Super Moderator
# 41
07-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Okay...

I don't run Steam and I don't use Raptr. They are installed only because of the special STO rewards. They are completely optional to my gaming experience and I don't have to incur any overhead (cpu, ram, etc) if I don't want to. Given the age of my laptop, this is an important point. I try to shut down anything I don't need running while I'm playing.

Let's define what we mean when we're concerned about it being "invasive". If this is basically just a unified launcher for PWE games, well, that's not unique to PWE. The real concern is what is this "launcher" doing exactly while we're playing the game?

What overhead will Arc impose, if any?

Does it have a separate communication channel from the game itself? Or, in other words, will there be yet another port open to yet another server or will it use the same server connections that the game currently uses? (I imagine the answer is yes, separate.)

If you're not using the overlay, what exactly does this do in the background? Is it collecting information? Such as? If you use the web browser overlay in game, does it collect that information too?

Will Arc be "user-friendly" to run STO under WINE or virtualization? Or is it Windows-only and going to be a torture for Mac and Linux Wine users?

I gotta tell you... I'm already feeling a sense of rebellion about running the latest version of Windows and STO is one of those things that I grudgingly admit I might want Windows for. I'm also considering giving up STO altogether and cutting the Windows ties to my personal PC more-or-less permanently.

You might want to think twice about anything that limits users' options.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Rihannsu
# 42
07-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Sad thing is, they don't care. It's business and for PWE it's better to force... I mean "encourage" people to be able to play their other games with a click of a button, so they would spend even more Zen on even more games. As for others, we can cry all we want, but they know that most of us will just have to deal with it if we want to keep playing...

What I don't like are all the buzzwords used. That it's all for us, that they want our experience to be better blah blah yada yada. I don't believe a word of it. Personally, I just want to be able to play my game, and the less apps I have to launch to do so, the better.

Good thing with STO launcher is that it's what it is - a launcher. This "Arc" on the other hand seems like yet another bloatware client running in the background, collecting data, forcing adverts, encouraging "easy Zen purchase" and so on... Do not want.
Career Officer
# 43
07-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiva View Post
I was glad when I realised I didn't have to go through the last 'account linking' since I came late enough to get a pwe account, but now you're about to do something even worse...
I, too came after the account linking, but at least that was just switching from one log-in client to another. This is another creature entirely. I used to play Sins of a Solar Empire. Then I had to download Origin to play it and it became impossible to update.

Please, PWE, don't kill off this game we've come to love.

Porthos is not amused.

Last edited by collegepark2151; 07-16-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 44
07-16-2013, 02:27 PM
other than "free offers", what do I get with this Arc?
Is it like Raptor and Core Connect?

What does PWE get with ARC?
Career Officer
# 45
07-16-2013, 02:27 PM
I absolutely hate everything about ARC from the concept of the thing to the what would appear to be the little baby steps marketing wise and PR wise to try and convince us to accept it. It is inevitable that eventually they will be forcing this crap on us. Inevitable.
The first step to forcing it on all users, which is exactly what is happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
... First, we want to test it out, add new features, make sure people like it, and, above all else, grow it into something that players want to use because it legitimately improves the overall game experience...
Good Luck with that. People aren't going to like it, but we're gonna get forced to use it anyway if we want to play our favorite game. People are not going to "want" to use it, because there is no way that a LAUNCHER is going to improve my game experience playing STO.

The LAUNCHER I have now works just fine thanks. i don't need one that serves as an Advertising board or a bunch of games i don't want to play. On the whole, non Cryptic Perfect World games don't appeal to me in the slightest.

Make no mistake, we will eventually be forced into using this crap.
I am sure that the PR will try to make it look like all sunshine and rainbows, but it's crap.
It's a cheap marketing gimmick to force someone to look at other PWE games while logging into their preferred game. It's like billboards on the side of the road.
It's unwlecome.
But get used to it.

Resistance is futile.
Captain
# 46
07-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Thank you bluegeek! My angry posts are eclipsed by your intelligent and well worded post!
Career Officer
# 47
07-16-2013, 02:29 PM
I feel a small amount of sympathy for Cryptic in this matter. WHEN this becomes mandatory to play STO, I am sure I won't be the only one looking for a new game to play.
Commander
# 48
07-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondersc View Post
I know that Arc users will likely have to wade through adverts for PWE cookie-cutter fantasy rpgs and such.
Exactly what I'm worried about. I will make this blatantly clear here:

I have no interest in any of the other titles that PWE produce. If I am interested in a game I will go out, research it and I will download it.

Me, not you, Me.

I trust my judgement infinitely more than I trust anyone else's, especially when that other persons interests diverge from my own, or can be seen to have an alternate motive.

Getting pestered "hey have you seen this game, we think its really cool" constantly is going to harm your chances to get me playing. If by some miracle I feel like having my wallet groped on a crowded bus I might well bimble over to PWE's website and see what they have.

However any game I've been forced to watch adverts for is going to get no chance.

Lets put it this way, go watch a sew of Youtube videos. You get three types of videos.
1: Adverts which you can't skip
2: Adverts which you can skip after 5 seconds
3: Annoying banners.

Fun fact: only one of those adverts Has worked. I voluntarily watched or paid attention to a couple of Option 2 ones, as it got my interest in the first 5 seconds. All the others can go get their hair dried by a jet engine.

Ok, apologies that turned into a bit more of a rant than I was intending.
Career Officer
# 49
07-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondersc View Post
I feel a small amount of sympathy for Cryptic in this matter. WHEN this becomes mandatory to play STO, I am sure I won't be the only one looking for a new game to play.
I, too, feel bad for Cryptic, especially after all the hard work they put into LOR.

Porthos is not amused.
Super Moderator
# 50
07-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Ooh-ooh! I know!

Let subscribers opt-out of Arc!

I'd sub for that.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Closed Thread