Captain
# 61
07-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Hi Captains,

Feel free to post feedback about your Arc download and STO install experiences here -- the Arc team will be watching this thread closely and looks forward to reading the feedback!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
I have a deep aversion against Programs running in the background, especially if they are supposed to download things without my knowledge.

Can Cryptic guarantee that no harmful thing get on my Computer?
Can Crpytic guarantee that i don't get spied on, while running that program?
Can Cryptic guarantee me that my data doesn't get into the wrong hands?

As soon as Arc gets mandatory i'm off then.

Just a personal Question, when are you (Crpytic) going to take care of thing that matter to us players, like this:
LINK

sollution:
LINK

Sorry for being emotional here, but i am sick of features like that, which only serve to annoy people. Now ban me or do what you want, i don't care.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-

The "TT and/or AtB less builds" - Thread
Career Officer
# 62
07-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Right out of the EULA for ARC "PWE does not warrant that the software wil be free of bugs, errors, viruses or other defects, transmit data in a secure manner or function properly."

The whole part about secure data transmition and virus free will keep me from useing this particular piece of software. If a company, in this day and age of mass data storage and use for marketing cant keep it safe, why would i consent to useing the software to begin with?
Career Officer
# 63
07-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Download went smooth as silk, the use is another story.

When useing the ARC interface to launch/play the game,
1) My computer spins up and goes over 90% utilization on all 4 cores, only game/interface to do that except for when i was helping map the genome.
2) Crashes constantly, even crashes the Cryptic reporting tool, after the client crashes.

Wont be using this
Ensign
# 64
07-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Wrong thread >.>

Last edited by arakur; 07-18-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 65
07-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yreodred View Post
I have a deep aversion against Programs running in the background, especially if they are supposed to download things without my knowledge.

Considering what we now know about Spying I think Cryptic can Guarantee that indeed you ARE being spied on. Rather or not this particular program itself is doing the spying is another matter though. (However... I suspect it does)

As for data going into the wrong hands... Well... In this case it will go into the PWE Marketing Department's hands first and foremost likely.
Captain
# 66
07-19-2013, 01:19 AM
Having been using Arc since it's release in May. Recently had to reinstall STO due to my system stuffing up (NOT STO RELATED). Decided this time though to D/L and install via Arc. Took next to no time to D/L and install much much faster than doing it via the official site.

Only one issue has arisen though. Since the update to STO last week, shift tabbing to bring up the overlay while in game has stopped working properly, sometimes it works, then sometimes it doesn't.

Could this be addressed please.
Live long and Prosper
Captain
# 67
07-19-2013, 01:26 AM

Harmful things only get on your computer if you allow then to do so.

We are being spied on 24/7 in various ways.

Your data only gets into the wrong hands if you allow it to do so.

YOU and you alone are responsible for your own personal information and you and you alone are responsible for the running of your computer system. If something were to go wrong with either your personal data or computer, you can not expect to find fault with anyone other than yourself. Harsh yes, but in today's world too much emphasis is put on find others to blame.
Live long and Prosper
Commander
# 68
07-19-2013, 03:44 AM
Download and installed ARC, lunch STO by it and get biggest lags ever. Almost every map need 2-3 minutes to load, couldn't run 10 meters without jumping back 3 meters. Shutdown ARC, start game directly by launcher lags gone.
Sorry for any mistakes, english isn't my primary language.

"Dear players we have for you new useless event and only-one-map-use-divices, and much more new "content", but we can't repair glitch in chat system which make mutes on private channels permament. So deal with it and give us your remaining money."
Captain
# 69
07-19-2013, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazzie View Post

Harmful things only get on your computer if you allow then to do so.

We are being spied on 24/7 in various ways.

Your data only gets into the wrong hands if you allow it to do so.

YOU and you alone are responsible for your own personal information and you and you alone are responsible for the running of your computer system. If something were to go wrong with either your personal data or computer, you can not expect to find fault with anyone other than yourself. Harsh yes, but in today's world too much emphasis is put on find others to blame.
THATS exactly why i decide not to install Ace.

If Ace would be mandatory to play STO and that program would spy on me or some other thing, then it would be Crypitcs fault, not mine.

Your argumentation is like saying "lock your front door with a new lock, if someone breaks in it's your fault alone, but never the fault of the intruder or the manufacturer who forced you to install the new lock on your front door."

But that purely academic, i won't install Ace anyway.
If Cryptic forces me to do so in order to play STO, then i would rather quit.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-

The "TT and/or AtB less builds" - Thread
Ensign
# 70 uh-oh
07-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a19spectre View Post
Well, the install went smoothly. I hit launch, and it launched the old launcher, so as yet I see little use in this portion of the tool, but time will tell. Other than that, I haven't noticed any problems.

The Arc overlay is interesting, but I cannot use the actual internet as yet. This would be handy for multi-tasking, as one of the biggest things I have to minimize the game for is searching the wiki for information.

Will our previously earned Achievements credit once development is finished, or are these completely new?

The Chat tool, will this be different from the in-game chat already in place?

Well, biggest problem I've found is that I can no longer use my multimedia keys (my keyboard now forces the F keys), and the Music Player tool in-game does not work. This could be a deal breaker, guys......Not only does it keep me from using my volume/multimedia keys, it forces goofy commands that I don't use. Note, this doesn't happen when I start using the launcher, only when I start the game using Arc.

As a side note, I plan to be spending between $500 and $1000 on this game in the next 6 months, unless these problems are going to be standard issue, in which case I will continue to be F2P (if at all) with limited expenditure....

Last edited by a19spectre; 07-19-2013 at 07:23 PM.