Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,725
# 11
06-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by playhard88 View Post
New? lol
And you answer was expected, you are one of those who i was referring in my previous post.
So you are a noob.

Thanks for clarifying.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.


Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 135
# 12
06-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Pls create a new post for this. We are trying to do something here for the entire PvP Community. Thx for your understanding.
Nova Aurora Polaris
- Nova Aurora Polaris -
@pascalb1
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,260
# 13
06-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkeychnk5 View Post
Does it also include a section to demonize the other half of the community?

But seriously, its kind of sad to see though we formerly had PvP bootcamp server for everyone to join no matter their offspring just for fun, why do we need 10 alternatives and split everything up? No idea what happened to bootcamp lately tho.

Organizedpvp seems a fine place to me as well, nothing else needed.
AFAIK, Boot Camp has had a change in leadership and a switch of official Team speak servers. Other than that, its business as usual.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,416
# 14
07-01-2013, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardestroyer001 View Post
AFAIK, Boot Camp has had a change in leadership and a switch of official Team speak servers. Other than that, its business as usual.
i think thats killed it imo.

cryptic had the chance to take the reins and make something of it and dropped the ball again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,325
# 15
07-01-2013, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
i think thats killed it imo.

cryptic had the chance to take the reins and make something of it and dropped the ball again.
Funny, that's the second or third time you'd said that in a post MK.

Not sure where you're getting that from either, Cryptic has no say over what BC does. They're kind enough to give us a heads up on matters, and allow us to post blogs on the front site.

If BC is struggling at all, it may be due to some of our more seasoned coaches suddenly disappearing once they got their reward.

Totally unrelated, but I've not seen you at any of the sessions recently. I'm amazing you've gained such insight...
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,461
# 16
07-01-2013, 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pascalb1 View Post
PPC Channel is similar to OrganizedPvP however it will be more about pvp than chatting.

It is open for everyone who wants to join it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquitaine985 View Post
I'll keep an eye on the site. But as our community is so small, I find these forums & OPvP is enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkeychnk5 View Post
Organizedpvp seems a fine place to me as well, nothing else needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by playhard88 View Post
OPvP is crap right now. It was a good channel for discuss pvp and find matches, but now is just full of trolls/hatters chatting 24/7 (and my guess is that some of them don't even do pvp, i never found them in the qques)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pascalb1 View Post
Pls create a new post for this. We are trying to do something here for the entire PvP Community. Thx for your understanding.
While I get that the little tiff that was taking place there was distracting from the topic at hand, one can see where one might see "do something here for the entire PvP Community" as splitting the community.

Putting down the OPvP channel in the way that you did, isn't really about building community.

Yes, 2-3 weeks back OPvP was invaded by trolls from a well known trolling fleet. I ended up putting more folks on my ignore list than I had in over a year and a half of playing STO. Of course, it still meant having to read the odd comment said in reply to them - but for the most part, that chatter simply did not exist. Other folks either actually added them to their ignore lists, already had them on their ignore lists, or just did not pay attention to them.

Generally speaking though, there are folks talking about what the devs are doing - news/posts from the site, there are folks organizing PUGmades, there are folks looking for other Premades, there are people asking for build advice, etc, etc, etc...all that PvP goodness. But yes, there is also some random chatter from time to time.

It's a community being social. It's kind of important for a community to develop...allow it to develop naturally. Community can definitely be influenced, sure - but if one tries to force it to adhere to certain things, tries to constrain it in certain ways, yeah - there will be the sheep that muddle along going through the motions, but it won't be real. There will also be those that end up rebelling against it.

I mean, it kind of sounds like something you'd read in various history texts about failed dictatorships and the like...heck, has almost a medieval European thing going for it.

Why not try to get with the mods for OPvP, see about identifying issues you believe that exist for the channel, and whether everybody agrees that they are issues that need to be addressed...rather than put down part of the community because it's not precisely the way you want it?
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,416
# 17
07-01-2013, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquitaine985 View Post
Funny, that's the second or third time you'd said that in a post MK.

Not sure where you're getting that from either, Cryptic has no say over what BC does. They're kind enough to give us a heads up on matters, and allow us to post blogs on the front site.

If BC is struggling at all, it may be due to some of our more seasoned coaches suddenly disappearing once they got their reward.

Totally unrelated, but I've not seen you at any of the sessions recently. I'm amazing you've gained such insight...
second or third time i've said what? why so hostel?


i mean, when boot camp was first started, cryptic had the chance to make it known that they were interested and willing to do something with pvp.

things like- sponsored events, prizes, crazy rule based tournys, fundays etc etc.

sure, graduation classes get a niffty respect token and a title but its really meaningless i feel in the grand scheme of things. (if they even still do that)

if they are doing any of the above they sure aren't making it known.

as far as i know boot camp is still only a community run thing (which can lead to its own issues, although i'm not saying there are any at the moment.) where-as I've always felt if cryptic ran it there'd be more of a "final" say on it.

i helped teach in the first season of boot camp, but real life made that fairly hard (i worked nights then, making it very difficult for me to help with the classes).

work now has also pretty much eaten up all my time so i rarely even get to log in on anything anymore.

and quite frankly this game sucks at pvp to me. (hazzard of being here since the beginning i guess) i still enjoyed the pve from time to time though...

but like i said, just no time to play.


I always imagined boot camp wouldnt just be a place to teach people the basics of pvp (i still strongly feel the game itself should have that in it somewhere) but that boot camp was also the first step in cryptic getting in touch with the community.

i guess i just had different ideas on what boot camp was to do for the game eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?

Last edited by maicake716; 07-01-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,228
# 18
07-01-2013, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardestroyer001 View Post
AFAIK, Boot Camp has had a change in leadership and a switch of official Team speak servers. Other than that, its business as usual.
Just to point out this is indeed a rumour.

Boot Camp has NOT had a change in Leadership. Sargon resigned sure, but the rest of the Boot Camp leaders that have been there, from the start I might add, are still there. Boot Camp is more than just about one person.

We have never stopped working in the interests of Boot Camp.

I encourage folks to support all those looking to further PvP.

Also, just so there is no confusion. Boot Camp decided to get our own TeamSpeak because we believe that Boot Camp needed to remain neutral and removed from any potential for controversy or being perceived as favoring any group.

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 07-01-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,400
# 19
07-01-2013, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Putting down the OPvP channel in the way that you did, isn't really about building community.
Spot on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Generally speaking though, there are folks talking about what the devs are doing - news/posts from the site, there are folks organizing PUGmades, there are folks looking for other Premades, there are people asking for build advice, etc, etc, etc...all that PvP goodness. But yes, there is also some random chatter from time to time.

It's a community being social. It's kind of important for a community to develop...allow it to develop naturally.
Yeah I agree here as well.

There is another, large, PvE focused, channel that has had rampant over modding to the point that 0 conversation is tolerated, and the scope of what is even allowed is extremely limiting?

The result?

I've watched several off shoots spring up, and one particularly very successful one - with the original channel consistently bleeding activity.

Global channels really need to expect some level of just social interaction going on, that's kind the point of playing an MMO in the first place.



Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
...rather than put down part of the community because it's not precisely the way you want it?
Good advice.

When you want to organize people less is more when it comes to rules and restrictions.

Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,416
# 20
07-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post

When you want to organize people less is more when it comes to rules and restrictions.
Which is why opvp is pretty hands off except for the occasional "go to the corner and think about what you did" situations.

There's even fewer bannings except in extreme situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:12 AM.