Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Ensign
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
# 11
07-02-2013, 08:35 AM
As a lvl 15 newb, this question is a strange one. I assume this is not the case, but the question gives me a lovely feeling that that I would not be welcomed in PVP if I am not good enough. We all have to learn at some point and we are all newbs at some point as well.

From my brief 3 days of experience, there is a lot to learn! Only just finding things out like Duty officers for instance.. For example I can upgrade my duty officers and gain XP. Thus I might level to 50 quickly. This means I may have a high lvl character, but my gear would be terrible and I still would have no other experience other than knowing how to upgrade duty officers! (Which I have yet to do!).

So I would say its all about experience and skill and has nothing to do with level.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,307
# 12
07-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod042 View Post
As a lvl 15 newb, this question is a strange one. I assume this is not the case, but the question gives me a lovely feeling that that I would not be welcomed in PVP if I am not good enough. We all have to learn at some point and we are all newbs at some point as well.

From my brief 3 days of experience, there is a lot to learn! Only just finding things out like Duty officers for instance.. For example I can upgrade my duty officers and gain XP. Thus I might level to 50 quickly. This means I may have a high lvl character, but my gear would be terrible and I still would have no other experience other than knowing how to upgrade duty officers! (Which I have yet to do!).

So I would say its all about experience and skill and has nothing to do with level.
actually, this is one of the friendliest communities i have seen, most people are very wiling to help if you ask. This guy just likes stirring up trouble.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 484
# 13
07-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmari View Post
Please answer the following, Please be serious as i am data-mining from the pvp
population to correct future suggestions for revisions to the game. Your opinion
is important! so please take it seriously!


At what level, do you think new players should differ from veterens?

At what % Do you think the new players should be out dps'd,healed, or tanked by a vet? (like scores at the end of the game etc) Please provide figures. (100kvs 2.5m as example)

Do you think that limited knowledge of pvp should allow the player to be able to do pvp at all? Or do you think its required to read/study to do it?
I think fighting somebody better then urself is the only method of improvement. But perpahs a Tutorial Zone (part of a PvP Rep system) could help some players feel they are making progress?

I encourage a PvP reputation, as even if it offers no real rewards. Maybe it could offer unique costumes for ship or anything to entice players to stick with it.
Ensign
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
# 14
07-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmaster101 View Post
actually, this is one of the friendliest communities i have seen, most people are very wiling to help if you ask. This guy just likes stirring up trouble.

Good to know! I am newly obsessed with STO and like what I have seen so far!

I completely agree with the idea of learning by defeat.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14,463
# 15
07-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegie0 View Post
I think fighting somebody better then urself is the only method of improvement.
It's pretty much universal to anything and everything. You have to be challenged/tested, you overcome, you improve during the process and move on to the next challenge/test.

Otherwise, best case scenario - you may be able to maintain. The more likely scenario is to wither or atrophy. You're either getting better or worse, no matter how slightly...
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,766
# 16
07-02-2013, 10:55 AM
When learning at the PvP school of hard knocks, do not forget to ask your fellow players after a match for tips.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 486
# 17
07-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmari View Post
At what % Do you think the new players should be out dps'd,healed, or tanked by a vet? (like scores at the end of the game etc) Please provide figures. (100kvs 2.5m as example)
Scores and endboard statistics mean nothing.

You can have 3 Mil dmg on the board by AoE'ing and/or using Transphasic builds etc and barely kill anything (Gimping dmg on the board, or do 750K/1M dmg and destroyed all enemies single handedly.

Whats more efficient, taking someone down with 60K on the board or with 200K?

So from that aspect its rather irrelevant.


Not being ignorant is a big step into the process Ask nicely and you will be replied to nicely, and informatively I think, call hax/cheat/OP/QQ/ForumPvP and you're doomed before you started your pvp career.

Last edited by masterkeychnk5; 07-02-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 616
# 18
07-02-2013, 11:33 AM
My sci transphasic build nearly always has had the highest damage in a PvP.
Shame I die so much with him lol.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,289
# 19
07-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Can you please spend less time "data mining" and more time reading the forums and working on your builds instead? I see you post complaining on forums a lot so targeted you first when I saw you and you pop pretty easily. You might be able to give better opionions on how to improve pvp if you improve your own builds first then can base your opions on balance after using decent builds.
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,158
# 20
07-02-2013, 11:45 AM
What do I think? Well, I think that in a truly deep and engaging game, veteran players should be as gods, untouchable by mere noobs, possessing deep knowledge and experience that makes them so. Otherwise the game is shallow and unengaging, as you quickly hit a cap and realize there's no real way you can improve. The depth of a game is, after all, defined as the separation between the worst and the best. A completely shallow game, such as "flip a coin to see who wins", has absolutely no depth at all, and is thus completely pointless to play.

Also, you need to stop trying to "improve" a game that you don't actually understand and don't actually have the authority to alter, anyway.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:16 AM.