Lt. Commander
# 1 Servers etc.
01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
I have now been continually trying to get in for 35 minutes with NO luck. If this is how is going to be when it goes live, I will be re-selling my release copy as soon as I get it, I will NOT be subscibing... Having been a WOW user for some time, why do they not have these problems and I know it is still in BETA, but this is supposed to encourage people to pay for this, no way jose is what I say
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfik View Post
I know it is still in BETA, but this is supposed to encourage people to pay for this,
Oh, the irony.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Quote:
I have now been continually trying to get in for 35 minutes with NO luck. If this is how is going to be when it goes live, I will be re-selling my release copy as soon as I get it, I will NOT be subscibing... Having been a WOW user for some time, why do they not have these problems and I know it is still in BETA, but this is supposed to encourage people to pay for this, no way jose is what I say
The server has been down for 2 hours.....
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-22-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm pretty sure that this was an announced maint. Not a random downtime. Check the news ahead of time pl0x. This is just trolling, not even asking for help.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Having been a WOW user for some time:
Not long enough it seems...2 months after WoW released queue's of around 3 hours to enter were pretty common,it was not until after sometime that this was sorted.....try to research your whine post before you make it....that is all.
Lt. Commander
# 6 Useless
01-24-2010, 03:31 PM
I was NOT asking for help, just staing my opinion and I have been plyaing WOW for 3 years now, maybe NOT from the start, but never had the problems that this game has. Don't bother to reply as it will be a useless one anyway

Surely if a server is down, it would be GOOD to state that when people TRY to log in and not just tell you that it is not allowed

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Your Pal, Indigofyre
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinhealer
Not long enough it seems...2 months after WoW released queue's of around 3 hours to enter were pretty common,it was not until after sometime that this was sorted.....try to research your whine post before you make it....that is all.
Yeah, Sinhealer I was there and I didn't like it then, what on earth makes you think I'm gonna like it now, so many years down line ?

I'm getting damn sick & tired of this old worn out excuse !! WoW launched over 5 years ago (coding on it started over 8 years ago), coding techniques and technology have moved on a lot since then and server stability has gotten much better in all fields. The bar has been raised and now it's up to other companies to up their game !!

The guy you are so ignorantly putting down has every right to compare what he sees here to WoW, after all it's what he hopes it will be replacing. Would you replace a working, decent, reliable yet old car with a new unreliable one ??

The point here is simple, WoW is the benchmark, like it or not. It is up to companies like Cryptic to take away Blizzards crown. At the moment, STO shows potential only, nothing more, it's up to Cryptic to feed it the juice to pump it up to the winners podium.

I personally want to see STO suceeding, but unless they have a decent launch, then I fear it will go the way of so many others before who failed to meet expectations such as D&D, ***, WAR etc.

Please Cryptic, don't do this on the cheap, WoW is getting tired and is there for the taking if you pump some cold hard cash into making this game all it that it can be !! STEP YOUR GAME UP !!!
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-24-2010, 04:49 PM
If you read the OP he was asking why WoW does not have these problems,I simply added that it did have server problems.

They got the problem sorted as people gave them time to sort it,it is ok to say it is 5 years later but the server still needs to be tested regardless of how much the gaming world has progressed,that is the main reason for open beta,everytime the server crash's I am sure they are learning from it.

Lets say we give them a chance to release the game and give them time to sort the server out(they have already said they are adding parts to the server to hold more people and be more stable)before we burn them at the stake.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinhealer
If you read the OP he was asking why WoW does not have these problems,I simply added that it did have server problems.

They got the problem sorted as people gave them time to sort it,it is ok to say it is 5 years later but the server still needs to be tested regardless of how much the gaming world has progressed,that is the main reason for open beta,everytime the server crash's I am sure they are learning from it.

Lets say we give them a chance to release the game and give them time to sort the server out(they have already said they are adding parts to the server to hold more people and be more stable)before we burn them at the stake.
"Does" is far from "did" , however, I'll grant you that this is still technically a stress testing exercise. But it is seriously way too close to launch and we ain't even got the full game files yet, which will probably bring their own gremlins.

The problem here is you are looking at this with the rational of a person with patience, a rare commodity in our modern consumer led society. Cryptic don't have time, that's fact, we live in a NOW society today and every year it gets worse, everything must be NOW or folks go elsewhere it's sad but it is reality. I've seen my fair share of innovative new games dripping with potential fall on their a**es due to problems at launch. MMO fans are notoriously fickle and rarely give anything a second chance.... Cryptic should know this and absolutely nothing should be left to chance. A simple mistake like having to order more sever blades shows a lack of planning or foresight and could prove mighty costly.

My main concern stems from the fact that Cryptic have either left the stress testing too late or brought the release date too soon. I pray I'm wrong but my gut says I'm not.

If you've read any of my other posts, you'll know I'm prepared to give STO a good few months of my time to see if it grows into what I think it can be, but like I said, Cryptic have to pull out all the stops here.

Once again I say Go for it Cryptic, speculate to accumulate, splash the cash !!!
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-24-2010, 05:33 PM
I agree with you that a lot of mmo players are indeed very fickle and they want everything now and fully finished,that is why I pointed the OP to the fact that WoW was not perfect at launch,in fact very far from it.
I think that maybe back then mmo players were more patient and forgiving than they are today.

The very 1st day of open beta people were posting they were quitting as the server was down or indeed "the game sux,I can not even get the client download"

I think gaming has moved on but maybe the gaming crowd demands to much from an mmo at release,they all want the polish of games that have been released for years but seem to forget those games have had time to grow into what they are today.