Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
It is hard to report those bugs ingame because you can not attach screenshots to your bugreport, this is why i try to post them here.

I have an ATI Radeon HD4850 with the latest Catalyst and my OS is Win 7 64 Bit.

I still have heavy problems as soon as i go on a ground mission. Those graphic issues don't appear on EVERY groundmission but ~60% of them.
As soon as a battle begins those graphic issues appear (and the stottering!!!).

when i am out of combat and walk around on ground, there are no issues at all.
i have no clue why the screenshot function autohides the HUD because now you cant see the FPSGraph which is full of huge purple spikes .

and yes, i also enabled the troubleshooting option which should prevent this resulting in even more graphic issues.

Here are some examples:

http://img163.imageshack.us/g/screen...012120225.jpg/

Slideshow: http://img163.imageshack.us/slidesho...0012120225.jpg

the issues go from simple texture flickering over "invisible objects" up to "black walls" hiding everything behind it and i dont even want to talk about all the clipping errors and strange beam errors (last screenshot: enemy is dead, but the killing blow out of my rifle doesnt disapear until the corpse despawns)... but take a look at the screenshots.

if necessary i can try to get more shots.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-23-2010, 10:26 AM
I have the same problem. Its a common problem with anyone who has ATI. Although usually the game stutters then crashes for me. I have not been able to play extensivly since the last patch so I dont know if they fixed the stuttering issue.

How ever to fix it I went to the video options and dropped the slider to recommended and left it there. It does not look nearly as pretty as max does but it did stop the stuttering.

I hope they find a way to fix this as the game does run smoothly on max with a 4870x2 and I would rather not have gimped graphics when my card is capable of so much more.

This is the second cryptic game that has issues with ATI. I cancelled Champions because of its issues with ATI I really don't want to do that with STO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I had the same problem with a 5850. I found another post suggesting to turn off dynamic lighting in video settings and turn on vsync. I was having the exact same problems you describe and it was unplayable, but ground combat has been completly smooth since changing the settings. Must be a driver incompatibility at the moment because I think it is mainly happening with the latest ATI Radeon drivers. Hope this helps.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-23-2010, 10:28 AM
if u turn off dynamic lighting and turn on vsync u can leave all the rest of the settings maxed. Putting the slider to half way probably turns of dynamic lighting along with other things.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-24-2010, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunofVich View Post
I have the same problem. Its a common problem with anyone who has ATI. Although usually the game stutters then crashes for me. I have not been able to play extensivly since the last patch so I dont know if they fixed the stuttering issue.
no they did not fix the stuttering.
i had 3 crashes during ground combat, too, but they are gone now i reduced some of the settings and enabled under troubleshooting the "always fix driver stalls" option.
but with this option enabled, my overall framet is much lower AND i seem to have MUCH more graphic issues.

and it is also sad because it is a waste during space missions because those run very smooth and without problems (or graphic issues).
only the ground missions are affected by this, this is why i say it is a "bug" and not a problem with my computer...

EDIT:

and i am still convinced, that the stuttering is caused by one or both of the following two things:

1. bad AI code
2. bad battle sound/animation loading/streaming

the reason why i think this is the root of all evil is that as long as i do not enter combat with AI enemys AND AI BOs, the ground combat runs smooth and without graphic issues.

as soon as combat begins, the issues appear and the stuttering takes place (i guess the stuttering might cause the graphic issues...).

when i am on a ground fleet mission or pvp action without BOs and/or with Human enemys, those stutterings and graphic issues also DO NOT appear.

so it is quite obvious to me that is must be BO AI realted or something like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyrarr View Post
I had the same problem with a 5850. I found another post suggesting to turn off dynamic lighting in video settings and turn on vsync. I was having the exact same problems you describe and it was unplayable, but ground combat has been completly smooth since changing the settings. Must be a driver incompatibility at the moment because I think it is mainly happening with the latest ATI Radeon drivers. Hope this helps.
i will try that, thanks. but without dynamic lights, the game looks like... yeah you know ^^