Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Captain
So comparing the MACO resilient shield array mk XII to Elite fleet shields, which of the two is better and why?

Dumb question, I know, but I am curious, since I've heard mixed reviews on mk XII Elite Fleet Shields.

My next question would be: Is it really worth it to get Elite Fleet Shields?

Thanks in advance to helpful answers, and *facepalm* in advance to flames.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
# 2
07-13-2013, 05:24 AM
And by mixed reviews on elite fleet shields you mean people either say they are good or over powered?

The adapted macro shields are the next best shields, plasmodic leach means that there isn't really any point to using macro resilient shields anymore.
12th Fleet Are recruiting Active PvP'ers.
We have Full T5 starbase, Teamspeak and over 200 active members.

Go to Recruitment room and beam up! You'll be glad you did.
Captain
# 3
07-13-2013, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magniacapra View Post
And by mixed reviews on elite fleet shields you mean people either say they are good or over powered?
By mixed reviews I mean some people say they're useful, others say they're not worth the cost, and a few say they're OP.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 4
07-13-2013, 06:09 AM
Well if you run the Elite fleet shields with some elite fleet engines you can make up for the loss of the MACO shield's power boost when shot at and what's more is that it is a permanent boost to power. Ultimately I think the choice you have to make with regard to the shields is:

Do you value resistance over set bonuses.
Republic Veteran
# 5
07-13-2013, 06:39 AM
It depends if you PVP or PVE.

If you like PVE then the MACO res shield has almost the same shield res to plasma as the elite fleet res B.

However, in general fights against non borg or other players, the fleet res B shield has more resistance. If you like the MACO shield power boost, just get a plasmonic leech console.

The MACO engine is lame, as it only gives a scaling bonus and in now way compares to the power boost given by either the MACO shield or the plasmonic leech console. You would be better off with a Breen, Borg, Jem, or Nukara engine as these give flat bonuses regardless of current power levels.

Also with regards to set bonuses, i find usually you can equal or beat the majority of them buy just combining good items from each set that buff whatever focus you have for your ship. Most set bonuses are lacklustre at best except for certain builds - e.g. Jem Mk XII for polaron users, Adapted MACO for torp boats, etc etc.

The best set bonuses imo are the Borg space set. If you have a high repair skill and shield skill as standard, its fantastic.
Rake Morgrave - Federation Human
Fade Akira - Federation Reman
Reza Malin - KDF Nausicaan
" Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first and the lessons after..."
Career Officer
# 6
07-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
So comparing the MACO resilient shield array mk XII to Elite fleet shields, which of the two is better and why?

Dumb question, I know, but I am curious, since I've heard mixed reviews on mk XII Elite Fleet Shields.

I can't answer that for you. At least not easily. But I can show you how to get the answer yourself.

Step one is to decide if your ship needs shields or not. Think about it, weigh the pros and cons and choose. Shields. Yes or no?

Step two, if you've decided yes, is to take those 'pro shield' factors and give them a priority ranking based on what you expect the shields to do and the circumstances under which they will have to do them.

Do the SAME THING for your engine and deflector. I'll wait.

(hours pass)

Okay then! Having done this you should have a partial profile of your ship. You should have a clear picture of what your power settings will need to be, of how fast and nimble your ship is expected to be (or not to be), and how you intend to handle incoming fire. Incoming FIRE, not damage. Two very different things.

Once you have those things, and understand the difference between incoming fire and damage you can choose the pieces you need.

By way of example, I'll never put Elite Shields on my BOP. Big waste. I would never gain the benefit those shields have to offer. They ROCK on my carriers though.

Once you lay it out that way it becomes very easy. Seems trite but there it is. If you can't seem to find a combination that fits what you've laid out it may be because the parameters you've chosen just don't fit together in the first place.

For example, "I'm going to avoid most of the incoming damage by using a fast engine, high engine power setting and just out maneuvering my opponents. I'll have the zippiest Galaxy EVER!!". Okay that may not work. No pieces will really satisfy that. Now if you were going to maximize shield power for resists and high aux for resists and heals, well you may have something there. And you may want some flavor of elite gear.

Cheers happy flying!
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Captain
# 7
07-13-2013, 07:43 AM
MACO shields are an awesome choice, you can't go wrong with them.

Like Thissler said, it comes down to your defense of choice.

If you're going to be zooming around with high speed/Defense or making hit and run attacks, MACO may be the better option since the Fleet Shields won't really have the time to start stacking the Res procs. However, if you're staying in the fight for more than like 5 seconds, Fleet Shields really start to shine.

But if you're using Leech, you've got to decide which you like more - MACO and Leech don't stack.
The first we heard of getting new PvP maps "soon" was in August of 2010. We're consistently told something will be coming with the "next" update. Absolutely nothing has come to PvP since launch.

I think it's finally time Cryptic stopped stringing us along, don't you?
Commander
# 8
07-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Asking for legitimate advice rarely brings out the flamers
K'eg/T'lol/Dude/Yak
Captain
# 9
07-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post

The Elite Fleet Shields adapt, so you'll quickly get a 20% resist to whatever's shooting you (if it isn't making enough shots to maintain the ten stacks of 2% resist, it probably isn't doing enough damage to be a threat in the first place). Not to mention that they have an extra 15% resist to three damage types. ResB I think is better, because it resists the three favorite energy types (antiproton, plasma, disruptor).
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
The Forgotten Battle - a new Foundry mission
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Captain
# 10
07-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Hrmmm, I'm surprised there weren't more folks that said what Thissler said. It's going to depend. Without knowing what kind of build you've got otherwise, what you're planning to do, and even who you might generally be flying with...the question can't be answered. Cause it's going to depend.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin