Career Officer
# 121 Love the arc
02-13-2014, 12:05 AM
Arc System works great, should have a patch notes window,

Gateway is good but needs a DOFF add in, and would like to modify ship load out via gateway. would recomend adding fleet chat.
Career Officer
# 122
02-13-2014, 12:55 AM
The only problem I am having with ARC is the same one many people seem to have and that is the thing is a RESOURCE HOG. It also slows down my machine enough that it affects my ability to Podcast a Live stream of the game, as I cannot keep everything running with ARC eating SO MANY resources.
Career Officer
# 123
02-13-2014, 12:40 PM
i can also confirm that it slows down my back up computer which is more or less a new rig. since the previous installation was corrupted, went after this ARC to see how it goes. for now its just too much trouble then it is worth to keep on the system because its this heavy.

intel i5-4670 3.4ghz
z87m gaming intel m-atx mobo
radeon hd6700 2gb
4gb corsair ddr3
750w psu
1tb sata hdd

even with that, sto is suffering with arc in the background.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T6 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T6 hero ship.
Captain
# 124
02-21-2014, 07:59 AM
Overall it is ok meaning it has some good sides to using it, but it is also a memory hog as in takes up virtually 1/4 of what the game client itself uses.

I do like the information it provides and the ease of purchasing zen along with how fast the game client downloaded, but when trying to use the forum it is kind of lame how once signed into ARC that you need to sign into the forum from there as well.
[Combat (Self)] Your Lunge deals 3252 (1916) Physical Damage(Critical) to Heavy Tactical Drone.
If you have come to the forums, to complain about the AFK penalty, than it is WAI.
MACO/OMEGA/KHG Accolade Bug Link
Praetor of The Romulan Tal Shiar fleet
Ensign
# 125
02-23-2014, 12:05 PM
I joined Start trek online, downlaoded it via steam and set up a account on perfect world.
2 days later i am forced into downloading arc client and game again if i want to subscripe to the game.
How is that in any way fair to Steam users?
And i have no intention of installing Arc client if it's a major ressource hog like most people claim it to be.
Career Officer
# 126
02-23-2014, 01:16 PM
I myself don't care for Arc, it's mostly just a steam ripoff, I mean just look at the user interface. I downloaded it to get the free stuff, but I've gone back to using steam.

My fleet mates don't care for it as well. They have all removed it and gone back to their original non arc installs.

One thing i can't stand is the browser integration. I'm tired of everyone wanting to add their bloatware crap to my browser.
Ensign
# 127
03-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. HATE it. Get it?

STO is the only perfect world game I play, the only one I will ever play. Another Steam ripoff does me zero good. I could care less about resource use. What PWE is doing is forcing us to install useless and needless, potentially unsecure, marginally malicious software so they can jam more advertising into your eyes.

I have gone as far as installing ARC and STO on a machine I intend to wipe (I'll get all the freebies this way) in an effort to keep this garbage off my main computers. I will play STO as long as an option exists to play without ARC

Feedback is served

Last edited by eizen745; 03-06-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Survivor of Remus
# 128
03-07-2014, 12:04 AM
I just done a fresh install of Arc and STO. Because when i loaded STO it would crash at the first loading screen everytime. I could get past the crash by running in admin mode. But thought, if it was crashing, there was something wrong with a file somewhere. Hence why i decided to do a fresh install.
i disabled the on demand patching as i dont like it patching at the in between loading screens on STO.
Yes, big download, 13GB to be exact, thats why i let it run overnight while i was asleep
Anyway, i checked it when i got up, and was able to play STO no problem through Arc. No more patching needed. But upon loading STO by itself with Arc not running at all, (checked tray at bottom of windows desktop to make sure),STO wants to patch another 3831MB.
When it started, i cancelled it, re-opened Arc and started STO again. It didnt need to patch thru Arc. So, i exited Arc and STO again, and restarted STO by itself once more, to find, it needs to patch the 3831MB.
Why is it patching when running STO by itself when i have already patched the entire game thru Arc? I havent encountered this problem before.
Just seems strange that i have to repatch the game if i run it with Arc not running.
Ensign
# 129 what is Arc
03-07-2014, 06:07 AM
Has anyone used this new Arc thing? What is it? What does it offer me?
Captain
# 130
03-07-2014, 06:08 AM
It's a Perfect World version is Steam essentially. It's a one stop launch site for all their games.