Lt. Commander
# 1 STO killied my graphics card
01-23-2010, 01:39 AM
It really did

You want to know whats even more absurd than that

i fixed it by doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVWDr...eature=related

emergency power to the bake

In all seriousness, shame on you cryptic, it isent good that you are so shady and secretive about important issues just because they might be bad rep, it doesnt give you the right to keep us in the dark for COMPUTER KILLING opimization hazards
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-23-2010, 01:45 AM
Yeah,...there is a bug that will heat some video cards.

Quoted from another forum.....
"If you havent manually set your FPS with /maxfps command; then you are redlining your card without even knowing it. Apparently STO has a huge bug where it sets your GPU to try and attempt an infinite framerate which bottoms it out. Even if you arent running hot you are still doing damage since its redlined. To fix this serious problem log into the game and type /maxfps if it comes up 0.000000 then you have been running redline for days most likely. Just type /maxfps(space)# between 30-60 for fps. Then type just /maxfps to make sure it took.

The /showfps command may still show zero but thats bugged so dont pay attention to it. After you set your maxfps you should notice markably increased performance, less heat if you were running crazy hot like me, and the ability to set more stuff to max if you were unable to before.

LAST TIP VERY IMPORTANT. Dont forget that every time you log in you must set your fps again or it will go back to 0.00000."
--------------------------

The baking trick works, just as it works with old xbox360's. The thermal paste used in mass production is usually cheap, and if it gets hot enough will become thin and run a little, losing contact between the heatsink and GPU. By baking it, you thin it again and hope it 'reconnects'.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-23-2010, 01:47 AM
crazy.. might be time to pull out some old parts and turn the oven on lol
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-23-2010, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWAR View Post
Yeah,...there is a bug that will heat some video cards.

Quoted from another forum.....
"If you havent manually set your FPS with /maxfps command; then you are redlining your card without even knowing it. Apparently STO has a huge bug where it sets your GPU to try and attempt an infinite framerate which bottoms it out. Even if you arent running hot you are still doing damage since its redlined. To fix this serious problem log into the game and type /maxfps if it comes up 0.000000 then you have been running redline for days most likely. Just type /maxfps(space)# between 30-60 for fps. Then type just /maxfps to make sure it took.

The /showfps command may still show zero but thats bugged so dont pay attention to it. After you set your maxfps you should notice markably increased performance, less heat if you were running crazy hot like me, and the ability to set more stuff to max if you were unable to before.

LAST TIP VERY IMPORTANT. Dont forget that every time you log in you must set your fps again or it will go back to 0.00000."
--------------------------

The baking trick works, just as it works with old xbox360's. The thermal paste used in mass production is usually cheap, and if it gets hot enough will become thin and run a little, losing contact between the heatsink and GPU. By baking it, you thin it again and hope it 'reconnects'.
This is possibly the most informative reply Ive read to date in these boards.

scared, and logging in to check this, thanksfor the heads up
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-23-2010, 01:54 AM
I didnt have the problem thankfully, so I cant check,...but it may have been fixed in that last big patch, although I dont recall seeing a listing for it. But that was a long patch notes, so I may have missed it.

A good indication is if you video card has a self adjusting fan,...and it kicks into high gear and never slows down..................
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-23-2010, 01:56 AM
I checked /maxfps it was 0.000... set it to /maxfps 55
now the check tells me 55.000...

I'm only testing it on my bridge right now, and it may be my imagination, but it seems so much better, hasnt stuttered on a turn or clipped at all.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-23-2010, 02:02 AM
So it is still a bug. Man they better fix that before release........................

Remember you have to do it every time you log in,...it resets back to 0
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-23-2010, 02:04 AM
Can we get a dev responce on this will it be fixed, i checked mine too it was reading 0.000 and ive been experiencing crashes on ground combat.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-23-2010, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWAR View Post
So it is still a bug. Man they better fix that before release........................

Remember oyu have to do it every time you log in,...it resets back to 0
Might be, I just sprinted through Earth Dock for a couple minutes, only stuttered mildly twice. I didnt see mention of it on the patch notes.

cheers for the info, Im going to set it anyway, even if the patch has fixed it and it's all in my head, better safe than sorry

owe you a pint
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-23-2010, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMan View Post
This is a pretty serious claim. I'd like to see an official response please.
Yeah lotro killed my old card one i have now is new, really cant afford burning out another.
Some official feedback is important here.