Ensign
# 51
07-03-2013, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidiusrex View Post
!!! WINNER !!!

WORK AROUND

This work-around is for characters who have emote messages enabled and want to disable them, but cannot due to the option missing in the UI post LoR. If you already have emote chat disabled, then carry on. Otherwise, you can import your HUD/UI settings from your favorite character, modify the file using the instructions below, and load it to any/ all your characters. Enjoy!

-------------------------

* In-game, press Escape, go to Options > HUD, and click "Save UI"

* Find your ui_Settings.txt file in your STO files.
* * If using Steam, this will be under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live"
* * If using the regular launch, this should be under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live"

* Open the ui_settings.txt file with Notepad, Wordpad, or any other text editor.

* Use the Find function (typically F3) to find the name of the Chat tab you want to edit.

* In the settings for the tab, you'll see the line "MessageTypeFilterMode Exclusive". Underneath are names of channels you DON'T want to see in the tab; e.i.: "MessageType NPC".

* Add the following line: "MessageType Emote".
** Tired of Dabo messages too? Then also add the following line: "MessageType Minigame".

* Save the file and exit your text editing program.

* In-game, press Escape, go to Options > HUD, and click "Load UI"

* PROFIT!

You're welcome

You sir are a genius! I owe you a bottle of Ale, lol.
Ensign
# 52
07-03-2013, 06:31 AM
The emote spam is anyoning, but I only see it if I'm really close to the dance floor. As son as I go away it doesn't appear in my chat, doesn't happen the same to you? Or you need to be for some obscure reason just when the dance contest happens?
Ensign
# 53
07-03-2013, 07:20 AM
What's worse I think is the people who have dance moves hotkeyed/macroed and spit out 6 to 8 moves everytime the instructor calls for one. Thankfully we have report/ignore for them.
Rihannsu
# 54
07-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by irracional View Post
The emote spam is anyoning, but I only see it if I'm really close to the dance floor. As son as I go away it doesn't appear in my chat, doesn't happen the same to you? Or you need to be for some obscure reason just when the dance contest happens?
THIS^

Seriously, if you're not in the immediate vicinity, you can't see them.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Republic Veteran
# 55 Thank you, obsidiusrex...^^
07-09-2013, 10:00 AM
@Obsidiusrex:

Thank you so much for your excellent guide, Sir. I tried it out this morning and it works perfectly.

I translated your guide into german - I hope you agree with that.

A big hug from Germany to you, Sir!!^^

Kind regards

Grigul
Starfleet Veteran
# 56
07-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by irracional View Post
Emote spam only has a "range" of 50 ft, but this can fall within the boundaries of the dabo table and ornithologist. Besides, if one actually participates in the dance contest, it is all but impossible to actually have a chat/ PM conversation without filtering it out of the chat window if it's not already disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgamemonsterx View Post
What's worse I think is the people who have dance moves hotkeyed/macroed and spit out 6 to 8 moves everytime the instructor calls for one. Thankfully we have report/ignore for them.
Putting a player on your Ignore list is acceptable, but using the "Report for Spam" feature for players who are taking part in a legitimate, dev-designed activity, simply because a player is in the vicinity or incapable of filtering it out, may actually get that reporting player in trouble for abusing the Report system. I strongly advise to use the Ignore function instead, or follow my previously-posted steps to remove Emote messages from your Chat tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigul1 View Post
@Obsidiusrex:

Thank you so much for your excellent guide, Sir. I tried it out this morning and it works perfectly.

I translated your guide into german - I hope you agree with that.

A big hug from Germany to you, Sir!!^^

Kind regards

Grigul
Perfectly acceptable And you're welcome!

I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
And remember to follow the rules.

Last edited by obsidiusrex; 07-09-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 57
07-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Dear Mother,

I know you're new to STO, so I will give you a break. I have a character that has been in-game since launch. I've created custom global channels. I've created multiple tabs with different chat options per channel.

However, it seems like issues that cropped up in beta have made it to Live. This means that, even for the thoroughly initiated such as myself, it's impossible to remove "emote" chat, as the box has been removed from the UI, and removing other channels such as "local" or "system" do not solve the issue. Unless a character had the "emotes" channel turned off before LoR (or had settings imported from a character with this setting disabled), one can't shut off emotes at all - at least through the GUI.

This, and the issue with the double slash (//) coming up whenever one uses the slash to start chat, are probably the tow most annoying things to happen to the UI since I discovered how many players were winning lock box ships.

Please understand Mom, this is not a sleight to you. I understand you're just trying to be helpful, but I'm pretty sure I know a thing or three about how the game's Chat system works, from being here so long and for being in City of Heroes, which used a very similar global chat system, for seven years previous.

Now please return to chatting with the knitting circle on AOL Instant Messenger, and I'll try to scour the /slash commands for a work around.

Hugs and Kisses,
I'd hardly call being active since 2010 'new', but who am I to assume things?
Commander
# 58
07-09-2013, 01:13 PM
just make another chat tab, turn everything off but zone chat
and emote spam fixed.
Career Officer
# 59
07-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Quote:
!!! WINNER !!!

WORK AROUND

You're welcome
You have my gratitude!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artanisen View Post
just make another chat tab, turn everything off but zone chat
and emote spam fixed.
You can't disable Emotes or Mini Games in the chat settings any more. Hence the reason for the spam and for this workaround.
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since Beta.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
127 little bugs in the code...

Last edited by khamseenair; 07-12-2013 at 11:07 AM.