Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,143
# 31
07-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Any changes by now are unrealistic.

People were too busy penguin clapping their hands over being allowed to buy their ground sets they ignored all the problems.

And doubly ironic the ground sets, their outfits and their accolades remain bugged to this day...

I will eventually do the reputations on all my characters but cetainly not in any hurry to move sliders.

Just like I have an alt I will probably delete because he is so far behind and just mocking me sitting there. I actually have the resources for a top ship he could fly but he is at the buttom of the reputation system.
I could keep him on as a dil converter but I hate playing on him knowing I am missing all my gear that I already unlocked over half a year ago.

The re-grinding is just torture and I'd rather spend the time building.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,324
# 32
07-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by originpi View Post
The rep system provides post lvl cap advancement and encouragement for players to do different missions. It is a success in what it tries to do and a lot of people have fun with it.
The old system forced people to do various mission, as the only way to have a given item was to do a certain mission. IE MK XII ground weapon dropping on CGE, nowhere else. Now, everyone is farming ISE for Omega marks, Epohhs for Romulan marks, and CCE or ground Nukara boss during event for Nukara marks. I'm building a MKXII omega ground gear for my Romulan using space mission only. Once I got it, I'll do the accolades for ground mission to unlock to the costume, never to play them again.
Why should I do a long and somewhat difficult IGE for 100marks, when I can do an easy and fast ISE for the same amount of marks ?

There is a lot of good instance in STO, but most of them award so little, and you need to grind so hard, they are barely played. Atmospheric assault is awesome, for example, but the reward is BS. I'd want to do it, but honestly, I don't have time for it. My play time is dedicated to the grind it is to have some reputation gear. Especially if you don't have a big fleet and access to fleet store, and rely entirely on reputation items for endgame gear.

I won't even mention the normal ground mission, like the ones on New Romulus. You need to bring back 10 plants that randomly spawn around the map, for an astonishing 1 mark reward. No, it's not a typo or a joke, it's really 1 mark.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 138
# 33
07-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Perhaps due to age I am a little more patient than the average player. I am in no hurry to grind the rep system and generally do it as and when I feel like it for my 9 toons. Some of them will probably never get it, those that I use the most are gradually filling up. In the fleet we have so many other activities that it's a lot of fun to go run a couple of STFs, do a Nukara external, hand around shooting Borg on Defera or running story missions as a group in between messing around in Kerrat and arenas.

I think if you take a different approach, one of spreading the load over time, you'll find that it gets done fairly easily and faster than you would think, and all the time you won't begrudge the experience. I hear of people repping 14 toons one after the other and then complaining like hell about the grind. Well nobody is making them do it that way other than their own compulsion to have everything finished as soon as possible.

And when you get to the end of the rep system for all your toons, then what? Are you just going to wait for the next season? Take your time and enjoy it, if you don't feel like doing it then don't. go do something else for a while, then when you do go back and do a bit more it will be fun, which is what gaming is all about and why we are here after all.
This is what happens when you don't read and understand the issue properly and start writing wall of texts.

I am glad you are very patient but it has nothing do with it. It is about doing the same boring reputation tasks over and over again especially if you are one of those with 4 or more alts.

I am also very patient but expecting players to do rep grind on every single character is just borderline insanity.

Playing alts is one of the main strengths of this game and gives it a longevity but the current system discourages alts.

Like someone else mentioned Cryptic need to take look at legacy reputation system of SWTOR which is account bind and encourages players to play more and not less.

I personally know a lot of players in fleet who stopped playing alts and are logging in less and less everyday.Even i am logging less everyday..earlier i used to be very active with alts. Now i grind dili and log out.
SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1610s)
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,656
# 34
07-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaltoum View Post
This is what happens when you don't read and understand the issue properly and start writing wall of texts.
I understand the issue very well indeed, I just don't care to let it bother me. None of the reputation equipment or passives are necessary to play any of the content in STO. Unless you are min/maxing for PvP then it makes only a marginal difference overall in story missions. I have plenty of toons, 6 of them have zero rep, and it certainly doesn't stop any of them from PvPing and running STFs when I fancy a change of toon.

I hardly think that what I wrote corresponds to a wall of text either. If you can't understand or appreciate my advice or choose to ignore it that is your prerogative, I was simply trying to offer a possible alternative way of looking at the issue.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,143
# 35
07-08-2013, 12:57 PM
So you sort of agreeing with his point you won't be "enjoying" reputation on another 6 characters?

I am actually looking at the delete button of the last alt I will ever make right now still thinking about deleting him because I refuse to re-re-re-re-unlock the same old gear.
I got enough resources for a new ship for him but he is just too far behind...

If the reputation store was unlocked I'd be grinding on him and making more characters.

Now I don't know if they want us to stop making characters but that's certainly the impression you get.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 138
# 36
07-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
I understand the issue very well indeed, I just don't care to let it bother me. None of the reputation equipment or passives are necessary to play any of the content in STO. Unless you are min/maxing for PvP then it makes only a marginal difference overall in story missions. I have plenty of toons, 6 of them have zero rep, and it certainly doesn't stop any of them from PvPing and running STFs when I fancy a change of toon.

