Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Closed Thread

Career Officer
Where is the Galaxy thread we were all discussing? If I try to look at it I get this:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=528931
Captain
# 2
07-08-2013, 02:30 AM
I noticed the thread's missing as well, though I still suspect a mistake/error. If it would've been a moderation issue I'm sure they wouldn't just "delete" the whole thread.
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Career Officer
# 3
07-08-2013, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Where is the Galaxy thread we were all discussing? If I try to look at it I get this:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=528931
I strongly suspect that a certain hypocrite member, with a predisposition toward calling anyone who dared disagree with him "Galaxy fanboys", has succeeded in his desire and the thread has therefore been removed.

Although, the member in question's hypocrisy notwithstanding, it didn't help that some members took the proverbial bait and indulged him; the end result being the removal of a one-hundred plus reply thread.

Seriously - he wasn't contributing anything that was relevant to the thread, and appears to have a history of such behaviour, so I simply ignored his ranting; if others had done the same we might still have a thread to discuss the Galaxy class and it's in-game viability.

Hopefully those who indulged him will learn from this, because whilst the thread may be gone, I doubt that the offending party is (unfortunately).

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY

Last edited by reyan01; 07-08-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Career Officer
# 4
07-08-2013, 02:43 AM
Well that's a real shame, and last night I looked and noticed it was over 2000 posts so I think that is 200 pages. There were some real insights in that thread and of course the usual trolls, but to have it removed with no warnings is somewhat unfair. I would ask a moderator to put the thread back if that is possible and just remove the offending comments, rather than just dismissing the many hundreds of hours of writing by hundreds of people in one fell swoop.
Career Officer
# 5
07-08-2013, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Well that's a real shame, and last night I looked and noticed it was over 2000 posts so I think that is 200 pages. There were some real insights in that thread and of course the usual trolls, but to have it removed with no warnings is somewhat unfair. I would ask a moderator to put the thread back if that is possible and just remove the offending comments, rather than just dismissing the many hundreds of hours of writing by hundreds of people in one fell swoop.
Whilst I agree, I'd imagine that weeding out the offending posts would be a long-winded and tiresome effort, with little end-gain, since the offending party would be liable to resume the activity that resulted in the thread's disappearance in the first place.

A pity though - as you say, some good discussion took place in that thread, some good points were made, and it's a real pity that it's all gone due to one person derailing the thread with self-opinionated ranting that bore VERY little relevance to the thread.

Survivor of Romulus
# 6
07-08-2013, 03:33 AM
Well, in a certain way I'm glad that mattjohnsonva, whom I consider to be one of the most level-headed posters here was the first to notice this.

As a paying customer to this game, I DEMAND an explanation by the moderators or BranFlakes here in this thread as to what happened to the old Galaxy thread.

Why is an explanation important? Because there was absolutely no reason to close a thread that was here for a long time, intended to discuss a certain ship's shortcommings.
The only reason I can think of from the top of my head is a certain person with the intention to troll the thread and get it closed. It's disheartening to have a 200+ pages thread full of remarkable ideas and suggestions closed because of a single person with clear issues.

I sincerely hope that this is not the issue at hand here because that would mean that the people in authority here are supporting behavior that breaks the TOS. Hence, I hope for an explanation for this.

----------------------------------------------
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Career Officer
# 7
07-08-2013, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
Well, in a certain way I'm glad that mattjohnsonva, whom I consider to be one of the most level-headed posters here was the first to notice this.

As a paying customer to this game, I DEMAND an explanation by the moderators or BranFlakes here in this thread as to what happened to the old Galaxy thread.

Why is an explanation important? Because there was absolutely no reason to close a thread that was here for a long time, intended to discuss a certain ship's shortcommings.
The only reason I can think of from the top of my head is a certain person with the intention to troll the thread and get it closed. It's disheartening to have a 200+ pages thread full of remarkable ideas and suggestions closed because of a single person with clear issues.

I sincerely hope that this is not the issue at hand here because that would mean that the people in authority here are supporting behavior that breaks the TOS. Hence, I hope for an explanation for this.
The reason you state is the only explaination really ,as I noted in one of my earlier posts. Nothing that we had discussed in the thread in question, which was relevant TO the thread, had prompted any undue moderation. The participation of the aforementioned forum member, who shall remain nameless, is the only explaination.

And I would like to see the thread resurrected too, because frankly, this feels a little too much like a victory for the person who clearly WANTED such an action to be taken. Whilst I acknoweldge that some posts, for lack of a better term, fed the troll, this really does feel like one of those scenarios where the whole class has been punnished because one pupil decided to pick a fight with another.

Captain
# 8
07-08-2013, 03:53 AM
If the flame posts in the thread were becoming a problem, they would've just closed the thread. I think they deleted the thread because they were tired of all the complaints about the Galaxy sucking and they're going to change it soon or they're just sick of the issue and refuse to budge on it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
07-08-2013, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
And I would like to see the thread resurrected too, because frankly, this feels a little too much like a victory for the person who clearly WANTED such an action to be taken. Whilst I acknoweldge that some posts, for lack of a better term, fed the troll, this really does feel like one of those scenarios where the whole class has been punnished because one pupil decided to pick a fight with another.
Nice way of saying it, that is exactly how I feel about this.
That's why I said that explanation from the people in a position of authority is needed here, to clear suspicions that most certailnly will appear (they already have appeared in fact), because if what we now suspect was the reason for deleting such a huge thread it means (at least to me) that the people in authority are in a certain way supporting behavior that violates the TOS.
That means that if I don't happen to like, let's say Borg ships in STO, I can just waltz in a thread about this and start ranting and insulting everyone there to get it closed instead of contributing to the discussion with my 'against' in a civilized manner.

If the thread was closed due to one person's clear devotion to get that done, breaking the TOS while doing it, the least I hope for is they also did permaban the said person from the forums. That I could understand and we can create a fresh Galaxy thread to discuss what was discussed in the old one without being trolled by that person. But if the the thread was closed and the person responsible for getting it closed was not banned - that would be alarming. That's why I want and explanation on this, for our sake and for the sake of the reputation of the people that are responsible for taking care of the STO forums.

----------------------------------------------
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!

Last edited by shpoks; 07-08-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-08-2013, 04:29 AM
I have a Fleet Galaxy, amazing ship... Set the shields to 100 and Aux to 50 and let the heal lulz begin... Great ship if you use it exactly how it's meant to be used... I mean, it's not an Excelsior, and it never will be... The Excelsior is just next level...
Closed Thread