Captain
# 21
07-14-2013, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku5030 View Post
ummm I crit on mine just fine I do a lot of damage just fine on mine maybe you have yours not set up right...
Cool story bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainobvious09 View Post
Last time I checked, universal consoles fit in tac slots. and there are two Scimitar versions with only 3 tac slots, that being said, once again, the Scimitar is bugged to hell and back, they blow up anytime they get close to any kinetic damage, I would not buy one for at least 6 months, then you might have a chance of Cryptic fixing it.

D'D is the only reasonable choice.
Nobody in their right mind is going to put non-tactical consoles in tac slots. Tac consoles are the most valuable consoles in the game. Likewise, nobody in their right mind is going to use a 3 tac console version of the Scimitar. That would defy the "MOAR DAMAGE" doctrine that rules this game.

Last edited by emacsheadroom; 07-14-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacsheadroom View Post
Cool story bro.

Nobody in their right mind is going to put non-tactical consoles in tac slots. Tac consoles are the most valuable consoles in the game. Likewise, nobody in their right mind is going to use a 3 tac console version of the Scimitar. That would defy the "MOAR DAMAGE" doctrine that rules this game.
Don't be too sure of yourself on that one. The way Tactical consoles work, stacking them only bumps "Overall" damage slightly. Giving up 1600 dps may sound like a lot, but when your already pulling 12k sustained and you really want that special console on your ship losing one tac console is not insane.

I, for one, will take accuracy, over a small damage boost, and I did.
Commander
# 23
07-21-2013, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouroboros99 View Post
When you fly around in your D'deridex you'll be constantly reminded of some of the best Star Trek that was ever produced.

When they fly around in their Scimitars they'll be constantly reminded of that terrible, terrible movie.
Absolutely.

In fact I wish they'd make tac and sci variants of the D'deridex.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-21-2013, 07:50 AM
You're comparing The Tac Dreadnought to a Cruiser. You're better off comparing to the Falchion, which is the most direct comparism(Engineering vs Engineering).

D'Deridex has more base hull(Even the 'baseline' Z-store version has more, though only by 500 points).
Deridex has exactly the same console layout at 3 Tac/4 Eng/3 Sci.
Weapon layout means...little. 4/4 vs 5/3 doesn't mean much given both should be beam-boats as is.
Deridex has 5.5 turn rate vs 7. That's a win for the Falchion. Interestingly, both the 2-sets of the Z-Store Deridexes and the Scimitars do the exact same thing:+2 Turn rate.
Shield modifier is 1.1, same as the Falchion.
The Falchion has a Hanger, which grants various damage, stealing(If KDF) and healing benefits. This is a major advantage unmatchable by the Deridex.
Both have 4 device slots.
Consoles-The Deridex has(Presuming the 'baseline') an 8-meter range 'torpedo' with an AOE. The Falchion has 17884 or so absorption bubble. I can't judge this.

Deridex's Bridge Layout is Level 3 Tactical, Level 1 Tactical, Level 4 Engineering, Level 3 Science, Level 1 Universal.
Falchion's Bridge Layout is Level 4 Tactical, Level 2 Engineering, Level 2 Science, Level 3 Universal, Level 1 Universal.

Both can be regarded as solid Officer layouts. I can't imagine the Falchion's Lv3 Universal used for anything but Engineering(But that's probably bias). The Deridex has enough space for the majority of things. Probably add Tactical Team. Both can fit Attack Pattern Omega naturally, which can be regarded as the most important thing. Of course, the Falchion can run two copies, increasing uptime.

Last edited by seitei1; 07-21-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Ensign
# 25
07-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnoukh View Post
Absolutely.

