Lt. Commander
# 11
01-23-2010, 02:12 AM
This is a pretty serious claim. I'd like to see an official response please.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-23-2010, 02:15 AM
I would like some Dev clarification on this matter.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-23-2010, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMan View Post
This is a pretty serious claim. I'd like to see an official response please.
Yeah, I'm never one to tout the 'we need a dev response now' line.

But this is one of the few cases where it might be warranted. Either to put minds at ease or get the officla word out on the hotfix
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-23-2010, 02:19 AM
I would like to see something from the devs on this as well
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-23-2010, 02:24 AM
Not to promote bumpage, but we might need to keep this seen for a bit if we want to give them an honest chance to respond. I'm not sure how strongly they mod the boards at this time (PST/EST I think they work in this zone) on a friday night.

Plus they will have to contact the devs themselves and get an official word.

so lets keep the request up, but the fervor down if we can, it might take longer than we'd like (which is immediately lol)
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-23-2010, 02:27 AM
Closest thing I have saw in the tech forums.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=74980

So people are noticing the overheating issue.........................
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-23-2010, 02:32 AM
Man reading through that post I linked to completely,.....its possile the overheatig issue isnt just videocard related, but CPU also,....maybe not,...maybe some people dont have their computer cooled right,...I dont know though,...some of the posts would indicate otherwise if they are completely truthful.......
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-23-2010, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWAR View Post
Man reading through that post I linked to completely,.....its possile the overheatig issue isnt just videocard related, but CPU also,....maybe not,...maybe some people dont have their computer cooled right,...I dont know though,...some of the posts would indicate otherwise if they are completely truthful.......
either way I don't really need my baby to run higher than 55 fps, I'll just play it safe in case, good info to know how to set the max anyway

I saw the list of chat commands someone posted the other day but didnt pay attention to all the background stuff
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-23-2010, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWAR View Post
Yeah,...there is a bug that will heat some video cards.

Quoted from another forum.....
"If you havent manually set your FPS with /maxfps command; then you are redlining your card without even knowing it. Apparently STO has a huge bug where it sets your GPU to try and attempt an infinite framerate which bottoms it out. Even if you arent running hot you are still doing damage since its redlined. To fix this serious problem log into the game and type /maxfps if it comes up 0.000000 then you have been running redline for days most likely. Just type /maxfps(space)# between 30-60 for fps. Then type just /maxfps to make sure it took.

The /showfps command may still show zero but thats bugged so dont pay attention to it. After you set your maxfps you should notice markably increased performance, less heat if you were running crazy hot like me, and the ability to set more stuff to max if you were unable to before.

LAST TIP VERY IMPORTANT. Dont forget that every time you log in you must set your fps again or it will go back to 0.00000."
--------------------------

The baking trick works, just as it works with old xbox360's. The thermal paste used in mass production is usually cheap, and if it gets hot enough will become thin and run a little, losing contact between the heatsink and GPU. By baking it, you thin it again and hope it 'reconnects'.
You can use the Launcher for that. Klick on Options and in Advanced command line field you input -maxfps # and your done for every login.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-23-2010, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudan View Post
You can use the Launcher for that. Klick on Options and in Advanced command line field you input -maxfps # and your done for every login.
Nice to know,...thank you very much.