# 11
01-23-2010, 07:38 AM
usually works for me but not today!!
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmolar View Post
Reboot your router after disconnecting/reconnecting your broadband line.

Make sure you are NOT going through a proxy and you should find it runs and patches perfectly.

Note to self: Any future problems after patches, reboot router and bb line!

This indeed has solved my problem of patching, and i would like to thank you for your help.

however its still a sad thing when you have to reboot your router due to a patch update.

And for those where this didnt solve the issue , you have my sympaphy and hope the issue is resolved asap.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-23-2010, 09:31 AM
I am with BT and I can confirm that rebooting my router (turning it off for 10 seconds) has solved the bug of the launcher not patching.

Can I also add that I am using a netgear router not the home-hub given by BT.

win 7 pro x64, 4 GB ram, 2.4 GHz quad core, GTX260 Black Edition.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Ok guys, are you serious?

There is an order in the way the network should be established. Every single time you reset your broadband tuner, you need to remove the power from the router first. After the tuner has sync'd, THEN you can resupply the router's power and wait until it finishes it's internal diagnostic. Then your system will begin the process of getting DNS before your connection can be completed. There is a lot of other junk that goes one but you only need to know the major steps that need to take place.

This makes me wonder. If how to reset your ethernet broadband connection isn't all that well known (and I'm sorry but it has to be one of the all time most basic things ever for home networking) how many other people just need to learn how to properly establish their connection? Maybe that is causing some issues for them.

Regardless, Cryptics server is still junk right now.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-23-2010, 10:37 AM
I use BT broadband and it's fine.

I don't use that awful router thing they give you, that gave me all kinds of problems with many many games, I use an off the shelf netgear router.

oh yeh and when I reboot my router I just switch it off and on again
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulda View Post

There is an order in the way the network should be established. Every single time you reset your broadband tuner, you need to remove the power from the router first. After the tuner has sync'd, THEN you can resupply the router's power and wait until it finishes it's internal diagnostic. Then your system will begin the process of getting DNS before your connection can be completed. There is a lot of other junk that goes one but you only need to know the major steps that need to take place.

This makes me wonder. If how to reset your ethernet broadband connection isn't all that well known (and I'm sorry but it has to be one of the all time most basic things ever for home networking) how many other people just need to learn how to properly establish their connection? Maybe that is causing some issues for them.

That doesn't apply here as the router and adsl is all built into one BT box called the "homehub".
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulda View Post

actually, while the "recommended" order to restart the networking gear is as you stated, a lot of networking gear in home use is not really effected by the order, you can reset everything in just about any order you want, and so long as they are not trying to all draw the same IP you will come out fine (likewise so long as they are reset sequencially instead of the same exact time). this is generally due to the fact the gear just needs a restart in general on occasion.

even the most untrained computer user knows that restarting the PC can possibly fix a problem, they rarely ever think about their router or modem, and thus never ever restart them. they are, however, little computers too and occassionally just need to restart and cycle back through the start up routines they have built in.