Commander
# 111
07-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
As with all things in life: If it feels forced, don't force it... There's a difference between revision to make an idea consistent, and simply adding more material without progress... I had to edit LC45 to explain how Amanda could have been beamed off the bridge, when Brandon had already stated that the ship's transporters were down. I just needed to approach it from a different angle to achieve the same result in a consistent way... If a scene isn't quite working, maybe changing characters might help, as different characters behaviour differently, and the way one might address a situation, another will handle totally differently. Maybe even create a new character to do what you need to do... I created two new admirals (and did a logical conjecture of Xon) to oversea the board of inquiry, handled Admiral Tobin in a way I had never written her before (previously always as a younger woman who was rather aloof, but excellent at her job) as well as Channery, who may recur in the future as a nemesis/rival for Amanda... Maybe the scenes you have already need a bridging scene to get from A to C... I'm sure you'll get there
Good advice. I'll simply add something that might help as an aid.

Try to think of your story as it might look as an episode of the Series. Try to visualize how one action leads to another, and don't just look at it forwards. Sometimes if you have a result, but not how it came about, you trace backwards through each of the events you know had to happen for that outcome you want to be viable. Look at your story and see how it would play out on-screen, looking for ways you might criticize it if you were watching it ("Picard would never ask Worf that!"), and then work around each scene with different ways of doing the same thing to see if it can be made to fit.

Also, find some good instrumental music (soundtracks or anything that might sound like the story you want to tell) and put it on. See if you can match up what is happening in your story to points in the music, and then see if the rest of the music gives you any ideas about the missing parts of your story. You might not need a whole movie score, but just one piece of music that can serve as the 'theme' for your story, and thus provide clues for you to build on.

Finally, as said above, don't force the issue. If you've got a writer's block, set the project aside and go do something else. Rest up, and see if anything comes to you while you are busy elsewhere, and if it does, jot it down on a piece of paper for later. When you are ready to return to writing, see if the picture is clearer. Rome wasn't built in a day, and even stories that write themselves take time to crystalize.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Also, if you try everything you can to make the various scenes/events fit and they still don't seem to gel, consider that they might just not be compatable to be in the same entry, and set off one or the others for another chapter/entry/episode later on.
"I am your leader, I am in command. The fate of all my followers lies in my hands. The burden of what is right or wrong, decisions have to be made. I have to take you all into this burning Gate." - Iron Savior, 'Never Say Die'.

Last edited by danqueller; 07-19-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Captain
# 112
07-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
Whew!

Cast:

Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols
Gorn dancer - sidewalk extra 1
Rigilian dancer - sidewalk extra 2
Breen with shorts - sidewalk extra 3
Kisser 1 - sidewalk extra 4
Kisser 2 - sidewalk extra 5
Nice short bit.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Lt. Commander
# 113
07-19-2013, 12:45 PM
queller's stuff about writing is pretty much gold in that aspect.

Last edited by rextorvan36; 07-19-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Captain
# 114
07-20-2013, 02:24 PM
I've decided to write an interquel to LC46, which takes place between the penultimate and final paragraphs of LC45...

For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

Meliden Bowen - Eve Myles
Todd Mitchell - Thomas Dekker
Heath Fletcher - Simon Baker
Amanda Palmer - Courteney Cox
Adam Cornish - Johnny Galecki
Bellic Chanos - Vin Diesel
Selya Chirk - Angelina Jolie
Ramesh Kumar - Dev Patel
Brandon Mayer - Jason Lewis
T'Natra - Gal Gadot
Captain
# 115
07-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I've decided to write an interquel to LC46, which takes place between the penultimate and final paragraphs of LC45...

For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

Meliden Bowen - Eve Myles
Todd Mitchell - Thomas Dekker
Heath Fletcher - Simon Baker
Amanda Palmer - Courteney Cox
Adam Cornish - Johnny Galecki
Bellic Chanos - Vin Diesel
Selya Chirk - Angelina Jolie
Ramesh Kumar - Dev Patel
Brandon Mayer - Jason Lewis
T'Natra - Gal Gadot
ahem...."MORE!!!!(more, please)" thankyew.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Captain
# 116
07-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
ahem...."MORE!!!!(more, please)" thankyew.
Glad you liked it Not long now till the new LC
Captain
# 117
07-20-2013, 04:40 PM
I liked the interactions between the crew members in your new piece, Marcus. . And wow, I'd call that more than a misunderstanding. I wonder who that guy bribed to even stay in Starfleet?
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Captain
# 118
07-21-2013, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I liked the interactions between the crew members in your new piece, Marcus. . And wow, I'd call that more than a misunderstanding. I wonder who that guy bribed to even stay in Starfleet?
I'm glad you like it I figure the brass decided to let captain's reactions be enough to keep him among 'the walking dead' of ESD until he gets fed up enough to quit
Captain
# 119
07-21-2013, 05:48 AM
@ hfmudd: Really solid entry, a nice reminder of what Risa's all about
Captain
# 120
07-21-2013, 12:32 PM
@ vdiddy5000: Nice entry, welcome to the Literary Challenges