Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 1 Massively Recaps STLV 2013
08-20-2013, 04:00 PM
In this week's Captain's Log entry, Columnist Terilynn Shull recaps STO's presence at this year's Star Trek Las Vegas Convention.

Additionally, as previously mentioned, several more Voth and Dyson Sphere concept art images are available to view in this column.

Link to the column.
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
08-20-2013, 05:13 PM
sounds like you all had 1 fantastic time indeed, thanks for the read as its looking pretty awesome for season 8..
Career Officer
# 3
08-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
In this week's Captain's Log entry, Columnist Terilynn Shull recaps STO's presence at this year's Star Trek Las Vegas Convention.

Additionally, as previously mentioned, several more Voth and Dyson Sphere concept art images are available to view in this column.

Link to the column.
So first it was Season 8, then it was Season 9, and now its Season 8 again? Just skip both and make this year's-end update be Season 10.
Career Officer
# 4
08-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the LINK BranFlakes.

...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Lieutenant
I'm really trying to get behind the Dyson sphere images here, but I have a problem. This interviewer Terilynn Shull, who I don't have a lot of respect for anyway, explains a dyson sphere as: "The theory is that a civilization will be able to create an area on the inner wall of the sphere that will be able to maintain an atmosphere and draw all of its required power directly from the star."

But this isn't right. A Dyson sphere, is a power source for a type II space civilization (one that can harness all the energy of a sun). It is a structure designed to harness all of the energy of a star. It seems that if such a structure were to be built it should look more like a power station than a park. Any surface that isn't collecting lightwaves with solar panels or collecting heat from the sun, is not being utilized properly.

That being said, that popular physicist Michio Kaku describes a type I civilization (one that can harness all the energy of a planet) as one where people can live on the ocean, stop storms, and things like this. So perhaps also utilizing that area as a living space is more practical anyway-- who knows. Also if the Romulans are using black holes as power supplies, it would make a Dyson sphere obsolete.

But if you thought of it that way, it reduces the whole premise to absurdity. So play on Cryptic. I would much rather play in the Dyson sphere than have no new content. But I wish you guys would think about continuity and theoretical matters more. Star Trek fans are suppose to be consistency and detailed oriented -- If you are the fans that Terilynn would argues that you are, I wish you would be too.

Last edited by qultuq; 08-22-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Captain
# 6
08-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post

Link to the column.
so i guess it was a lie when the pvp community was told that the next season after 7 would be mainly focused on pvp?

why am i not surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Empire Veteran
# 7
08-22-2013, 10:24 AM
I rather have a Gorn Rebellion + FE IMO
R'tolves Will Spread Thier Peace and Will Prevail Over the Hostiles Who Dare Hurt Such A Isolationist Consitutional Monarchy!

Starfleet Veteran
# 8
08-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Is that a cyborg dinosaur? WHERE DO I CLICK?

Quote:
But this isn't right. A Dyson sphere, is a power source for a type II space civilization (one that can harness all the energy of a sun). It is a structure designed to harness all of the energy of a star. It seems that if such a structure were to be built it should look more like a power station than a park. Any surface that isn't collecting lightwaves with solar panels or collecting heat from the sun, is not being utilized properly.
In nearly every science fiction depcition, the sphere also houses the civilization. Such as the one in Next Generation, which contains lakes and continents.

Last edited by hevach; 08-22-2013 at 10:57 AM.