Former PWE Community Team Lead
Massively's STO Columnist Terilynn Shull recently visited Cryptic Studios to talk to the team. In this week's Captain's Log entry, which is also the final entry in this series, she writes about her interview with Environment Artist Nick "Tacofangs" Duguid, UI Artist Thomas "TheCrypticCat" Marrone, and Ship Artist Ian "JamJamz" Richards.

Link to the column.
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Empire Veteran
# 2
09-17-2013, 11:13 PM
i have always been quite impressed with how the scimitar turned out. i did wonder were the heck the artists found decent reference for the thing at all! i guess thats got its advantages and disadvantages, at least no one can argue he got it wrong! it does look really great though, its just that its MUCH to big, it needs its scale reduced by like 20% based on the published size figures. at least its proportions are correct.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Career Officer
# 3
09-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Terilynn Shull lives at cryptic How many of these are there?
Captain
# 4
09-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
i have always been quite impressed with how the scimitar turned out. i did wonder were the heck the artists found decent reference for the thing at all! i guess thats got its advantages and disadvantages, at least no one can argue he got it wrong! it does look really great though, its just that its MUCH to big, it needs its scale reduced by like 20% based on the published size figures. at least its proportions are correct.
About the only images I can think of to use as reference were the ramming sequence, and using the known dimensions of the Sovereign as a starting point to extrapolate outward. Everything else with the Scimmy was subject to some fairly severe PoV distance distortions.
Career Officer
# 5
09-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Quote:
I asked Richards about his greatest challenge on creating the Scimitar and her counterparts for the game. Richards confessed the toughest part of designing the vessel was actually trying to find decent reference material on the ship from the film. Since the ship was created in the film using CGI, there were no physical models accessible to refer to, nor was there any particularly clear or well-lit shot of the vessel that could be viewed in greater detail. Apparently the CGI models were lost to the wind after the film was completed, and they have not been seen since. As a result, Richards was forced to come up with many of the details of the ships' visual appearance, and it became an extremely time-consuming process.
Never knew the Scimitar's CGI model was lost. Especially since they kept many of the CGI models from DS9 and Voyager. And believe the Nemesis Enterprise-E model is still floating around.

Did you guys ask Doug Drexler if he might have a copy of the model by chance?

Anyhow, no complaints about the Scimitar model itself, it looks good. Though I wish the Falchion and the Talwar weren't so identical to the Scimitar, so you could have more fun with the customization.

Quote:
At the time of our interview, UI Artist Thomas Marrone had just "given birth" to the completely overhauled UI in the game. While he was relieved that the UI had been generally well received and he was beginning to relax somewhat from the mountain of work the project had become, he had also begun working on the new summer event on Risa and was proud of his work on the new UI for carriers, which have since been implemented into the game. Captains now have the ability to monitor the health of their carrier pets once they've been deployed. Individual pets also rank up the longer they survive, and their abilities' effectiveness increases. So carrier captains now have a clear reason to protect their fighter or shuttle squadrons, whereas before they merely just launched a new wing when they were destroyed.
The new UI still has bugs that need fixed. Like how you have to wait for your information to load. Too many times I ended up in ground missions on my Romulan and it defaults to the original BOFFS (Tovan, Veril, etc), instead of the BOFFs that are optimized for ground combat.

And the Carrier UI is nice, but why does the launch button have to be next to the attack button? Too many times a 5 star fighters ended up being replaced with a new fighter when you just wanted to tell them to attack a particular target.

Quote:
Marrone told me he is currently working on support for the new ships as well as what was also just implemented, the new icons for all of the preexisting consoles. As many players are now well-aware, all of the console icons have been changed to reflect their use and function in a more streamlined way. For example, engineering consoles all have a faint yellow background, tactical consoles appear red, and science is denoted by blue. Each console icon also now has a smaller icon within it that will reflect what type of weapon or system it affects. A tactical console for projectile weapons can now be differentiated between photon, quantum, etc., merely by looking at the smaller indicator on in the icon.
Wish there was talk on how people are still having problem with the new icons, especially those who have visual disabilities like colorblindness. Really disappointed that the team is purposely ignoring this issue.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!

Last edited by azurianstar; 09-18-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Commander
# 6
09-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Massively's STO Columnist Terilynn Shull recently visited Cryptic Studios to talk to the team. In this week's Captain's Log entry, which is also the final entry in this series, she writes about her interview with Environment Artist Nick "Tacofangs" Duguid, UI Artist Thomas "TheCrypticCat" Marrone, and Ship Artist Ian "JamJamz" Richards.

Link to the column.
Did she come back again to do more interviews or do you need to quit stating that she recently visited. If were getting 2 month old interviews now I think thats something we should know. Information without context is near worthless.
Career Officer
# 7
09-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Ugh, no aspect of this game is worth eight Blogs...

Let alone a trip to Cryptic, that's like, two at most...
Career Officer
# 8
09-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalani2 View Post
Did she come back again to do more interviews or do you need to quit stating that she recently visited. If were getting 2 month old interviews now I think thats something we should know. Information without context is near worthless.
It's clear that you didn't read the column. In it I clearly state this is the final interview in my series from the interviews I took in July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picard99 View Post
Terilynn Shull lives at cryptic How many of these are there?
That was the last one - 8. I have a word limit in my columns. Approximately 10 minutes of conversation turn into about 1000 words. I only got about 80 minutes of my 5+ hours of audio converted into columns. I could have gone on, but like many of you can see, the information is now dated and I'm looking forward to seeing what is coming up for the new content later this year.

BTW all, never hesitate to send me tips or ideas for things to cover - terilynn@massively.com
Captain
# 9
09-20-2013, 12:53 AM
I read the article about the interview but do not see the interview transcriptions so I could read the questions and answers. If it is supposed to be an interview then it needs the transcriptions otherwise it is an article.
"I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
09-20-2013, 06:40 PM
I was wondering how long you were going to milk these, Terilynn.
=\/= ================================ =\/=
Centurion maximus92
12th Legion, Romulan Republic
12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=