Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Captain
I had gotten pretty good at surviving Alphas from decloaking BOP's and killing them before they could cloak and run.
Now they are using a new trick and was wondering if someone could let me know how they are doing it.
Right before they decloak or as they decloak they are hitting with something that is knocking all systems off-line.
Its not sending my Boff abilities into cooldown, it is making all the skills go dark for about 5 seconds so there is no possible way to defend or activate any ability.
And I had this attack comming from a Tac captian in a KDF BOP so its not a subnuke.
Is it VM? my ship is not turning purple.
There is a crashing/thunder noise before it hits, then all Boff stations go dark and the icons for Boff abilities disappear.
I dont know if this is something new that came with the new Doffs or some Nukera T5 reputation ability or what.
More than a little frustrating when you can no longer defend yourself from the decloaking alpha. Before you would hear the sound of the alpha buffing up and had time to hit TT, and TSS or TT and EPTS and evasive and move out of the way. There were a number of thing to do to avoid getting one-shotted. Now you are dead in the water with no ability to do anything, Just a sitting duck. If anyone know what this ability is let me know. But I'm not sure what can be done about it to avoid it if you cant activate any ability at all, not even batteries
Republic Veteran
# 2
07-02-2013, 05:45 AM
It sounds like the photonic shockwave combo. Followed up with a BO and a quantum salvo it is devastating.
# 3
07-02-2013, 05:51 AM
I have seen that one before and it never took all systems offline before, I need to look and see if the new Doffs are adding something to Photonic shockwave perhaps.
Empire Veteran
# 4
07-02-2013, 05:57 AM
The PSW-BO3-HY BoP build is a specialized build that can be devastating in the hands of an experienced player.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Rihannsu
# 5
07-02-2013, 06:08 AM
sounds like heavy graviton beam or smthing, that is the only ability that disables everything but shields at once, if your subsystems are disabled instead of your ship, it's HGB, aka maco 3 piece set, but if its just disabling everything aka STUN, it might be magnetometric overload or photonic shockwave

edit: thnder voice might mean photonic shockwave, maybe you got hit by minimax or somebody else
Say the word, it saves the world.
CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
Captain
# 6
07-02-2013, 06:18 AM
After some research it looks like if you have 6 skill levels of Subspace decompiler with Photonic shockwave 3 the Photonic shockwave can disable all systems and can increase the disable affects upto 3.8 seconds. Really doesn't seem right that there is no defence or way to clean it off. And that can disable every time. I can see a "chance to disable" but %100 success to disable is over the top.
Rihannsu
# 7
07-02-2013, 06:26 AM
You can remove it with engineering team and you can become immune to it with a2d, apo, gamma patterns, you can also put 3 points in inertial dampeners to reduce the stun to 1 second
Say the word, it saves the world.
CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
Captain
# 8
07-02-2013, 06:43 AM
There's been no change to it since LoR - it's just that you might have encountered this for the first time. No new doffs were introduced. It's an extremely rare build that requires very, very good timing to pull off, and requires a boff layout that renders the BoP even more ineffective than usual in a straight-up fight. Not to mention if the BoP is caught, it's even more likely to be dead than usual.

Also, the spec tradeoff - 6 points into a max level Sci skill - is quite a big one. Your counter is basically APO and Aux to Dampeners, as stated below, and having a small spec into Inertial Dampeners, which cuts the stuntime immensely.
Take it easy!

Ishmael@scurry5: A Nibbling Sci
"Squeak?"
Career Officer
# 9
07-02-2013, 07:32 AM
a2d is great and will make you somewhat immune to this attack, but... inertia dampeners is the way to go, even at a high cost. the reason i say, is that being a specialized build, it takes some degree of experience to pull off that kind of alpha. the attacker usually watches your buffs carefully and times the alpha between your resist up-times. same will be true with a2d.

spec'ing 6 there i rarely see my dash go dark, if it does it's only for less than a second. it is also helpful with other hold- repel related buffs, and i may be mistaken but i believe i read somewhere it even has an effect on the duration of viral... seemed weird that it would, but i'm sure i read it

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Star...tial_Dampeners

yup, there it is... it's on the internet so it must be true, right?.....right? hehe

good luck and have fun!!
Ensign
# 10
07-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Please report this exploiters/abusers to the game authorities immediately.