Commander
# 1 STF Elite surprises
07-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Has anyone ever done an STF Space Elite using (relatively) weaker marked weapons and equipment (such as Mk VIII or Mk X) and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome? I did just that on my first (and so far ONLY) KDF Klingon character, Mah'Jong Smirnov! I recently got him to lvl 50 and hadn't used him for a while and finally decided to focus on working on my lvl 50s' Omega Reps. I recently took Mah'Jong and the IKS Thor'Nak (Kamarag Battle Cruiser Retrofit), which is currently equipped with mostly Mk VIII consoles and Mk X Disruptors and photon *Plasma torpedoes. In comparison with my original STO character, Sampa Firespitter's flag ship, USS Hornet (Sovereign-class Assault Cruiser (Rear Admiral version)), which has which is mostly equipped with Mk XI and Mk XII equipment and weapons, the IKS Thor'Nak did SO much better and appeared to be dealing QUITE a bit of damage (sorry, I don't know the numbers at this time)! Has anyone else encountered a similar kind of surprise?
Captain
# 2
07-18-2013, 10:55 PM
i would assume you were carried by a team of attack pattern beta users. everyone using that would make your hits seem astonishing when in fact they are low in comparison
Commander
# 3
07-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
i would assume you were carried by a team of attack pattern beta users. everyone using that would make your hits seem astonishing when in fact they are low in comparison
I mostly dealt with protecting the Temporal Vortex from the probes and the occasional sphere. My fed cruiser, whose weapons are on the highest available level, seem to do absolutely NOTHING. On the other hand, I have dealt FAR more damage with the IKS Thor'Nak against the very same things! and to answer the question of being "carried"? I do not think so as most of the time, I am alone in my defense quest of the temporal vortex (although I do not understand why we have to protect the vortex, why not just destroy it and be done with it?)!
Career Officer
# 4
07-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampa4 View Post
I mostly dealt with protecting the Temporal Vortex from the probes and the occasional sphere. My fed cruiser, whose weapons are on the highest available level, seem to do absolutely NOTHING. On the other hand, I have dealt FAR more damage with the IKS Thor'Nak against the very same things! and to answer the question of being "carried"? I do not think so as most of the time, I am alone in my defense quest of the temporal vortex (although I do not understand why we have to protect the vortex, why not just destroy it and be done with it?)!
That's a throwback to the original STF setup, where they were basically episodes in themselves.

And, as such, the Vortex was being used by the Borg to send their ships back in time. To elaborate further, the Borg's actual destination in the past was Delta Vega, during the tutorial.

It was, therefore, revealed that the reason that the Borg were 'lackluster' and weakened during your character's experience of them during the tutorial was that they had been battling with your character's 'future self'.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Commander
# 5
07-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
That's a throwback to the original STF setup, where they were basically episodes in themselves.

And, as such, the Vortex was being used by the Borg to send their ships back in time. To elaborate further, the Borg's actual destination in the past was Delta Vega, during the tutorial.

It was, therefore, revealed that the reason that the Borg were 'lackluster' and weakened during your character's experience of them during the tutorial was that they had been battling with your character's 'future self'.
So, if the player(s) had destroyed the vortex, they would effectively rewrite history as we know/see it? Oh boy, now I REALLY hate temporal paradoxes!
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-19-2013, 08:35 AM
So you could kill a some probes that doesn't fire on you..
Did you killed your generator and cube while you where protecting the Temporal Vortex ??
Thats how you do that part of the mission, if not then you where carried by your team.
Keybind: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=463
Bone1970 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
Bone Trader don't belief in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng.
Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
Commander
# 7
07-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin1970giesen View Post
So you could kill a some probes that doesn't fire on you..
Did you killed your generator and cube while you where protecting the Temporal Vortex ??
Thats how you do that part of the mission, if not then you where carried by your team.
I did take part in it (even rammed the Thor'Nak into a cube and a sphere for good measure!)!
Commander
# 8
07-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampa4 View Post
Has anyone ever done an STF Space Elite using (relatively) weaker marked weapons and equipment (such as Mk VIII or Mk X) and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome? I did just that on my first (and so far ONLY) KDF Klingon character, Mah'Jong Smirnov! I recently got him to lvl 50 and hadn't used him for a while and finally decided to focus on working on my lvl 50s' Omega Reps. I recently took Mah'Jong and the IKS Thor'Nak (Kamarag Battle Cruiser Retrofit), which is currently equipped with mostly Mk VIII consoles and Mk X Disruptors and photon *Plasma torpedoes. In comparison with my original STO character, Sampa Firespitter's flag ship, USS Hornet (Sovereign-class Assault Cruiser (Rear Admiral version)), which has which is mostly equipped with Mk XI and Mk XII equipment and weapons, the IKS Thor'Nak did SO much better and appeared to be dealing QUITE a bit of damage (sorry, I don't know the numbers at this time)! Has anyone else encountered a similar kind of surprise?
Yes. Absolutely. Especially with KDF ships that tend to have more frontal firepower, but even a lvl 30 FED sci vessel can run an ESTF with complete success using nothing more than MK X. (I have done them in lvl 20 FEd ships for lulz with the same shock you encountered) However as others mentioned, the other 4 may be carrying you in term of "how fast" it gets done. Still I have no doubt that a team of 5 experienced STFers could easily handle a Vortex using nothing more than stock ships and MK X or lower gear. I'd even dare to say that 5 "Sibiran Space" accolade holders with lvl 30 FED ships and level appropriate (MK VII/VIII) gear could probably wing an elite Conduit, optional objective excluded ofc. Perhaps I shall attempt this some day to prove how boring PvE is. Once you've run a grind mission 100+ times, there is no mystery on what to do or how to do it and tactics become way more important than individual DPS.

If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
Survivor of Remus
# 9
07-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegashinzon View Post
Yes. Absolutely. Especially with KDF ships that tend to have more frontal firepower, but even a lvl 30 FED sci vessel can run an ESTF with complete success using nothing more than MK X. (I have done them in lvl 20 FEd ships for lulz with the same shock you encountered) However as others mentioned, the other 4 may be carrying you in term of "how fast" it gets done. Still I have no doubt that a team of 5 experienced STFers could easily handle a Vortex using nothing more than stock ships and MK X or lower gear. I'd even dare to say that 5 "Sibiran Space" accolade holders with lvl 30 FED ships and level appropriate (MK VII/VIII) gear could probably wing an elite Conduit, optional objective excluded ofc. Perhaps I shall attempt this some day to prove how boring PvE is. Once you've run a grind mission 100+ times, there is no mystery on what to do or how to do it and tactics become way more important than individual DPS.
You are quite right. Aside from The Cure space and The Hive Onslaught, all of the space STF's can easily be beaten with MkVIII gear. I've done it on countless occasions with ships that I had just purchased using nothing but the standard weapons they came equipped with.
Commander
# 10
07-19-2013, 12:49 PM
On a more funny note...at least to me...on the same character, in another Khitomer Vortex Elite...when the mission got to the part where you have to battle with the IRW Valdore, not only was I fortunate enough to dodge each and every Thalaron Pulse, but, not once, but TWICE she decloaked with me DIRECTLY beneath the Valdore! That is a one in a million chance of that happening and it happened TWICE in a row in the same STF match! To further the fortune, I had ZERO indicators of where she was!