In fact I wish they'd make tac and sci variants of the D'deridex.
they should really look into that, there's a sizeable minority who really want a viable beam broadsiding variant, ok technically the tal shiar adapted battle cruiser can fulfil that (sort of) but even with that its just not worth it for rom captains (no battlecloak, singularity)
Captain
# 26
07-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritor1 View Post
they should really look into that, there's a sizeable minority who really want a viable beam broadsiding variant, ok technically the tal shiar adapted battle cruiser can fulfil that (sort of) but even with that its just not worth it for rom captains (no battlecloak, singularity)
All current versions of the D'Deridex ships, including the standard Commander level one, are already suitable beam broadsiding ships. Hell, that playstyle is the FIRST immediately viable combat style one can come up with considering the slow turn rate.

Player: "Let's see, this thing turns slow. Not sure how to make that better, so I figure DHCs maybe out of the question. Too narrow of arcs. What to do... I know!!!! Wider fire arc weapons! BEAM ARRAYS!!!"

And there are things that can be done to make the handling better, which have been repeated on these forums for those that want to learn how to handle slower turning ships in this game. Regardless, even without the turn rate assistance, the T5 D'Deridex can be a stout broadsiding ship, that happens to be one of those rare ships that are proficient in all 3 departments: TAC, ENG, and SCI.
Captain
# 27
07-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Quote:
...Uh...
Quote:
You can't use a crit damage build on the Scimitar due to most of your consoles taken up by tactical. Fleet D'deridex can fit assimilated console, zero point energy conduit, tachyokinetic converter, plasmonic leech, a rack of three Romulan plasma damage sci consoles to boost flow caps and three plasma infusers. My crit chance is 20% on my Fleet D'deridex, and I can still tank. Trade that for the Scimitar? I think not.

There are of course many ways the fleet D'dex can be flown, the above example is just one of them and it's not even optimal. I'd rather have options than mere balls-to-the-wall damage.
So which is it? Is a critical-based build with options or a ship overstuffed with Tactical consoles preferable? You need to build for the former if you're going for DPS on a ship without 5 Tac consoles, but on ships with 5 Tac consoles, you have the freedom to choose to build that way.
Please stop exponential holding/reputation costs!
Captain
# 28
07-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoknight89 View Post
...Uh...

So which is it? Is a critical-based build with options or a ship overstuffed with Tactical consoles preferable? You need to build for the former if you're going for DPS on a ship without 5 Tac consoles, but on ships with 5 Tac consoles, you have the freedom to choose to build that way.
You can get pretty decent crit chance and crit damage just by stacking BOffs with Operative with just the BOffs you're forced to take, and if you're careful leveling or willing to spend a bunch on the Exchange you can have several with Superior Operative which puts the crits even higher. Plus, if you're Romulan (instead of Reman or AlienGen) you can take Operative Trait for yourself to stack more on top of that. IMO, it negates the need for crit boosting consoles quite a bit.
Career Officer
# 29
07-22-2013, 05:50 AM
From my standpoint, my fleet DD outstrips my Scim hands down. Now, of course this is on my Engie Officer flying the ship as a fully spec-ed and dedicated tank. I know, not really needed, but that said, my DD does not turn bad at all and can take a hell of a pounding in the Elite STFs with no real worry of getting popped. Not so in my Scim with the same build. Just too squishy.
VA Janin Delwynn - Fed Tac Officer
VA Dion - Romulan Engineer Officer
VA Zophie Delwynn - Fed Science Officer
Survivor of Remus
# 30
07-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Scimitar is not meant to be a tank by any means.

Honestly the D'D isn't really meant to straight tank like a Fed or KDF ship either, but it does a damn good job of it anyway and has a very solid boff layout (It even gets one more LtC power than normal, which is a big deal and normally reserved for big carriers or BOPs) for tanking.

I've played the scimitar as a tac machine since the morning they were released, with only a single HE1 for heals and no survivability powers beyond the secondary shielding and singularity powers (which, for the record, are wonderful for not getting popped).

I've never noticed this bug that everyone talks about about it dying easy. This could be a problem with one of the other (Falchion, Tulwar) versions perhaps, or it really could be people don't know how to fly it. The devs have said they have had no luck reproducing any bug that makes you more killable either.