Commander
# 31
07-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
I didn't say it can't be done.

Not necessarily directed to you, just trying to cover as many bases as possible here.

Discharge would be more than easy enough to solve, and you can power the platform with steam and/or run a second cable from the station in orbit. If we build it large enough, we can send humans on deep space assignment on something as simple as a space barge. That or use robots and recent developments in the INVITRO (nipple-necks) ideas to spread mankinds seed through the cosmos.
Lyndon Brewer: 20% chance to capture enemy ship for 60 seconds on successful use of boarding party.

cause sometimes its party time!

Last edited by lykum; 07-01-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: yay for hustler magazine! stupid fkn quotes!!!
Career Officer
# 32
07-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
It has been over 40.5 years since Man has landed on the moon. What has happened to our sense of exploration?
While I share your disappointment (I was 6 years old when I watched Neil Armstrong set foot on the Moon live. At that age, I personally thought by now we might have a small permanent moonbase, and would be moving on to a manned Mars landing by the time I was the age I am now); the fact is -- The manned Moon landings were all a political 'cold war' publicity stunt to prove once and for all that the U.S. (at the time) was technically superior/better than the U.S.S.R.) -- and once we knew the Russians were no longer trying for the Moon (or beyond) - and we effectively 'won' the Space Race; politicians no longer saw any reason to continue, and NASA's budget was slashed.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Starfleet Veteran
# 33
07-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Star Trek died out ...
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Captain
# 34
07-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lykum View Post
Not necessarily directed to you, just trying to cover as many bases as possible here.

Discharge would be more than easy enough to solve, and you can power the platform with steam and/or run a second cable from the station in orbit. If we build it large enough, we can send humans on deep space assignment on something as simple as a space barge. That or use robots and recent developments in the INVITRO (nipple-necks) ideas to spread mankinds seed through the cosmos.
Yup. Most of the energy used in a space launch is used to get out of Earth's gravity well. A space elevator would reduce the energy necessary to travel to other locations. There is also the problem that some propellants are harmful to the environment.

Essentially, a space elevator would be a very important part of a earlier version of ESD. Unless Transporters are developed, then a space elevator would have to do. The theory behind it is sound, it is just a matter of developing technology to the point of it being viable and having people in the right positions and vision to see it through.

If proof comes out stating that transporters are now a reality and someone has actually been teleported or some technology comes out which makes conventional rockets completely obsolete like cheap anti-gravity powered ships, then the space elevator would be completely pointless.