Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 279
# 11
07-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by variise1984 View Post
The Thalaron Pulse is only devastating if you happen to catch a large number of ships in it. This is easier said than done when many NPC ships have EPtE and they zip around.

On average the amount of my total damage that comes from TP is 3-7% per engagement. That's with buffing it to or near 120 before firing. I think I'm done trying to cater to it however. It's just not worth it.

Then there is the real elephant in the room. The Romulan and Reman space sets are astonishingly poor. You get a deflector that boosts science, an engine that gives a slight turn bonus and/or defense bonus and the worst shield of all the sets as it has no resistance to anything and poor regen. The set bonuses are the same where you get a passive boost to PG (this is good) and a passive boost to speed/defense for Plasma torpedoes (what is this doing on a Reman set?), then it's topped off by yet another Science set bonus that boosts your maximum shield capacity when under fire. An utterly useless bonus for a tactical player. This was so lazy of them it's jaw dropping.

What Cryptic needs to do is re-do the space sets so they can be generally good for a ship type like they did with the Jem'Hadar set. I don't know why they stopped overhauling them there. Do they care?

Long story short you should be looking at some of the Omega rep sets if you want to be mildly useful.
I see alot of poor folks out there using the jem hadar and reman/romulan space gear...its quite sad. Best thing to do is goto your fleet store, buy elite fleet space gear or obtain the MACO MK XII and boom!, you will be effective again..stop using garbage gear and the ship is fine...l2p
Ensign
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 24
# 12
07-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvalle View Post
Expected such a response. Basically it comes down to L2P better. There is nothing wrong with the ship.

My advice is to obtain better gear...elite fleet, MK XII Maco or Adapted. The ship is not squishy, it is fine the way it is. Even oddessy's pop like popcorn against this beast of a ship.

Sorry, it is not the ship, it must be you.
And I expected such a retort.

I used the exact same gear on my Adapted Destroyer in the exact same STFs with less effective shields/hull (different skill setup). and had no such issues.

Some of us know what we are doing and have a fair amount of experience with different ships to know better.

You made your point. If you have nothing constructive to say then move along. From this point on I'm ignoring you and I suggest everyone do the same. Lets not feed trolls.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 42
# 13
07-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Ah, and there I was offering some (I hoped) useful suggestions and now there is a punch-up going on. Sigh.

Cant say I completely agree with the guy saying its not squishy, however he has a point that a lot of its survivability lies in the correct use of its abilities - particularly the cloak (or as he rather childishly put it, "l2p"). So you are both right, from a certain point of view. Play nice now please?

I did touch on this a fair amount in my OP - its not an easy ship to play. This was why I chose to post my comments here to maybe help others - im not claiming to be pro or the best scimi pilot out there but what ive learned so far has converted my experience of it from "a bit of a laugh" to "one of the most effective ships I own". Obviously getting Mk12 fleet or rep gear helps enormously, but bear in mind a lot of casual players wont have got tier 5 Omega rep on their Romulan characters yet. I have only just upgraded from Aegis to Mk12 Borg, and the improvement is staggering.

Anyway, I hoped this thread would garner some discussion and maybe some tips and insights from other players about how they made their scimis great. Thx for the comments so far.
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,065
# 14
07-14-2013, 03:19 PM
I don't get this l2p attitude. Firstly because you assume that others don't know what they are doing. Secondly, equipping the very best equipment to make the ship "survive" is not really learning to play.


Obviously, you need to adapt your gameplay to the ship's behaviour. I did and I'm having better results. But from the very first moment I noticed that the Scimitar is not as sturdy as one might think and certainly not as much as it probably should considering the ship it's supposed to be.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 42
# 15
07-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmgtorres1979 View Post
I don't get this l2p attitude. Firstly because you assume that others don't know what they are doing. Secondly, equipping the very best equipment to make the ship "survive" is not really learning to play.


Obviously, you need to adapt your gameplay to the ship's behaviour. I did and I'm having better results. But from the very first moment I noticed that the Scimitar is not as sturdy as one might think and certainly not as much as it probably should considering the ship it's supposed to be.
Yeah, fair point. Most people will probably get the fact that better kit is better. Sadly the guy telling us to "l2p" offered no advice other than "get Mk12 gear".

Completely agree with you that getting used to the Scimi's abilitys and how best to deploy them gives better results. Would be interested to know how you adapted your playstyle with it to make it more effective (this being the point of the thread ).
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,610
# 16
07-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unheard1978 View Post
Can you please post a skill planner and please can you tell me tell me the best space set use ?

Can you also tell any good rep skill that will make the scimitar better please.
Thank you
Depends what you want from your Scimitar. If you want tank, there's one thing you can use, you want pure damage, there's another.

