Rihannsu
# 501
08-06-2013, 04:47 PM
From some one who was just forced to download this Arc crap after rebuilding a new machine, I have found 2 things I have seen asked and not answered( to my knowledge).

-There is a check mark box to not have this thing launch automatic when windows starts up.

-You can navigate to the directory you installed STO in and run the launcher from there. No Arc needed (for now). Haven't tried uninstalling Arc to see if STO still usable though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samir Bennal, Captain of the Onyxhammer
Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
Starfleet Veteran
# 502
08-06-2013, 05:28 PM
IMO, this is just like like the early days of the Station Launcher from SOE... I am sure there are many of you out there that remember the days of launching MxO and/or SWG from their own launchers, and the debacle that started when the all-encompassing Station Launcher came into being.

That launcher was forced upon us so they could advertise their other games (the worthless ones they didn't want to spend money advertising for).

Like the SOE Launcher, this one will keep people from being able to login to ANY PWE/Cryptic game when the Arc Launcher is bugged. No playing customers = no paying customers, when this happens.

It basically forces you to add more bloatware onto your PC, thereby reducing gaming performance.

You'll get those "cheesy" advertisements on your Arc interface for their other games... You know, the ones that you won't be playing anyway.

This is just another method of "herding" the customer base and bombarding us with spam about their in-house games.

In all fairness, however, there are other gaming companies out there doing the same thing. PWE/Cryptic is just jumping on the band-wagon as it were.
P r o j e c tP h o e n i x

Last edited by ixionveridian; 08-06-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Career Officer
# 503
08-07-2013, 02:19 AM
I've read the FAQ. It's insulting.

It is said that it is best to be polite when expressing concerns on the forums. Catching more flies with honey, and all that. Many people have been. Just to be insulted by this farce of a FAQ.

You are only making things worse. Stop it.

Honestly, my opinion of PWE (there is no Cryptic-Just watch the latest "On Screen" and observe the shirts they are wearing) is so low that I now believe that Arc will be stealth implemented. Just one more little forgotten line in the patch notes.

It's not a big deal, really. Nature abhors a vacuum and once you've successfully killed Star Trek Online Something else will come along to fill that void. That something else will have the benefit of a model not to follow.

PWE's actions tell us how little we are valued every day. The truth of the matter is PWE's time is running out.
Starfleet Veteran
# 504
08-07-2013, 04:14 AM
For those who do not know...

I downloaded and installed Arc a while ago and found this out.

If you start a game through Arc, you cannot close the program while that game is running.

Personally, I do not like having to run Arc in the background just to play a game. I play CO and STO, and have multiple accounts for both games. This seems to be yet another hurdle to jump just to play an online game. This, I feel, is ridiculous. I find it much easier to switch accounts from the current launcher of each game.

Yes, the whole centralization thing sounds nice, and I would love to see our Accolades and stuff for our characters posted publicly. However, those things are available only for games such as Forsaken World, War of the Immortals, etc. FW and WotI are games I have dabbled with in the past and have "Achievements" posted there through Core Connect, which is supposedly what Arc is supposed to incorporate and improve upon based upon the FAQ. Maybe I would be more open to this if there was some actual benefit for us using Arc... maybe rewards similar to what we get for using programs such as Raptr, for example. If Arc was worth my while, I would probably even drop Raptr in favor of it. As it stands for now, If we get the option to not be required to run every PWE game through Arc, I'll just keep my setup as it is now and load each game manually.

IMO, it will be a while before they alter the actual game launcher coding to actually "force" us to use Arc to load their games. Until that day comes, if that day comes, I plan to keep things as they are on my PC until I see a real reason to add another program running in the background and using up my resources.
P r o j e c tP h o e n i x

Last edited by ixionveridian; 08-07-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 505
08-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixionveridian View Post
For those who do not know...

I downloaded and installed Arc a while ago and found this out.

If you start a game through Arc, you cannot close the program while that game is running.
All I will say is this: If the above quoted is accurate, that is an automatic non-starter for me even trying ARC. I will no longer play STO ever when ARC becomes mandatory for all players.

Brandon, I implore you, either confirm or deny this ASAP!

Thank you for the time...
CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
Expand Dil and Fleet Marks to regular story content
Career Officer
# 506
08-07-2013, 01:20 PM
...Finally read that """"""""FAQ""""""""", I can't put enough quotes around that.........

...But it did lead me to another question - where do they get these questions from?
Do they just pull them out of the air and say they are player questions?......
Sound of Interstellar Space

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Captain
# 507
08-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpyecho View Post
...Finally read that """"""""FAQ""""""""", I can't put enough quotes around that.........

...But it did lead me to another question - where do they get these questions from?
It wouldn't surprise me, but there's probably some method to their madness
__________________________________________________ __
For those of you who have complimented me on my Avatar, I'm wondering what you're talking about. I don't have one.

SILENCE WILL FALL....................Why the hell did I just say that
Captain
# 508
08-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpyecho View Post

I hazzard a guess the "Generic FAQ Questions for Dummies" book where the real questions would be too hard to answer or show the "wonderful" feature in a bad light.
Captain
# 509
08-08-2013, 06:39 AM
Reading this thread one thing is paramount

Cryptic/PWE does not listen or care about the opinons of their player base they are doing what they want when they want to regardless if the players want it or not.

I for one will not be downloading this ARC bs once its implemented i will be leaving the game simple as that.

I was about to sink a some cash into the game to buy some stuff from the c-store but....no chance of that now.

I may start looking elswhere for something to play cryptic really screwed the pooch with this ARC crapola.

Cryptic/PWE better think about if they push players to hard they will have a massive die off of players and that gamers will warn one another about crappy games or games that force stuff on you that you dont want.
Captain
# 510
08-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorantomalak View Post
Reading this thread one thing is paramount

Cryptic/PWE does not listen or care about the opinons of their player base they are doing what they want when they want to regardless if the players want it or not.

I for one will not be downloading this ARC bs once its implemented i will be leaving the game simple as that.

I was about to sink a some cash into the game to buy some stuff from the c-store but....no chance of that now.

I may start looking elswhere for something to play cryptic really screwed the pooch with this ARC crapola.

Cryptic/PWE better think about if they push players to hard they will have a massive die off of players and that gamers will warn one another about crappy games or games that force stuff on you that you dont want.
You will not rage quit. I have seen this near-exact posts in regarding almost every new feature in STO, like ftp and linking our accounts to the pwe main site.

I do agree with one poster that ARC does not need to be running while I play, that just wasting computer resources.
Closed Thread