Captain
can the terms
"common",
"uncommon",
"rare" and
"very vare",
be replaced with something less "gamey"?

LIKE;
"standard",
"modified",
"upgraded" and
"experimental"

besides sounding less cookie cutter rpg, it would be much more "star trek".
If you like the RPG trinity, then you hate MMOs, you hate working, competitive fair PvP, you hate balanced engaging solo content,
and,
you hate PvE "adventure zones". because the trinity is incompatible with any of these.
Career Officer
# 2
07-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skollulfr View Post
can the terms
"common",
"uncommon",
"rare" and
"very vare",
be replaced with something less "gamey"?

LIKE;
"standard",
"modified",
"upgraded" and
"experimental"

besides sounding less cookie cutter rpg, it would be much more "star trek".
As it would be a simple text change I support this.

Although very rare = enhanced and ultra rare = customized to avoid confusion with things like the Experimental Romulan Plasma Beam Array.
Captain
# 3
07-02-2013, 02:11 PM
yea, "enhanced" does sound more like when the trek writers would use that simply "upgraded" i guess.

though if doing this, changing the rom beam to "prototype" would be a good idea.
also make more sence since "prototype" infers that its very limited in number more than "experimental".
If you like the RPG trinity, then you hate MMOs, you hate working, competitive fair PvP, you hate balanced engaging solo content,
and,
you hate PvE "adventure zones". because the trinity is incompatible with any of these.
Career Officer
# 4
07-04-2013, 05:18 PM
This is probably the best suggestion I've seen on the forums in a while. I like it. Hope you get more support on this OP.
Ensign
# 5
07-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Agreed!

I'm new and just checking things out (although I did spend some time in the beta way back when...), and all the OOC stuff is a "turn-off".

Way too much OOC stuff in the game and interface.

Also, many NPC's talk in "gamey" terms, like "You have to be level 10 to do this".

Instead of an NPC telling to came back when I'm "level 10" it could instead tell me to come back when I'm a Lieutenant Commander (or whatever).

STO reminds me constantly that "I am playing a game". Very un-immersive!

If PW feels this is needed, then how about an Options toggle to change the "default" OOC stuff to "RPG mode".

Something would be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-05-2013, 02:38 PM
I fully support this idea. Since this is a text change only, it should be fairly easy to implement.

This is a simple but effective way, I think, to increase immersion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This signature is false.
Lieutenant
# 7
07-06-2013, 06:26 AM
I'm on-board with this =) STO could be a much more unique game if the Devs weren't stuck on MMO terminology.