What do you want your ship to do? Answer that, and then we can answer your question.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder. <--- DR proved me wrong!
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,065
# 17
07-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeson99 View Post
Yeah, fair point. Most people will probably get the fact that better kit is better. Sadly the guy telling us to "l2p" offered no advice other than "get Mk12 gear".

Completely agree with you that getting used to the Scimi's abilitys and how best to deploy them gives better results. Would be interested to know how you adapted your playstyle with it to make it more effective (this being the point of the thread ).
Well, firstly I admitted and accepted that "battleship play" was out of the question at least the way I do it on my Odyssey. So, I used an escort configuration on it and play it like one. DHC and quantum torpedo launcher fore, all turrets aft. Tactical slots with damage % boost for Polaron (I bought phased polaron from the exchange) and the set consoles on engineering and science slots. I added a neutronium on the engineering slot and the zero point console on the last science slot. Paratrinic shield, singularity core that gives + to shield, engines that give turn and positronic deflector for + shields and structural integrity. The plan is to eventually (it will take some time) replace the polarons with romulan plasma and get MACO shields. Also, the borg console will probably replace the neutronium. Not sure yet.
The BOff abilities are:

2 Tactical Team
APB
APO
Cannon scatter volley
Cannon rapid fire
Torpedo spread
Engineering Team
Emergency power to shields
Reverse shield polarity
Hazzard emitters
Science team

The strategy is to do as much damage as possible on the alpha strike and try not to stand still. Using firing while cloaked every time I can and using secondary shields and quantum absorption to deal with the damage taken when I do need to be stationary. First attack is usually APO + Scatter volley + Torpedo spread + TT, then APB + Cannon rapid fire when they cool down from the shared cool down period the first strike puts them on.
Also, when I fire while cloaked, I usually decloak after the alpha strike so that the APB + CRF gets the decloak damage buff.

The Scimitar also made me "selfish". While on the Odyssey I can survive without great care, thus I tend to use the heals on others, on the Scimitar I can't normally do the same. I do it at times, but not as much. It's a more "romulan" style, no doubt.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 42
# 18
07-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Know what you mean about the "selfish" aspect of the ship. Ill throw a hazard emitters etc at others if we have just finished a group and I have no chance of getting aggro, but otherwise they are for me thx

My setup weapons wise is very similiar to yours with cannons, turrets, torp and cutting beam. Went with photons as I am currently using a doff that can give shield power every time you fire so I figured go for faster firing torps.

Boff setup is quite different from mine which just illustrates that there are a lot of viable builds. Only thing I would say about yours is you have a lot of the "team" abilities which have shared cooldowns so could be problematic. That said, if it works for you then its all good.

Interesting to see how someone else has built it. Thx for sharing
Ensign
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 24
# 19
07-14-2013, 08:23 PM
This might help. This is still very much a work in progress but this current build can do between 5,400 - 6,700 EncDPS in elite Borg STFs.

I'm still two weeks away from Tier5 Rep sets. Not sure how far until my fleet unlocks the XII Ultra Elite Singularity Core. We unlock the interior of the mine in a few days so that pitiful item I use now will get replaced soon. I also don't have a perfect DOF setup as some are only rare.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...ayedangel_4243

Note: I use Very Rare Romulan Drones and they help immensely.

Also you can't see my science consoles because stoacademy doesn't have the Scimitar consoles listed yet. I'm still running with all 3 to test various things.

Last edited by variise1984; 07-14-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Survivor of Remus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 132
# 20
07-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Depends what you want from your Scimitar. If you want tank, there's one thing you can use, you want pure damage, there's another.

What do you want your ship to do? Answer that, and then we can answer your question.
Hi all, thank you for your posts.
Im a tac, I will be flying a Scimitar.
I have based my builds around the work of dontdrunkimshoot

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=821

and my consoles and the skills that boosted them.
I would like my build's to be used in estfs and pvp.
I have tried to hit 125/125/125/130 with the leech consoles ( I may swap for maco shields, if thats better ??? ) the reason for this is T4 nukara rep skill for the 20% bonus. I just dont know which to pick yet. ( any ideas ? ) and tanking

also one of my builds has tyken's rift the reason for this is there is a rom doff the reduces non boffs skills CD from the deflector dish by 50% aka Thalaron Pulse.

blank spaces are the rom dread 3pc.
my warp core on both will be the fleet warp core that boosts my shields and engines power.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...ewscimitar_993

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...wscimitar2_993

please post any info to help me, it would be great to get views,

Last edited by unheard1978; 07-14-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23 PM.