Captain
# 31
07-16-2013, 09:10 PM
Soooooooo what happens if you already have steam??????
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Ensign
# 32
07-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Installed easily, found my existing install of STO, and launched it properly--and automatically logged me in, to boot. It offered to install Neverwinter, and I may try that at some point in the future. So far, I like what I see.
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Since I have not yet been convinced to try this program, I'll instead provide feedback on the feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a19spectre View Post
Well, the install went smoothly. I hit launch, and it launched the old launcher, so as yet I see little use in this portion of the tool, but time will tell. Other than that, I haven't noticed any problems.
This, combined with the descriptions I've seen so far, seems to mean the software is worse than useless. So basically installing this would do nothing useful and instead *add* steps to launching STO, then eat up extra memory while STO is running? That certainly makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadandcircuses View Post
-Allows forum, support, etc access in-game and without a second login requirement... but for some reason keeps opening my normal browser that does require a second login for links within the Arc launcher news.
So you don't need to log in to the forums when opening them through Arc? That actually sounds useful, but *only* because of the bug that stops me from being able to stay logged in on the forums in my normal browser. And using this software because the forums themselves are bugged is not exactly desirable.

Once this software gets to the point of launching STO instead of just launching the launcher to launch STO, and if it will close after doing so (I have not seen any reports that it can be made to do this), then I *might* download it.

Dn'Dok, son of Ladok - Klingon/Romulan Engineer ~~ Mosa M'ren-faa - Ferasan Tactical
Krushan Twinn - Orion Science
Career Officer
# 34
07-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Been using Arc for a while now and it's alright. The download went fine and it recognized my install of STO, so I didn't have to reinstall the game.

I found a bug though. The default keybind to open up the Arc overlay is Shift+tab. When I use that in STO I find that my Shift key stops working in game after I bring the overlay up. This is a problem since Shift is the default sprint key for ground combat. So far the only way I've found to fix it is to log out of the game and log back in. It isn't a problem with my keyboard since it works perfectly as long as I don't use the overlay in game. Because of this I haven't used the overlay in a few weeks.

Some feedback on the browser function. It's very nice but it needs a few quality of life adjustments. First is smooth scrolling. I've gotten so used to it that going back to the old style scrolling is nasty lol. Second is forum post previews. What I mean is that normally in Firefox, when I hover my cursor next to a thread title I get a preview of the contents of that thread. I don't get that in the Arc browser and I find it somewhat frustrating.

Feedback on the overlay itself. I'm not fond of the dark text on a light background. It makes it difficult for me to read. I much prefer lighter text on a dark background. It's easier on my eyes.

The one thing I'd really like with this is an actual built in launcher instead of being a launcher for the launcher. That would be golden.

I'll keep using Arc, I have no problems with it. However those few adjustments would go a long way for me.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009

It's time for STO to get a complete UI overhaul.
Career Officer
# 35
07-16-2013, 10:58 PM
I know it is a day before the date we can actually download this and give feedback on it in relation to STO, but I have tested it with CO.

It is an extremely useless tool that adds extra steps to launching a Cryptic game. The features it provides are not worth the extra inconvenience it burdens us with and I hope that this is not becoming a required thing for Cryptic games.

There should only ever be one Steam. Please, for our sakes. I wish companies would respect that. It's getting to the point where we have to open a launcher to open a launcher to open a launcher to play a game. Not to mention if we also have to be logged in for any of those launchers.

No go on Arc. Please, don't do this to us..
Career Officer
# 36
07-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddwolf View Post
does this mean that STO will no longer be available to play/Download on STEAM???
I doubt it, Steam is another profit source for STO. This is due to the ability to use Steam Wallet funds, which are the ONLY way for non USA users without credit/debit cards to buy ZEN.
Quote:
If you can't solve it logically, solve it like a moron
Career Officer
# 37
07-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarronxld View Post
I know it is a day before the date we can actually download this and give feedback on it in relation to STO, but I have tested it with CO.

It is an extremely useless tool that adds extra steps to launching a Cryptic game. The features it provides are not worth the extra inconvenience it burdens us with and I hope that this is not becoming a required thing for Cryptic games.

There should only ever be one Steam. Please, for our sakes. I wish companies would respect that. It's getting to the point where we have to open a launcher to open a launcher to open a launcher to play a game. Not to mention if we also have to be logged in for any of those launchers.

No go on Arc. Please, don't do this to us..
Steam auto-loads and games have desktop icons which launch them instantly, the copies, such as Origin, do not and make loading games so much slower, not to mention that Steam is smooth and efficient and is useful, while Origin and the others are not.
Quote:
If you can't solve it logically, solve it like a moron
Career Officer
# 38
07-17-2013, 12:12 AM
Is this more bloatware that'll load itself into my desktop tray along with Steam, NVidia Experience and numerous other baloney I have to turn off?
Ensign
# 39
07-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Feedback

• The chat does not support STO characters.
  • You should integrate the game updating into ARC, one login, updates all installed games, then play means play, not checking for updates.
  • The guild membership is not right as it doesn't support STO fleets
  • If you don't support something yet in the client you should have some flag (exclamation mark) a user can click that lets them know the status the first time they visit that pane in AR
  • PWI started to install when I started ARC. I don't play that game so 6GB of storage would be wasted had I not stopped it.

Regards

Zerlargal
Ensign
# 40
07-17-2013, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by penthaligon View Post
Is this more bloatware that'll load itself into my desktop tray along with Steam, NVidia Experience and numerous other baloney I have to turn off?
Yes, yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerlargal View Post
Feedback
  • The chat does not support STO characters.
No Cryptic games are fully integrated with PWE yet. Just go to the CORE Connect page and try to find your STO characters or friends. Arc will be using the same information from CORE Connect so all those wonderful features they're describing (cross-game chat, achievements, etc) are of no use for Cryptic games.

Then there's this, from the thread in the Galactic News Network, page 15, first post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
*snip*

And then we have the PandoMediaBooster issue, which was the one that was the cause of the most vehement hostility.

According to what they said, PMB is a constant torrent streamer which is inbuilt into Arc.
Unless you force terminate it in background processes, it keeps streaming data, which can cap out your data limit or exceed it, resulting in excessive download fees from your ISP.

I even described it to a technical software expert who is not familiar with the Arc issues and after using a rude statement involving a swear word, they said it's garbage software, nobody with any sense allows it to be installed or used on their system.

And this is what they're pushing at us, a pointless piece of software to do the job that Steam already does.
And one that installs Malware on top of that!
If it really uses Pando Media Booster for downloading stuff then that's a big no for me. I hate that piece of software with a passion. "Speeds up your downloads!" Yeah more like slows it down because it's also uploading to other users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
I've said it before and will say it again, this is just a stunt to make us more aware of PWE's other games.

For Cryptic customers, this adds nothing, since we play only STO, CO and Neverwinter.
I doubt there is anyone out there who plays all of PWE's games and will install this program just to avoid seperate account logins.
This is why I hate game hubs. I don't want to play any of your other games. If I did, I'd still install them separately. So far with Arc I haven't seen anything other than STO related information when I started the program.
KingPin
08-11-2008