Originally Posted by skollulfr View Post
skorr would still be more interesting
http://www.oocities.org/tkee_skorr/page7.html

even if canon did have them in the fed during the tos era
seriously:
I like it.

joking:
I can picture it already
"This is Admiral Warbird of the Imperial Romulan Warbird, Warbird" (I have a Warbird named Warbird)
Captain
# 12
07-07-2013, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skollulfr View Post
skorr would still be more interesting
http://www.oocities.org/tkee_skorr/page7.html

even if canon did have them in the fed during the tos era
easy way around that. Give the Romulans the Skorr. Give the Federation the Aurelians. It sounds a bit like the TAS creators, in trying to save budget, felt the two species could be from the same ancestral race. Developers can use the same wireframes, etc., due to the two species strong similarities.
Captain
# 13
07-08-2013, 12:13 AM
A bird with arms? Please no, let it be scifi and not sci-fantasy.

Neither do I support a Romulan faction sided cat race. We also don't have sexy barely dressed females and crocs in all factions.
Captain
# 14
07-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fovrel View Post
A bird with arms? Please no, let it be scifi and not sci-fantasy.

Neither do I support a Romulan faction sided cat race. We also don't have sexy barely dressed females and crocs in all factions.
So birdmen are fantasy, but catmen are not? Odd.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Career Officer
# 15
07-08-2013, 02:09 AM
I feel like for player races, we really ought to keep it relatively simple. Unique heads like Gorn have or tails like Caitians is one thing, but when we start talking about a hunched bird-like species with huge wings and very bird-like arms and legs, you're suddenly talking about a lot of character art to do, not to mention making either all the old uniforms work or all new ones specifically for the species. Then there's animations, like attacks and running, and the possibility of a limited flight animation being necessary... It's a ludicrous amount of work for what will, I guarantee, be a poor-selling item with limited appeal.

I refer back to the Selay and Anticans. You get your furry/scalie fix while remaining canon and not requiring silly amounts of extra work. The only issues would come from helmets, since these races have odd heads.
Captain
# 16
07-08-2013, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
If there where a "like" button...

But I think I get what he/she is saying. Caitians don't actually change the feline build. They have arms and legs, but cats have them. A bird has wings instead of arms, so a bird with wings, arms and legs is a bit out of the "standard". But it's not that far fetched that an avian species that develops intelligence, and starts using tools could develop extra body members more suited for the task.
Captain
# 17
07-08-2013, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
No, not odd. Catmen evolved from cats just as apemen evolved from ... apes. If Birdmen evolved from birds they would have legs and wings, but how are they going to build the starship? The wings could have evolved into arms of course.

So birdmen have a beak, feathers and that is it. You can't have both wings and arms. The creature on the picture in this thread comes from a griphon and that is a fantasy creature. They are the odd one out here.

Now we can have a discussion if STO/Startrek is a scifi or a sci-Fantasy universe and I admit that I have no definite answer to that.
Captain
# 18
07-08-2013, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fovrel View Post
No, not odd. Catmen evolved from cats just as apemen evolved from ... apes. If Birdmen evolved from birds they would have legs and wings, but how are they going to build the starship? The wings could have evolved into arms of course.

So birdmen have a beak, feathers and that is it. You can't have both wings and arms. The creature on the picture in this thread comes from a griphon and that is a fantasy creature. They are the odd one out here.

Now we can have a discussion if STO/Startrek is a scifi or a sci-Fantasy universe and I admit that I have no definite answer to that.
Several insects have both legs (several) and wings. So, nature on Earth shows us that legs and wings aren't out of the picture. Now, I know insects are extremely different from birds, but fiction is fiction.

EDIT: Obviously at least a pair of legs had to mutate to arms
Republic Veteran
# 19
07-08-2013, 03:37 AM
Can we keep the anthropomorphic fetishes out of Romulan territory. It's bad enough the alien generator is permitted.

Any new inclusion of races should be the Suliban, they are the most logical extension of the Republic at the moment.
Empire Veteran
# 20
07-08-2013, 06:25 AM
I don't really care one way or another if they add a cat species for the Romulans.

But on the subject of the 'bird people', don't forget about the (extinct) Xindi Avians. So there can be at least, 'bird people'.