I hardly think that what I wrote corresponds to a wall of text either. If you can't understand or appreciate my advice or choose to ignore it that is your prerogative, I was simply trying to offer a possible alternative way of looking at the issue.
Nothing is necessary really. Even logging in game is not necessary but that is not the point. We are discussing about how to give more longevity to game by making it more alt friendly so that players have more reasons to play their alts beyond 50 not less.

I understood your point very well but your point had nothing to do with original topic in discussion. You made a strawman argument about being patient. If someone is doing all 3 rep grinds on one character, he is surely not impatient.
SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1610s)

Last edited by kaltoum; 07-08-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,365
# 37
07-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
The old system forced people to do various mission, as the only way to have a given item was to do a certain mission. IE MK XII ground weapon dropping on CGE, nowhere else. Now, everyone is farming ISE for Omega marks, Epohhs for Romulan marks, and CCE or ground Nukara boss during event for Nukara marks. I'm building a MKXII omega ground gear for my Romulan using space mission only. Once I got it, I'll do the accolades for ground mission to unlock to the costume, never to play them again.
Why should I do a long and somewhat difficult IGE for 100marks, when I can do an easy and fast ISE for the same amount of marks ?

There is a lot of good instance in STO, but most of them award so little, and you need to grind so hard, they are barely played. Atmospheric assault is awesome, for example, but the reward is BS. I'd want to do it, but honestly, I don't have time for it. My play time is dedicated to the grind it is to have some reputation gear. Especially if you don't have a big fleet and access to fleet store, and rely entirely on reputation items for endgame gear.

I won't even mention the normal ground mission, like the ones on New Romulus. You need to bring back 10 plants that randomly spawn around the map, for an astonishing 1 mark reward. No, it's not a typo or a joke, it's really 1 mark.
I'm with you on the laughable low amounts of Romulan and Nukara marks that we earn when compared to the amounts that we can get of Omega Marks for running STF's.

The one major complaint that I have about both the Romulan and Nukara rep systems is that neither of them have an STF system that can be used to amass large amounts of Marks quickly.

I on my 60 day old Romulan Character I already have something like 10000 Omega Marks but just about 200 of the Romulan and Nukara Marks.

If Cryptic is unwilling to create STF level missions to support the new Rep Systems that they add to STO then they should add the option to earn Romulan and Nukara marks to the existing STF that we have.

Perhaps changing the Optional Missions in our STF's to reward an optional Mark Box just like we get with the CE and Mind Trap that gives us the option to choose between Omega, Romulan or Nukara marks; get it, it ties in with the term Optional

Maybe at the very least add a mark converter so players like myself that have more Omega marks that we'll ever need can convert them to other Marks that we can barely get enough of.
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,802
# 38
07-08-2013, 02:20 PM
If anything, at least make Rep store items account bound. That way, you'd still need to grind out the rep if you want the passives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14
# 39
07-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Get a second game switch back and forth it helps break things up when you feel burnt. Better than getting burnt on the game as a whole. I rock some World of Tanks and Defiance with a little swtor mixed in. Everything is free to play so it doesn't matter these days how many you play. However Swtor really is only worth playing if you pay.
Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 486
# 40
07-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaker001b View Post
If you PVP, you need to if you want to be competitive and not get lol-face-steamrolled. Those rep abilities and gear make a big difference. If you had 2 PVPers who are of equal skill and mistakes are at a minimum, then gear and any character / ship benefits start playing an increasingly larger role. If you don't have decent equipment, and you don't have reputation buffs, then you will be increasingly at a disadvantage.

Without the high end rep stuff, you are missing out on some of the game's most sought after benefits and equipment. The STF sets that are so crucial to every build. The Romulan Rep stuff like Elite Scorpions and Hyper-Plasma Torps which rock in PVE (takes alot of care to make these work in PVP), and not to mention the Plasma weapons. The Romulan Rep placate, and all the other buffs from Omega & Romulan tiers. And I haven't even counted Nukara stuff.

There will be those that have these mastered to varying degrees. Some all 3. And if you do not take care to work up those rep tiers, again, you will be at a disadvantage.

This "entry level cost" for PVP is something that has been brought up a bit. New players, new PVPers are totally left behind.
This man is right, and PvP in this game will keep failing unless cryptic finally does somethinga bout it and makes it interesting for other people as well.

Why not want more competition then a dumb NPC? The problem is that with every patch or addition they add to this game the gap between newer players and older ones is increasing significantly.

At its current form, its already in critical condition. Add a few more reps and PvP is ruined beyond repair (For whatever this is not already true)

Adding rep's make no sense, it destroys PvP and apparently it adds very little to 99% of the PVE'ers in this game because from what I can see nobody likes grinding up for it. And it makes no sense either, because you can pretty much finish an STF solo'ing or 2 manning, or even 5 shuttles can do the job.

Its merely a bad implementation of content wheras they could invest their time in new featured episodes etc but you know... Cryptic.

Last edited by masterkeychnk5; 07-08-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 AM.