Empire Veteran
# 11
07-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aetherscapist View Post

Geez, didn't I just say in my post that I acknowledge that? That was also like I said, roughly a century before TNG, and a quarter of a century more by STO time.

Yeah, on second reading you did. I must not have read the last paragraph of your post - which completely negates everything prior.
Empire Veteran
# 12
07-12-2013, 11:49 AM
In WoK, Kirk uses glasses because he is allergic to 'Retinax'.

It isn't clear that everyone in 2409 would have perfect vision:
- Some people never get genetic fixes? Say, on a remote colony?
- Some people are allergic to other treatments?
- Some people just want to wear glasses as an affectation?
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Rihannsu
# 13
07-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Kirk's glasses are from an antique store who acquired them from Kirk when he went back to 1986, and thus are not only rare antiques but temporal paradoxes.
Lieutenant
# 14
07-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aetherscapist View Post
There is a reason there are no glasses options so far in STO; have you really every seen anyone wearing glasses in the Star Trek universe? I'll eager the answer is no, and they even cover an explanation for that in a few episodes. People simply aren't born with weak eyes anymore, and thus no need for glasses. A little but of tampering while in the womb, and people will never develop weak eyes. On the rate occasions people are born with our develop weak eyes, there are treatments such as a more modern type of Retinax,

Before anyone brings it up, yes I am aware that in the Original Series movies, Kirk was established as wearing reading glasses, but that was around 125 years in the past for STO, and even in the relatively near future of Next Generation we never see anyone wearing glasses for any reason.
Actually, Kirk says he's allergic to Retinax.
[insert signature here]
Captain
# 15
07-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Sunglasses are not made to correct vision but to make bright light less bright. Are you saying in the 24th century our eyes can adjust to sunglare off a shiny object like welding goggles? Are you saying that people have advanced past having a sense of fashion?

Also consider when the TNG era shows were made contacts were what people with bad eyes and worried about looks wore, having glasses was not desireable. Anyone in TV or movies then that wore glasses was either an old person or the nerd in the show. while today wearing glasses is less of an issue because people wear them to make themselves look more inteligent and sophisticated. So there is nothing wrong with people wanting a character to have glasses for the same fashion reason people wear them today. If you have a problem with that then just imagine those glasses are a future version of google glass.