Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 967
# 21
06-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lykum View Post
I always imagined the borg as the lesson of where a normal race can go too far with science. Enhancing themselves to the point that it consumed them...
I am on the same page as you.

I can imagine an innocent humanoid species, which started off with slight technological enhancements. As more and more time past, the species unconsciously became lost to the technology.

Its a very dark premise.

Science-fiction has explored the Borg concept in the past. I would love to see a movie, which explains the Borg's origins in a very nightmarish manner. I am talking about an "Alien" type of horror science-fiction movie.

Last edited by linyive; 06-30-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,533
# 22
06-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
I am on the same page as you.

I can imagine an innocent humanoid species, which started off with slight technological enhancements. As more and more time past, the species unconsciously became lost to the technology.

Its a very dark premise.

Science-fiction has explored the Borg concept in the past. I would love to see a movie, which explains the Borg's origins in a very nightmarish manner. I am talking about an "Alien" type of horror science-fiction movie.
The Matrix? ...close enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
I promote CatStar as acting Captain of STO....wait, I never said that! Darn it CatStar, cut that out!"

How Picard dealt with ARC_STO Feedback_White Ranger VS Scorpion
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,060
# 23
06-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrisvalar View Post
I reject any Borg origin story that makes humanity responsible for their existence, somehow. Whether through a crazed Caeliar possessing temporally dislocated survivors from the Columbia, or some random probe fired off in the wrong direction. It's far too much of a science fiction clich?, smacks of self-importance and requires bending and twisting the laws of common sense and chance way past my ability to suspend disbelief.
One of the reasons Steve Ditko, creator of Spider-Man, left the comic was because Stan Lee insisted that The Green Goblin was going to be Norman Osborne. Ditko felt this was idiotic soap opera stuff because that would move Spidey from being a normal Joe dealing with the world, to being a center of the universe. A "super man" if you will.

Lee won out, and the superhero soap opera was born. Since this sort of story telling was in the TNG era Trek shows and books Post-St.Gene, it makes sense that people would want to make the Borg something humanity had a hand in creating instead of the more realistic option of the Collective being some aliens that did it on their own.

It's all Stan Lee's fault.
_________________
Nebula coffee is the best coffee
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,092
# 24
06-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Freaking Stan Lee.


I for one am sick of the "Oh noes, wee R teh m0nsters all al0ng!" plot. What happened to science fiction being about punching space monkeys in the face?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,533
# 25
06-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Freaking Stan Lee.


I for one am sick of the "Oh noes, wee R teh m0nsters all al0ng!" plot. What happened to science fiction being about punching space monkeys in the face?

Nah, "Planet of the Apes" has been over done! Lets try a new theme, something without the same old thing, how about robots, not massive Japanese city killers, I mean imagine life aboard a Borg ship...we have seen drama and comedy, negotiations and good guy bad guy, what about a no nonesence villain in action! Picture this, aside from the hive directives, we hear each drones persons trying to fight it in thier minds, longing for thier release or some hope of resisteing...successful assimilations of planets and ships, no heroic rescues or last minute saves...have a mini series of the Borg winning in thier space, and restore this villain to thier rightful place as something cold and terrifying. You have to admit, it would be a good thriller if a good writer is given the task!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
I promote CatStar as acting Captain of STO....wait, I never said that! Darn it CatStar, cut that out!"

How Picard dealt with ARC_STO Feedback_White Ranger VS Scorpion
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,710
# 26
06-30-2013, 06:58 PM
The Borg came about as a result of a pathetic attempt to recreate the Star Trek IP using modern "talent."

Said talent decided that in the future of Star Trek, everyone would be friends, reducing the Klingons to mere interesting aliens.

After discovering they had painted themselves into a corner without any bad guys for the heroes to fight, someone came up with (predictably) Space Zombies.

Now we are stuck with them.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 375
# 27
06-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
Its a very dark premise.
I'm thinking it started early, say the first nanoprobes designed to combat illness and repair broken limbs given programming to learn, replicate, and adapt to new things. One day some of the programming learns it can also contruct new materials that it sees as beneficial to the organic life-form. The organics react trying to purge themselves of the nano-probes and the programming resist. So it becomes a simple malfunction that turns into fleets of cubes...
Lyndon Brewer: 20% chance to capture enemy ship for 60 seconds on successful use of boarding party.

cause sometimes its party time!
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 398
# 28
06-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
The Borg came about as a result of a pathetic attempt to recreate the Star Trek IP using modern "talent."

Said talent decided that in the future of Star Trek, everyone would be friends, reducing the Klingons to mere interesting aliens.

After discovering they had painted themselves into a corner without any bad guys for the heroes to fight, someone came up with (predictably) Space Zombies.

Now we are stuck with them.
I could be wrong here, but weren't the Borg on the very first episode of TNG?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 686
# 29
07-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Since they're so similar to Doctor Who's Cybermen, I tend to believe that they have a similar origin. An alien race, with advanced knowledge of cybernetics, faces a crisis that could lead to the extinction of their species. To survive, they begin to replace more and more of their biological components with cybernetic ones, at the same time creating the collective concious that becomes the hive mind. Eventually they become the Borg.

This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:47 AM.