social zones I'd assumed it was something trying to interact with my character. At least I don't think I've heard it on other ground maps lol
Admiral Rednall
Career Officer
# 4
07-10-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm glad someone brought this up, I was feeling a sheepish about mentioning this as I thought I was going crazy....

I've heard it too, mostly on ESD. But while playing the Risa Summer Event I was hearing it. i though someone was sending me a tell or some other chat command that I was doing wrong.

Whew... glad I can reclaim some of my sanity....
-----------------------------------------
Enjoy and have fun!
It is a game.

Career Officer
# 5 Me too
07-10-2013, 08:58 AM
I've been hearing that "bonk" error-type sound for as long as I can remember. No idea what causes it. I don't see any sort of error message popping up in association with it, so I haven't a clue. Didn't think of it in connection with social zones, but that could be a factor.
Saving the universe ... one game at a time.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
07-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Ever since LOR I've heard the singularity charge sound thing on all my characters; It keeps randomly playing whilst in space
Career Officer
# 7
07-10-2013, 09:23 AM
It's usually the STO mail system saying You've got mail. It sometimes goes haywire if you have Alts, and even if you open all mail showing on one Alt; it'll beep because you still have mail (usually Exchange notifications) on another Alt.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Career Officer
# 8
07-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by axellightning View Post
Ever since LOR I've heard the singularity charge sound thing on all my characters; It keeps randomly playing whilst in space
I thought I was experiencing something similar on my Romulan characters, until I realized what I was hearing was the singularity "charge level" (or whatever it's called) dropping another tier. Sometimes crops up in sector space after completing a space mission and exiting with some charge on the singularity core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
It's usually the STO mail system saying You've got mail. It sometimes goes haywire if you have Alts, and even if you open all mail showing on one Alt; it'll beep because you still have mail (usually Exchange notifications) on another Alt.
Interesting. I know the mail system is currently having problems. I've now got a permanent "new mail" light, even with no new mail.
Saving the universe ... one game at a time.
Career Officer
# 9
07-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Nope I dont think its that, the mail system has distinctive sounds for both fed and kdf (and romulan I suppose but I've never noticed lol). This ones odd, and I'm glad to see I dont need councilling as others hear it too! lol

Although mail has gone haywire of late, blinking all the time for me too regardless of whether I've read the email or not.
Admiral Rednall

Last edited by nyxadrill; 07-10-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 10
07-10-2013, 11:33 AM
I've noticed the error sound on ESD for as long as I can remember. I've always just figured it was part of the random background noise, or that some NPC was committing the "error".