Captain
# 101
08-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Steam.
As we sometimes say in the game Jedi Academy...
GG no RE.
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/144/0/2/sto_sig_character_by_rattler20200-d7jlk1h.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voth Guy
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Survivor of Remus
# 102
08-29-2013, 10:10 AM
I see quite a few posts regarding Arc being a "RAM eater" but rarely is there any data provided to support these claims. I've seen browser tabs using more memory than Arc, so I'm curious about the RAM eating issues people are speaking of. Can anyone elaborate?
Starfleet Veteran
# 103
08-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodthirsty187 View Post
Ok Cryptic/PWE, a lot of us Beta-Lifetime Vets have taken all these changes over the last couple years and we keep playing. This new Arc launcher is absolutely horrible! No matter what I try I can not get the game to login and start up. There was absolutely no need for another RAM eating program to be added for us to be able to log in.

I have 3 accounts, my Beta-Lifetime Vet account, and two free to play accounts totaling 20 max rank characters of both factions. I am also the leader of two Fleets. It is more than angering to not be able to log in to even check if Starbase missions need added, or even to play at all for that matter. Please get rid of this horribly programmed, unnecessary added, RAM eating game laucher that will not even do what it is supposed to do...Launch the damn game!
I don't mean to be blunt, but just use steam, or your retail cd if u have one. I never use it for the ram vampricness reason. Its really bad.
Lieutenant
# 104
08-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Get rid of the damn thing. It's pointless bloat that I'm sure will be used to try to sell us stuff.

I launch the loaders for PWE game directly and skip the thing.
Lieutenant
# 105
08-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva570 View Post
I don't mean to be blunt, but just use steam, or your retail cd if u have one. I never use it for the ram vampricness reason. Its really bad.
Now, I'm all for NOT using extra clients and/or systems to launch/manage games whenever possible. I avoid Steam/Origin/or whatever whenever possible, for that reason alone.

HOWEVER!

Arc is by no means or hyperbolic stretch of the imagination a "ram vampire." A blank extra tab in my internet browser takes up more resources. So, I have no idea where you people are getting this bogus idea from.
Ensign
# 106 Arc Feedback
08-30-2013, 11:02 AM
I dont like the idea of having to load 1 program to load the game
the cryptic launcher is straight to the point, and i like that
the arc launcher seems more like advertising other games, rather than making playing star trek online quicker

however, i think arc technology is responsible for making the game playable with low ram.
i could be wrong, (even when using the cryptic launcher)
if im right, that aspect of arc is good, but other than this, i dont see much point to the new launcher.

thanks for reading my feedback. you have my best wishes in improving arc.
Ensign
i recently had to uninstall and reinstall sto due to the crashy, trying to fix it. i couldnt even get through a single playthrough of a mission without crashing, (record is 6 crashes on a single playthrough of khitomer) however, now i HAD to install a bs program like 'arc' to install and play sto again, the only difference now is i have log into arc, and log in to the sto launcher adding a needless step. why? i dont need to manage the games i play, sto IS the only video game i play anymore. but now thanks to arc and its uneccesary but madatory step, but it now takes me twice as long to get back in game after a crash costing me even more marks and dil, because i now have to load arc, and then load sto. ive accepted crytic will never fix the crashy issue, as i have been sending a minumum of 5 reports a day since risa ended (when the crashes began) im thinking of just walking away...
Lt. Commander
# 108
09-11-2013, 11:44 PM
I share your opinion, i had to un-install the game due to some many issues related to the game that iam installing and updating and if i don't have Arc open and login in it errors out. Thank you Cryptic and your Chinese overloads with the having to login twice to two different things. Unbelievable, if i don't like the way this acts iam done.
Starfleet Veteran
# 109
09-11-2013, 11:53 PM
You may have installed arc but you do not have to use it. You can go into the Sto directory and create a shortcut to your launcher. This will let you run the launcher and bypass arc.
Lt. Commander
# 110
09-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
You may have installed arc but you do not have to use it. You can go into the Sto directory and create a shortcut to your launcher. This will let you run the launcher and bypass arc.
What a way to miss the point. Read your post and then read the original question again. Get it now? If you don't need to use it, 'why now do we need to install it?'.