Ensign
# 411
07-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Hi Cryptic , my kid downloaded this Ark , by mistake...

WHY THE HELL IS THE ARK YOUSING MY BROADBAND WHEN NO ONE PLAY THE GAME ......

I only got slow broadband and when someone surf on internet , its lagging , like hell.

Well the comuter only youst to play game on , so i install a firewall + malware traker.

And WOW .... intresting program this ARK is , and i also find a intresting file on the hardrive
abigone ,, and it whas hide file.

Well i open this file tomorrow and se what is in it.
Captain
# 412
07-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Wait....what....this ARC rubbish will be compulsory?
Career Officer
# 413
07-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Really? Can't you guys leave the system alone, it works well enough as it is.
Captain
# 414
07-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprometheus79 View Post
this ARC rubbish will be compulsory?
it will ? , where does it say that please as I have not read all 42 pages
Career Officer
# 415
07-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Well, technically, it's not compulsory, but they're making it appear as though it is.

New players definitely will not know all they need to play the game is the game client files.

Hopefully, it never gets to the point where they make it compulsory in one way or another.

But unfortunately, without a direct hosted client download (it's hidden or it's been removed), our access to STO without using Arc will be problematic.
Or impossible!

My advice, make sure you have the game client now, so you can avoid using Arc in the future.

Otherwise, your one and only option will be to use the Steam direct download.
Commander
# 416
07-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolight View Post
While I don't plan on downloading or using Arc myself right now, I find it interesting that the reactions here seem almost exactly the same as Steam when it first came out.

Steam had people complaining about having to use a platform for just 1 game they wanted, a platform that only worked with the one company's products, complained about the resources it took up, etc.
And for the record at least one avid gamer has never played a game offered by Steam (or Origin, etal). I used to spend a few hundred a year on computer games but the gaming industry has shot itself in the foot as far as I'm concerned with its recent trends. My last expenditure was the STO prelauch LTS and I considered it a gamble that, to be honest, I will most likely never do again.
Lieutenant
# 417
07-26-2013, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolight View Post
While I don't plan on downloading or using Arc myself right now, I find it interesting that the reactions here seem almost exactly the same as Steam when it first came out.

Steam had people complaining about having to use a platform for just 1 game they wanted, a platform that only worked with the one company's products, complained about the resources it took up, etc.

So I'm not going to hate on it, or blame them for trying it. Though I'm probably not going to use it at this stage either, but will see where it goes.
I was one of the first to try Steam, and I am going to blame them, because in the beginning Steam was a bug riddled mess and is no more secure now than it was then. It still gets hacked, your information still gets stolen. But it was a success because at the end of the day Valve demonstrated a concern for their customers far and above what Perfect World is remotely willing to consider.

The entire point of Steam is to control who gets their IP merchandise and when. But Valve knows they're screwing you by making it's game discs essentially license keys, forcing you to download a game and preventing you from having it on any physical media. So they do whatever they can, bending over backwards to provide the best value they possibly can, at arguably some of the best prices online.

The reason Origin and Uplay have failed so miserably is because both were created with no intent to provide greater value to the consumer.

Look no further than EA's on again-off again CEO John Riccitello talking about how it was insane for digital merchandise to be sold at normal retail prices, and then look at the completely unchanged prices on Origin. And even Ubisoft, while nowhere near as draconian or malevolent as EA, utterly failed to compensate the players for the inconvenience created by Uplay with anything of any real value that would make people actually want to install it.

Looking at their history, can you see Perfect World, a company with a track record of customer service and respect roughly on par with Electronic Arts, managing to pull off what both EA and companies with much more goodwill towards their consumer base have failed to do?

Steam doesn't take up tons of memory as it runs in the background. Steam doesn't install plugins to an incredibly vulnerable and exploitable part of windows. And I guarantee you that the "promotions" promised to ARC users will have nowhere near the amount of value Steam offers with simple DLC packs.
Survivor of Romulus
# 418
07-26-2013, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickob View Post
Hi Cryptic , my kid downloaded this Ark , by mistake...

WHY THE HELL IS THE ARK YOUSING MY BROADBAND WHEN NO ONE PLAY THE GAME ......

I only got slow broadband and when someone surf on internet , its lagging , like hell.

Well the comuter only youst to play game on , so i install a firewall + malware traker.
And these are exactly the type of issues I was talking about. Besides of being nothing but bloatware, Arc will actually affect the performance of the PCs of many players here.

Some obviously will experience lag and slow boradband like the man I'm quoting here.
Since it's confirmed it uses your broadband, it will create issues to people that are on a monthy limit.
Running in background with the huge system requirements (for something as trivial as it is) will deteriorate the game performance for people with older or weaker setups that play and enjoy the game on low setings. Arc will make the final footstep overboard for them.

This would all be cool and we could all say that "Technology evolves" and weaker and older setups can't hold back the progress, if this was something that would enhance the game. Arc will do no such thing, so basically it will punish people with limited boradband, slower connection or weaker PC setups basically for nothing!

Is there any point to the discussion at the moment? I'm not sure anymore. The fact is that - Arc is already mandatory. We can try to spin it one way or another, but if any new person trying to play STO has to use Arc and if every current player that needs to reinstall because of an issue or bought a new PC and wants STO on that one has to install through Arc, then it's pretty much mandatory. You will excuse me if I'm not buying that "Arc is not mandatory for the time being".
The cold fact is that people who don't use it are becomming a dying breed, bacause at one point or another, everyone will need to reinstall or face an issue and then - "oh hello, madatory Arc!".

So again, I'm just going to ask the question - Is this how you want to treat your customers? Do you really believe that you'll achieve longetivity and success for the game with actions like these and forcing something on the playerbase?

I hope you guys have some some sort of psychic metric that allows you to see how many new people wanting to try STO were discouraged when the saw Arc on the page and decided not to bother with the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickob View Post
And WOW .... intresting program this ARK is , and i also find a intresting file on the hardrive
abigone ,, and it whas hide file.

Well i open this file tomorrow and se what is in it.
Please come back here afterwards sir, and share what you found out. I'm quite interested about it.
Because true Starfleet Captains command Exploration Cruisers!
Thank you Cryptic for finally giving me MY SHIP!!!
Career Officer
# 419
07-26-2013, 04:14 AM
At least he could have started the post with "We are sorry to announce that from now on you will have to use our...!"
Even as a PR guy you can't seriously be trying to spin it into a way that makes it seam like people will be happy having to install some bloatware.

Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
Career Officer
# 420
07-26-2013, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Ooh-ooh! I know!

Let subscribers opt-out of Arc!

I'd sub for that.
Let us add LTS' to that wish... ...mmkay
Vice Admiral Kerayz of the Federation of Misfits.
Closed Thread